• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Poly Connecting Studios...too big of a risk

G2MAmber

Work at Gateway To Magic
well I had two standard studios booked at the poly but I just couldn't follow through with it and had to move us to a 2 bedroom. I couldn't even enjoy my booking knowing my husband and I could be separated and not end up in connecting rooms. Such a bummer to have a great dvc option with no guarantees that families can be together.

I'm anxious to hear how the accommodations work for others that were able to risk it. I'm hoping as time goes on the resort will gain credibility and we will find the connecting rooms are easier to fulfill for the resort then we think.

well I had two standard studios booked at the poly but I just couldn't follow through with it and had to move us to a 2 bedroom. I couldn't even enjoy my booking knowing my husband and I could be separated and not end up in connecting rooms. Such a bummer to have a great dvc option with no guarantees that families can be together.

I'm anxious to hear how the accommodations work for others that were able to risk it. I'm hoping as time goes on the resort will gain credibility and we will find the connecting rooms are easier to fulfill for the resort then we think.

I would think at some point they will have to have connecting studios as a booking option. I understand that Disney never gtds connecting but with DVC once all inventory is opened up I would think it might be helpful. Of course DVC may not want to make it that attractive and easy to gtd. connecting rooms. The resort would be even more attractive to non Poly owners.

This is what I don't get. They actually promoted the fact the studios were connected so parties of up to 10 people could be together. But then you can't be guaranteed to have the studios connecting? So what's the point of connecting studios?

Of course DVC may not want to make it that attractive and easy to gtd. connecting rooms. The resort would be even more attractive to non Poly owners.

I'm having a hard time understanding the logic behind your statement. Why would DVC not want to make things attractive to the members, whether they be PVB owners or non-PVB owners?

I'm having a hard time understanding the logic behind your statement. Why would DVC not want to make things attractive to the members, whether they be PVB owners or non-PVB owners?

I think that based on the total points available at Poly and approx 25% of the points representing Bungalows, owners may have difficulty securing studios. By gtd connecting it makes the resort even more attractive making it even more difficult to secure reservations. Granted this is more of a conspiracy theory than logic. I think as the Poly DVC matures Disney will review the gtd studio option to see if it makes booking sense from their prospective.

I could also see them reclassifying the standard view that face the parking lot to a a third category and changing the other locations to garden/pool. With so few of the total units facing the parking lot, you could probably drop nightly cost by 4 or 5 points and only add a point to the rest of the units. I'm guessing it will depend how it looks and is landscaped.

This is what I don't get. They actually promoted the fact the studios were connected so parties of up to 10 people could be together. But then you can't be guaranteed to have the studios connecting? So what's the point of connecting studios?

They also promote using your points for RCI, ABD, cruises, and other world wide destinations. That doesn't mean that you will find availability or that it makes financial sense.

THV SSR points were sold as a 3 bedroom for the point cost of a 2 bedroom. After selling out, they changed the points.

:earsboy: Bill

They are promoting connecting in their advertising materials, I think to offset the lack of 1 and 2 bedrooms (non-bungalow).

I know I'm not smart enough to figure it out, but to guarantee connecting rooms wouldn't you theoretically have to assign the rooms as they're booked? Maybe that's the hang up.

It will be interesting to see what happens but every studio is part of a connecting pair so they should be able to accommodate unless there are a huge number wanting it on a certain date. They need to do some advance blocking but it seems they have to do that for lockoffs.

They are promoting connecting in their advertising materials, I think to offset the lack of 1 and 2 bedrooms (non-bungalow).

Isn't that sort of like false advertisement??? I do remember them saying connecting rooms up to 10 guest. Can't we flip that around on them somehow?

I know I'm not smart enough to figure it out, but to guarantee connecting rooms wouldn't you theoretically have to assign the rooms as they're booked? Maybe that's the hang up.
To me it seems like guaranteed connecting studios is no different than allowing us to book a 2BR lockoff at the other resorts. To fulfill a reservation for a 2BR lockoff, they have to guarantee a connecting 1BR and studio. If they can do that, why can't they use the same approach to guarantee connecting studios?

To me it seems like guaranteed connecting studios is no different than allowing us to book a 2BR lockoff at the other resorts. To fulfill a reservation for a 2BR lockoff, they have to guarantee a connecting 1BR and studio. If they can do that, why can't they use the same approach to guarantee connecting studios?
It sounds easy but I think mathematically, it's a pretty hard problem to solve...especially at the time of booking. If everyone checked in/out at the same time, yes - there's 2 studios left in inventory, we can guarantee a connecting studio. But with different dates and different combinations, it's not as easy as it sounds.

The reason 2 bedroom lo are bookable is because it's 2 separate rooms combined. If they were to divided poly rooms to "Left studio" and "right studio" booking options, then it would be EXACTLY like a lock off. Once left studios are booked, no more connecting studio options.

Another option is to block off ## of connecting studios, that can only be booked as connecting. But that may not be what DVD/DVC's goals are with building 360 studios.

It sounds easy but I think mathematically, it's a pretty hard problem to solve...especially at the time of booking. If everyone checked in/out at the same time, yes - there's 2 studios left in inventory, we can guarantee a connecting studio. But with different dates and different combinations, it's not as easy as it sounds.

The reason 2 bedroom lo are bookable is because it's 2 separate rooms combined. If they were to divided poly rooms to "Left studio" and "right studio" booking options, then it would be EXACTLY like a lock off. Once left studios are booked, no more connecting studio options.

Another option is to block off ## of connecting studios, that can only be booked as connecting. But that may not be what DVD/DVC's goals are with building 360 studios.
I didn't say it was easy but it is a problem they already know how to solve. As you state, a LO is a 1BR plus a Studio that connect to each other, and Connecting Studios are a Left Studio plus a Right Studio that connect to each other. It's the same basic problem.

I didn't say it was easy but it is a problem they already know how to solve. As you state, a LO is a 1BR plus a Studio that connect to each other, and Connecting Studios are a Left Studio plus a Right Studio that connect to each other. It's the same basic problem.

But left and right studios aren't a booking category like a 1br and studio are.

I don't think it's a question of can they do it, but what IT resources do they need in order to modify the system to accomplish it. And historically, DVC hasn't received a lot of timely IT resources.

Left and Right studios don't have to be a booking category, just an attribute in the database. Or, use a "connects to" field that contains the connecting room number.

I agree that IT is a problem at Disney but if it was important to them, they would have gotten this done. They have had plenty of time to hire a contractor to do it.

ETA: On the other hand, by waiting until members demand a booking category for guaranteed connecting studios, they can charge the cost of updating the system to members. So perhaps that is the plan...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter