Poly question and any other advice

hnfrisk

Earning My Ears
I'm still at square one in planning this vacation. It doesn't look like we'll be able to stay at WL so I'm researching into some other possibilities.
We are flying into Tampa and staying with friends for a couple of days and then heading to Disney. I ultimately wanted to stay at WL but we have a budget of $5000 (including everything) and a deluxe or villa won't allow us to stay within that. At the Poly I can get a room for a little over $1800 for 4 nights which could be doable once I factor in tickets, airfare, rent a car, and would leave us $1000 spending money for the week. Tight but doable.
My question is about the room size there. We will have three adults and three children - 5, 3, and infant. It allows this number but will we feel completely cramped? I'm also worried about not having a separate space for the kids for bed and naptime. I can't see how we are going to kick back and hang out with them being in the same room trying to go to sleep.
I could look into other Disney resorts to check prices but I thought it would be best to stay near MK for the kids sake and coming back to the room.
I have the Unofficial Guide and his chart on page 358 of travel times from the other resorts makes it seem like we are just as well staying somewhere close off site and saving a ton of money we could use else where on the trip.
What is your opinion? I appreciate any insights you have.
Thanks -
Heather

When are you planning on going? Have you priced out the air, tickets, car, dining plan, so you know exactly what you have to spend for the resort?

If you are thinking about staying off site, as opposed to the Poly, to save money, why not look at 2 rooms at a value resort?

For 4 nights though, I think this can be accomplished at the Poly, but we need more details.

We are flying into Tampa on Sat. May 5th ($857 for four tickets) and staying with friends and heading to Disney preferably Sunday May 6th and staying until Thursday May 10th. Or we could head over on that Monday and stay until Friday. Our flight leaves on Saturday May 12th. Our rent a car (minivan) is $255. I checked ticket prices and it looks like a four day base ticket for three adults and two kids comes to $989. So as it is I'm up to $2200. The deluxe room for 6 at WL came to $2500 so that is out. The room at the Poly came to just over $1800. That would leave us $1000 spending money for one week. I didn't look at the dining plan since I didn't think it would work too well with the kids. We aren't good at schedules and if we have AR's it would be more stressful for us.
I did try the DVC point rental but it looks like the WLV are taken for the dates I needed. Otherwise I was really excited for that. The bonus would have been the kitchen!
I don't know how I feel about two rooms since the kids would want to be in with me and my husband anyway so it would end up being a room for just my sister. Plus it goes back to the whole being near the MK thing.
That's our info. Thanks for the help!
Heather

If you request a Patio or balcony room at the Poly, you can sit out there while the little ones nap.

On the number of people in your room depends how close you are with the other adult. :rotfl: I only say this because we went with my mom last year. 3 adults 2 children, and I will never do it again. We were OK, everyone had a place to sleep but I just didn't like it. Next time mom goes she will have to get her own room:) Love her! Don't see how you will be putting the kids to sleep for a nap with everyone in the room unless you keep them out on the patio or they go to the pool or something.

Have you checked into DVC point rental. With that many going you might be able to get the Wilderness Lodge Villas reasonable. I checked into it last year because of mom going and it wasn't to much difference when you rent them from somebody. We didn't go that route because the Poly is just our favorite and I didn't want to be anywhere else.:goodvibes

Have you thought about a value? I know you wanted a deluxe, or monarail resort but the values offer family suites. You can put the kids in one room while you do your thing in the other. Of course keeping an eye on them. And it would be the cheapest way all around.

We tried to book Poly through AAA & central reservations & we were told that the Poly is booked solid except for conceirge during our stay May3-10. Was that for this year? Good luck if you can get something. The price difference for us was $2000 compared to POFQ-the hotel being booked up made the decision about spending that much more really easy!!

It is for this year. I just talked to someone today about it and they did have room at the Poly.
Heather

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter