Poly Resort Review - 3/16/06 to 3/19/06

BBBFamily

Earning My Ears
We are a family of five -- Myself, DH and three teenage boys (16, 15 & 13). We just returned yesterday from a land/sea package. This trip report outlines our experience at the Polynesian Resort.

This was our first stay at the Poly and just our 2nd trip to WDW. I did not request a specific room/longhouse. We were part of a land/sea package which included two GV rooms. We stayed in Tahiti 1010 and 1009 (connecting).

Here are my opinions:

OVERALL: We enjoyed the plush landscaping - lots of opportunities for nice pictures. We liked the location and size of our rooms but were disappointed with housekeeping and general customer service. I contribute these unmet expectations to two things: Our first stay @ WDW was at the GF concierge so I think our expectations were just too high. Also, we did go to WDW at a very busy time for the resort - spring break.

SPECIFICS:

1) Good room size & location. Our Tahiti rooms were VERY large. The bathrooms were especially nice; loved the double sinks . The location was great - close to the TTC which we used often as it was faster than the monorail @ GHC. Our teens never used the pool but it was just a 2 minute walk to the quiet pool. Hubby & I did take a nice stroll on the beach and watched the fireworks. I do wish that we had an updated room - we didn't care too much for the older decor style (although it was clean and well-kept).

2) Housekeeping was a disappointment. My son became ill around Midnight and we cleaned up the mess ourselves (he missed the toilet - we didn't think it was nice to make them clean up THAT). But, we called housekeeping to get some disinfectant. About 45 minutes later a maintenance man from the GF showed up with new sheets and asked me "which bed." I explained that I didn't need new sheets - I simply needed some disinfectant for the bathroom - He seemed so confused. He did eventually return w/cleaner and cleaned the floor (not sure why - we expl'd it was the toilet). He did apologize for the confusion on the sheet issue - I completely understood - I was a little short on patience since my son was ill, it was late, etc. He expl'd that he was a maintenance man who works only at the GF but he was helping out at the Poly since there was NO ONE on duty. The short-staff in prime season caught me by surprise.

3) Housekeeping disappointment #2 -- As noted, I watched the GF maintenance man clean up the floor of the bathroom even though I mentioned several times it was the toilet that needed the disinfectant. But, given the time and my tiredness and level of patience, I just figured we'd address the toilet cleaning in the morning. Housekeeping knocked on the door before 8:00 am - they asked us if we needed clean linens today. Hubby said, "actually - we'd just like someone to disinfect the toilet." And the housekeeper replied, "So you don't want linens." DH replied, "No - if you could just disinfectant for the toilet." Again - she asked about the linens and DH just said, "no linens today thanks but cleaning the room yes." The housekeeper said she'd be back - I figured she'd gone to get the cleaner from the cart but she never returned. At Noon I called housekeeping - they said they'd send someone over. No one came. At 3:00 pm I went to the front desk - they handed me the phone and dialed housekeeping (which I could have done from the comfort of my room thank you)...I expl'd that this was my third attempt just to get some disinfectant - Finally at 4:00 pm a person showed up to disinfect the toilet. LUCKILY we had two bathrooms.

I've rationalized the housekeeping issues as there must be more than one cleaning crew - one for linens and one for actual cleaning. If both teams were staffed appropriately for the peak season - maybe someone called in sick?

4) Check-In Issue: We were checked in by a 120 yr old man ;) who made me blink every time he touched his computer keyboard because he pounded on it. I thought it was an endearing quality...but then I started asking questions and he became more and more irritated with me. I asked about a safety deposit box to store a few possessions and he told me to go to "guest services" and pointed towards Concierge (without looking up from his keyboard). I said, "Where?" (because I couldn't see a guest services sign). Turns out he really did mean Concierge which is apparently where EVERYONE goes for guest services. That was a little confusing to me.

Anyway ... The gentleman said, "call this # to see when your room is ready" (we checked in early). I asked "what is our room #?" and he became quite irritated and said, "You're in Tahiti - Just call the # on the card. Also you don't need a safe deposit box - just go check in at the cruise desk right now." So I just followed his orders and then went to guest services/concierge afterwards to store our important docs until we could check into our room.

Again, my expectations were probably too high. I expected him to be more helpful and he probably expected me to know that Concierge was for ALL guest services. I know they were busy and despite all my planning, I was more high maintenance than his tolerance allowed that day.

And, unfortunately, that sums up our stay at what really is a very nice resort!

there are always a few in the bunch dont ya think. Thanks so much for your report and sorry about your son being ill Your family sounds like my husbands. He is one of three sons.....Mil always says MY THREE SONS. Like the old program.
Thanks again for your report

Sorry to hear that your son got sick--that's never fun on vacation. I hope that it didn't last long.

Thanks for posting.

Enjoyed reading your report ~ Thanx for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter