Poly or Grand Floridian for young children

mikeandsunshine

I can not wait for our FIRST trip in May!
We are making our first trip to Disney in May:lovestruc . We will have a 9 month old, 2 year old, and 5 year old. We are in the process of deciding between a Lagoon View room at the Polynesian (my choice) and a garden view room at the GF. The GF is about $300 cheaper, how comporable are they and where will my children be happier. Thank you so much for all your help.

When my DH couldn't decide exactly which resort he wanted to stay at and made the final change to the Poly, the CM said that was one of the best resorts if you are travelling with kids. He then told her how in the beginning of our planning we had booked the GF and she said the kids would enjoy the Poly a whole lot more. She said the Poly was more kid friendly and had a lot of activities they could partcipate in.

We have never stayed at the GF (it just doesn't appeal to our taste), but our kids--when they were little--loved the Poly. They loved the pool and the kids' activities and the Neverland Club.

We stayed at the CR, Poly, and GF in January with our four children. My older kids loved all of the resorts and preferred the Poly overall - primarily due to the theming. However, while our four year old liked them all I think she preferred the GF as it was the location of Alice's Tea Party, Cinderella's Dinner, the Pirate Cruise, and the Princess Tea Party (she didn't do the cooking class or stay at any of the "kid's clubs)". She really had a great time at all of the special events at the GF (we primarily did the parks in the morning and then resort oriented activities in the afternoon).
I honestly think you can't go wrong with either resort. Overall we thought that the GF felt the most recently renovated, our room felt almost brand new, and the Poly had the best theming and was a slightly more immersive experience. Sorry, I probably didn't help but you sincerely won't go wrong with either one IMHO. Have fun choosing!

As kids, we loved the Poly. We especially loved the pool! I know they still have it and but it has been refurbished, so I imagine it is even better. I feel the Poly is more kid friendly.

The Poly is great for young kids. The pool is just great. The monorail makes it easy to get over to the GF and CR if you want to go to 1900 Park Fare or Chef Mickey's. I think my 4 yr old nephew had a better time at the resort than some of the parks.

you cant go wrong with either one. both have plenty for young kids to do. everyone in your party will have a great time, no matter what. if you end up with lagoon view at tahiti, which is a great view, you are pretty far away from most things.

The GF is nice but I feel the Poly has more to offer young children. The zero-entry pool with the view of Cinderella castle alone (and the kids water play area) is a bonus for kids. :thumbsup2

Never stayed at the GF but the poly was great!

My kids have come to think that the volcano pool is as much a symbol of disney for them as cinderella's castle.

The GF just seemed a little stuffy for our taste - but - "to each his own" as they say.:)

One thing to consider is the GF does have a seperate kiddie pool. You have very small children and sometimes it is nice to sit and relax and not worry about them going in too deep!!

Either hotel is beautiful. I have stayed in both and prefer the Poly with small children. It's hard to picture a small child running through the lobby at the Grand Floridian. :) Too stuffy, I have to agree...

Good luck!

Poly all the way. Volcano pool, better theming IMO for younger kids, Ohana's character breakfast, straight on view of Wishes from the pool or beach.

Either one would be great and I'd go with the GF because its cheaper.

My kids have enjoyed both. They and I liked the GF more because the pool wasn't as crowded as the Poly.
I do think more families with children go to Poly and that is another reason I like the GF. It seems less crowded over all.

The GF has activities for the kids in the pool and in the lobby also. I've never agreed that it is stuffy but i don't mind that people think so because again I think that is why it seems less crowded.

I would have to agree with those who pick the Poly. My girls love it. To them it is our Disney home! Even with paying more for the lagoon view I would pick the Poly hands down. Reasons: pool, location, grounds, monorail, proximity to TTC, great coffee in am, roomy rooms! IMO

Good luck on whatever you decide!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter