Poly or Wilderness Lodge

Cheryl-Lynne

Mouseketeer
I have been reading all of your posts on the Poly and I'm sold, but I like the idea of staying at a newer (cheaper!) resort, like the Wilderness Lodge. What is your opinion? Can you see the fireworks from the Wilderness Lodge? We always stay at POR, but we want to try something different this time. So please tell me all you know about the differences between Poly and WL!!
Thanks!:goodvibes

To me the price differences aren't so great that I would give up a monorail for a slow boat... I wouldn't pass the poly simply because its older than wilderness... I stayed in Animal Kingdom when it was first opened and would rather stay in the oldest dirtiest most run down monorail resort room than the Animal Kingdom... newer isnt' always better... its just newer.

We love them both for different reasons as they are both great resorts with totally different themes ;). I guess it would depend on what theme you're looking for and how important the monorail is to you. We loved our stays at both resorts. The Poly has an edge over the WL with bigger rooms and you can sit on the beach and watch the fireworks. The WL has a hot tub (Poly doesn't :sad2:) but still has convenient boat service to/from the MK :). And they both have great pools, IMO :thumbsup2. The WL is quite a bit cheaper then the Poly, but with the Poly you are paying for the monorail and location to MK. With that said, I don't think you can go wrong with either resort as they are both great :wizard:.

Yes, you can see the Fireworks from the WL but the perspective/view point is entirely different and limited. PR clearly has direct line of sight to view the Wishes fireworks.

There is nothing you can note between the PR and WL that would tell you one is newer than the other...other than Disney provided larger rooms earlier in its history...so PR provides larger standard rooms. Rehabs take care of the age difference too. It really comes down to your budget, the theme you like best and the location you want or if you desire monorail access.

I love the WL. I think it is a very serene, restful resort. I love the little boat to the MK. I love the geyser.

i agree that the WL is very serene and a beautiful resort. our family loves staying there. the boat ride over to MK isn't very long at all... no more than 10 minutes and it seemed like we were never waiting for a boat longer than 5 minutes. the lobby is so grand and the theming is our cup of tea (love the northwest forest feel...very different from where we live near the beach in s.fla) DH and I feel that it's the BEST DEAL hands down for the amenities and proximety to MK. We stopped by the Polynesian to see what all the fuss was about and while I enjoyed the tropical flowers and waterfalls, DH thought the lobby looked a little dated (especially the hallways and areas around the kids arcade) and was kind of small. I'm not knocking the poly, i'd still love to stay there because it is a monorail resort and i've heard they've recently refurbished the rooms (also one of my very good friend of mine says her family ONLY stays at poly). however, every time we go to book the price just seems a little crazy for what you're actually getting.... if we know our trip is going to revolve around MK we stay at WL, if we want animal kingdom to be the theme we'll stay at AKL, and we've also enjoyed staying at the BWI twice.

They are just 2 different experiences and if you have never stayed there you should do it at least once.

It's just not as convenient - but it has other things, like the walk to the campgrounds and the boat to MK and the Contemporary that make it special.

I choose the Poly unless I can get WL for a whole lot less, but I'm really so glad I've stayed there.

I would go Poly. We went to Artist Point for dinner and the bus ride for Wilderness, well lets just say that the riders who share the bus for Wilderness are a bit on the crunchy side. I don't know how to say it nicely so i won't say much but they were a bit undesirable. I would go Poly! Try and go to Victoria and Alberts too!!

I would go Poly. We went to Artist Point for dinner and the bus ride for Wilderness, well lets just say that the riders who share the bus for Wilderness are a bit on the crunchy side. I don't know how to say it nicely so i won't say much but they were a bit undesirable. I would go Poly! Try and go to Victoria and Alberts too!!

Mmmm...you're kidding?

i live in a very nice area of south florida where we're used to great restaurants/night life where the patrons are sporting gucci shoes (myself and husband included) and enjoy the finest things in life. i have to say i was semi-offended by Honey's comment..never did we see anyone particularly "crunchy" at any of our stays at the WL....perhaps she was referring to campers from fort wilderness b/c the WL does share a bus with the campsite. however, we'll be staying at fort wilderness in 2 weeks in our RV...i'll keep a look out for "crunchies"

We have stayed at both and love the WL for Xmas but after our second stay at the POly this past weekend we really enjoy having the monorail right there and our MK view was the best thing ever!

Oh boy... I'm sure that maybe by crunchy you mean "nature loving campers" and not "can't afford to stay at one of the deluxe resorts and therefore undesirable to share a bus with". Because that would offend A LOT of people. I, for one, think that Disney is for people from ALL walks of life, and if some families can only afford to swing it by camping out, then so be it. There are also many, many people who choose the "crunchy" lifestyle who can well afford the likes of the Polynesian AND Victoria and Alberts.

Well I just switched from WL to a monorail resort (GF). I have small children and for me it was kind of important to be on the monorail. However if it was just dh and I we'd probably stay at WL because that's what appeals to dh. I guess it really depends on what you are looking for in a resort as to where you are going to stay. I'm sad we won't be staying at WL because I think our kids would have enjoyed the bunk beds however I know for us it will just be more practical with the monorail and dh will be thanking me later. I do think all of the activities and peacefulness of WL is really appealing. I've read nothing but great things about it too. I had the chance to book Poly but we passed. Dh really didn't think the resort appealed to him (although neither does GF :rotfl: ) but at the end of the day it is just a place to stay with beds to sleep in so you have to weigh out how much you'll be staying at the resort and how much its location/transportation factors in for you. Good luck on your decision. I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever one you choose!

Like others have mentioned...I'm curious as to what a constitutes a "crunchy" person? Regardless, I'm always amazed that people will judge a resort based on the perceptions they have of a fraction of the people that are actually staying in that hotel! That is very superficial! I'm not sure what was meant by "crunchy"...but maybe everyone is "crunchy" after a long day in the parks??:confused3

Having stayed at both recently, I would choose WL, hands down. Every aspect of WL was fantastic for us. Poly was beautiful at night and the monorail is awesome, but the WL is far and away the better choice.

Rooms are nicer.
Lobby is nicer.
Grounds are nicer.
Restaurants are better.
Bartenders are friendlier.

I would pay Poly's costs to stay at WL. I wouldn't pay Poly's costs to stay there again.

Though the Poly is great and a beautiful resort, I would choose WL hands down every time. I haven't had the pleasure of staying at the Poly myself, but my inlaws stayed there and ended up being jealous of our stay at the WL. :rotfl: With that said, I look forward to staying at the Poly on a future visit.

Transportation at the WL is convenient, and to us it's a perfect way to get into the spirit of the MK area. I would take the $$ that is saved by staying at the WL and spend it on some sort of extra special experience instead of spending it on just a room IMHO. Also, you can always visit the beach at the Poly for the fireworks, and all the MK resorts have a great view of the electric water pageant.

[I've tried to resist saying something about the "crunchy" comment that was in a previous post, but I just can't hold it in. Please forgive the soapbox moment, but I was taken off guard, as other posters seem to have been as well. Among MANY other things, I think the poster of that comment needs to take into account the fact that some of those awesome rigs cost more than many people's homes, and are decked out better than many of the best deluxe resorts. If that's "crunchy"...SIGN ME UP! :lmao: FW is an experience unto itself, and I for one am proud to be going back after 30 years of being away. :thumbsup2 ]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter