• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Poly experts - help me understand!

heidiboo

DIS Veteran
I am trying to understand the layout of the Poly. (I have looked at the map):) It looks like you check into the main bldg. You then have to go outside to the different longhouses for your room?:confused3 Do you need to use your room key to get into the different longhouses or just to get into your room? If it is raining is it a huge problem to get to Kona Cafe or O'Hanas? I am planning a girl's only trip for Aug 09 for me and my DD(15). We have previously stayed at WL and AKL where everything was indoors. This time I am considering a change since the guys aren't going!

Thanks for your help!

Susan

you only need your key to get in the room - except at night - I think then you need a key to open the door (after 11pm? - the lock will have a sign)

just depends upon where you are - to get to the Kona cafe - it is quick walk from Rarotonga - but from Tahiti (my favorite the rooms are bigger) it can be a walk. just remember to bring umbrella.

if this is upsetting - then go with CR in the tower.

You are corret, check in is in the main building, also called the Great Ceremonial House, then you proceed outdoors to your assigned longhouse. If I remember correctly you need your room key after 10:00 pm ( I think) to get into the longhouse. During the day you only need your key to your own room.
As far as getting to the main building when it's raining, all depends on what longhouse you are in. I have only stayed at the Poly once and it was in the Figi longhouse, which is fairly close. I would suggest research each one to determine what best fits your needs. You can always request a specific longhouse, although like always you are not guaranteed it.

By the way- the Poly is amazing. You will love it. I honestly say it is worth every penny.

If it's raining (or if we just want out of the heat), we always plan our route to go through the other longhouses! Some of the doorways between them line up, so you can make it so you're only outside briefly.

We stayed at the Poly for the first time last October. Previously we had stayed several times at WL and AKL. I love the way everything is under one roof at WL and AKL. This was my main concern when deciding to stay at the Poly. I actually really loved the layout of the Poly. The grounds are gorgeous. It did actually rain when we were there. It was no big deal though. We got a little wet running to the GCH. Next time I will remember to bring an umberella. We absolutely loved the Poly.:)

I would invest in some small travel umbrellas. They usually have them at WalMart, Target, JC Penney, etc. They are lightweight and small enough to pack in your backpack to bring to and from the parks and for running from longhouse to longhouse. We bring them where ever we go just in case.

I look like a dork in a poncho lol anyhow!

Cutting through the longhouses may be a must when there is a downpour. ;)
I hope you enjoy your stay, the Polynesian is my favorite all time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter