Poly DVC - what UYs loaded with 2014 points?

aroundtheriverbend

DIS Veteran
Hi all, just saw it mentioned in a thread that someone bought Poly points today and got 2014 points loaded with a June UY. Any other info on what other UYs might/might not come with 2014 points?

Thanks!

I was told by my guide this morning that my December use year points would be loaded well in advance of my February 11 booking date.

Hmm, our other contracts are also Feb use year, wondering if it's worth it to juggle a different use year if we pull the trigger and buy....

No. Regardless of UY Month, PVB points can't be used for reservations prior to 4/1/2015 (resort opening).

No. Regardless of UY Month, PVB points can't be used for reservations prior to 4/1/2015 (resort opening).

I follow your point on making reservations (in my mind I think of that as "activated") but are you say 2014 Poly points can't exist in any use year due to a legal resort opening date restriction? So for example for those buying a June use year will only get their XX points as of 6/1/15, nothing from 2014?

Confused on why their guides would tell them otherwise but maybe we're all just confused. Stranger things have happened LOL.

Seems to me that with PVB opening April 1, PVB owners should get 2014 UY points in order to stay there in April or May. They shouldn't have to borrow 2015 points.

And if PVB purchaser with June UY is getting 2014 points, I don't understand why someone with September UY wouldn't. A stay in April or May would fall in their 2014 UY too.

I follow your point on making reservations (in my mind I think of that as "activated") but are you say 2014 Poly points can't exist in any use year due to a legal resort opening date restriction? So for example for those buying a June use year will only get their XX points as of 6/1/15, nothing from 2014?

Confused on why their guides would tell them otherwise but maybe we're all just confused. Stranger things have happened LOL.

Those with a June UY (or later) would receive PVB points in their 2014 UY. A June 2014 UY is the earliest UY that includes the month of April 2015 when the resort officially opens for occupancy.

And if PVB purchaser with June UY is getting 2014 points, I don't understand why someone with September UY wouldn't. A stay in April or May would fall in their 2014 UY too.

Members with a Feb, Mar or April UY would not get points in their 2014 UY because their 2014 UY ends prior to resort opening.

Members with a June UY or later would get PVB points in their 2014 UY.

Isn't this pretty much exactly what happened with VGF? Members with UY early in the calendar year lost out, and some tried getting a second UY for VGF so they would get the loaded contracts?

Members with a Feb, Mar or April UY would not get points in their 2014 UY because their 2014 UY ends prior to resort opening. Members with a June UY or later would get PVB points in their 2014 UY.
Thanks, this helps a lot. So if you want to "maximize the speed/immediacy of your point drops," June UY would be the way to go. Of course, it brings up another fact that I probably don't know - there's no penalty to getting a separate UY, right (other than your own administrative headache)?

So if you want to "maximize the speed/immediacy of your point drops," June UY would be the way to go. Of course, it brings up another fact that I probably don't know - there's no penalty to getting a separate UY, right (other than your own administrative headache)?

Not really. If you stay with your February UY, your PVB points will be added to your account as quickly as someone with a different UY. If you want to book at PVB as soon as the booking window opens on February 11, 2015, it won't matter whether you have a February UY, a June UY, or whatever. The only real advantage that a June UY would offer you is that you could bank your 2014 points right away into the 2015 UY and then have double your annual allocation of points to use on reservations starting June 1, 2015, through May 31, 2016.

There is no penalty for having two UYs. For some, it can be a headache juggling two different accounts. By the way, you should check with your Guide to see if there are any limitations or qualifications if you want to set up a second account. DVD lets members add on as little as 25 points to an existing account. But if you want to establish a second account, it might require that you buy a much greater number of points.

Thanks, this helps a lot. So if you want to "maximize the speed/immediacy of your point drops," June UY would be the way to go. Of course, it brings up another fact that I probably don't know - there's no penalty to getting a separate UY, right (other than your own administrative headache)?

You cannot combined points from different UYs at the 7 month mark into the same reservation unless the points are transferred. And then the transferred points do not show up on your dashboard on the MS website, you have to trust MS that they are there. And MS would need to make the reservation.

Now you could make a reservation for some of the days with one UY and the rest of the days for your vacation with the 2nd UY at the 7 month mark. But you cannot combine the points for a single night until the points are transferred.

Isn't this pretty much exactly what happened with VGF? Members with UY early in the calendar year lost out, and some tried getting a second UY for VGF so they would get the loaded contracts?

Yes, you are right. We have a February use year and purchased a small add-on at VGF and were told, "You can, of course, borrow your next year's points for your reservation." I hated to start out my contract borrowing points already...

You cannot combined points from different UYs at the 7 month mark into the same reservation unless the points are transferred. And then the transferred points do not show up on your dashboard on the MS website, you have to trust MS that they are there. And MS would need to make the reservation. Now you could make a reservation for some of the days with one UY and the rest of the days for your vacation with the 2nd UY at the 7 month mark. But you cannot combine the points for a single night until the points are transferred.
Wow, thanks, I had no idea you couldn't combine different UYs into the same reservation, I've always just had Feb across different home resorts. That might be a deal breaker. Do you happen to know if the same limitation applies to trading out for a cruise or RCI (bundling a total number of points for a single cruise across different UY contracts)? I learn something new every time I use the DIS - thanks so much for your help!!

So if you purchase an add on at poly and your use year is June you will get points from 2014 use year this is 100% confirmed?

Wow, thanks, I had no idea you couldn't combine different UYs into the same reservation, I've always just had Feb across different home resorts. That might be a deal breaker. Do you happen to know if the same limitation applies to trading out for a cruise or RCI (bundling a total number of points for a single cruise across different UY contracts)? I learn something new every time I use the DIS - thanks so much for your help!!

I have two use years. I can combine them in that I reserve say 2 nights with one membership and reserve the other 5 nights with the second membership. Then I ask member services to link the reservations. I do that all of the time. I have even linked nights with my membership with nights booked by my sister with hers (we will share points for a grand villa with our kids.)

So, it can be done, with minimal hassle. The only time it's a problem is when you don't have a full night's points in one of the memberships.

This is not correct. My 2014 points are already loaded (as well as my 2015 points) and ready to use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter