Poly CL or Cabin - 4 kids 5 and under

dotcomguy

Earning My Ears
Trying to decide between our current reservation, Club Level at Poly or a Cabin at FW for our trip this December. Our girls will be 5, 3, 2, and 6 mo. It's not a financial issue, just trying to decide what will be easier logistically for our family. My wife and I are excited about the Cabin but the fear of the unknown is holding us back.

What would you recommend?

A little more background if you're interested:
Past trips:
Jan 2006 - Offsite 1 girl (6 mo)
Dec 2007 - All Star Music - Family Suite 2 girls (2 and 9 mo)
Dec 2008 - GF CL 3 girls (3, 1, 4 mo) + MIL
Aug 2009 - No kids! Swan
Dec 2009 - Poly CL 3 girls (4, 2, 1)

We loved Poly so we booked a bounce-back offer before leaving last year. Instead of flying we're driving this year so we'll have our car with us (that's a first for us). We love the fact that the monorail is easy with a double stroller. If it weren't for the fact that we'll drive to AK and DHS, Poly would be a no brainer for us.

Since we'll we'll have our car and I'm still recovering from a broken leg (I'll be off crutches by October) I thought having our car right next to our Cabin would be easier for us.

We enjoy going "commando" every day of our week at Disney World. We're in the park from open to close each day and eat at least 2 TS meals each day.

Any advice?

I have not stayed at the Poly yet, but I have stayed at the cabins a few times, once in December. It is great to drive right up to your cabin. It is nice to let the kids be as noisy as they want without worrying about bothering anyone, and it is equally as nice to not have to hear other people while in your room. December is great because a lot of people decorate their cabins and campsites and it is a great atmosphere.

would consider a 1 or 2 bedroom at either VWL or BLT. especially if cost doesn't matter.

you have a bunch more room. at BLT if you get a higher room the views are pretty great.

the parking is really close. plus you can walk over to MK. these have complete kitchens (just like cabins) so you can get food delivered to snack on. (just like concierge)

now the polyn is nice but 6 people in one - no even if 4 are under 6 years old.

really think the 1-bedroom at BLT would be your best choice.
king bed, queen sleeper sofa and chair bed in the livingroom. So your oldest can have the chair bed.

would consider a 1 or 2 bedroom at either VWL or BLT. especially if cost doesn't matter.

you have a bunch more room. at BLT if you get a higher room the views are pretty great.

the parking is really close. plus you can walk over to MK. these have complete kitchens (just like cabins) so you can get food delivered to snack on. (just like concierge)

king bed, queen sleeper sofa and chair bed in the livingroom. So your oldest can have the chair bed.

Stole the words..

I second this if money is no object.

I would go with the Poly, without a doubt. I have 4 children, older, and the cabin was isolated. We had a car and it was nice for a few days but You need to take a bus to the the boat to MK , traveling takes more time. We drove everywhere and we were not there during December. I think the monorail is a big plus as well as the many restaurants that will be just a stop away.

IMO I think that the Poly will make your vacation more pleasant and less stressful.

Having been to both Poly CL & cabin I would choose Poly CL. I've done Poly CL 3 times with 6-me, DH, 3 kids (youngest under 3 all trips other 2 under 7 both trips) and an adult friend. We never felt too crowded in the room. It was nice to have the lounge to relax in too.

I would find the convenience of the Poly location and convenience of CL service over weigh the convenience of parking at the cabin.

You could just pay for valet service at Poly.

Great advise! We wanted to stay BLT last year but I completely forgot about it this year.

One point of clarification, it's not that money's no object, it's that our 40% off rate at Poly is within our budget. The Cabin will save us money but it's not a deciding factor. The past few times I called BLT wasn't available for our dates (12/10 - 12/18) with a discount but I'll check again.

Thanks!

I vote for Poly CL too. You are familiar with it, it's near the monorail, so if they get tired, you just hop on instead of having to deal with driving or bussing it back to the cabin.

With a family of six with younger children I would opt for the cabin. There is considerably more space at a cabin than a room at the Poly. In the bedroom there is a double bed along with bunkbeds. In the living room there is a pull down Murphy bed which to my surprise, was comfortable. It's not the typical fold up bed you might find at some other hotels.

As mentioned the ease of having your car a few steps away from your cabin door is a huge plus. After a day of running at the parks, it's great to drive up to the door of your cabin.

The kitchen area includes a full size refrigerator/freezer, microwave, stove, coffee pot, and cupboards stocked with dishes, glasses, flatware, etc. Heaven forbid we make any meals on vacation, but have used it for a quick breakfast, and snacks later in the day. There are two pools. One is near the cabins, and the other is at the Meadows.

If you have any non-park time there are many activities for children (free and otherwise).

We have stayed deluxe, moderate, values. We find the cabins to be peaceful, and an escape after a hectic day at the parks.

I'd opt for either BLT or the cabins-preferbaly the cabins for these reasons:

Park right next to your room.

Poly is V E R Y spread out and with 4 little ones, if it rains it can be a pain getting to your room.

Even if you don't cook, the cabin kitchen is handy for snacks as is BLT kitchen.

There is a petting zoo at the Fort and the campfire with Chip and Dale + s'mores and a movie.

It's quieter. if your little ones want to nap, it's very peaceful.

Wow, you have alot of choices to consider. If parking next to your room is one of your key criteria, you might also want to consider Old Key West. They offer the largest vacation style rooms, and you can park right in front of your room. I'd request a ground floor unit because of your leg. They have a great pool for the kids, and the boat that goes to DTD is a plus. I love the Poly, and have stayed concierge level too, but there is a bit more walking from the car parking lot to the room (nothing for an able bodied person) but again with your leg you might wind up being really tired at the end of the day. Have fun deciding!

You are a family of five plus one under the age of three (only one of your under three's doesn't count). So you can stay anywhere a group of five could stay.

Definitely the Poly. The main reason I say this is because once your youngest turns 3, you won't be able to stay there anymore but you'll still be able to stay at the cabins (which we absolutely love as well).
By the way, it always nice to see another big family who loves WDW. :goodvibes

Definitely the Poly. The main reason I say this is because once your youngest turns 3, you won't be able to stay there anymore but you'll still be able to stay at the cabins (which we absolutely love as well).
By the way, it always nice to see another big family who loves WDW. :goodvibes

Good point. We're dreading the day we can't stay in a Deluxe.

I'm also thinking an ECV would be easier at Poly than the Cabins IF my leg acts up and I have to take it easy. I'm in good health but it was a major break (still on crutches after 3 months) so who knows what will happen. On the other hand, we get to the parks early enough that I could rent one there if I need it.

once you little ones turns 3 - you can still stay in the DVC delxue villa - but now you are talking about 2-bedrooms and it is expensive. you can rent from a member and stay you some money.

would probably go with fw cabins or two rooms at a moderate. (since you don't like values)

a 1-bedroom at AKV and BLT will sleep 5 plus one under 3. (they are working on OKW)

I would consider a dvc resort if money isn't a consideration. If you are staying mostly in mk then BLT would be a good choice with so many little ones. You are right there. When going back for naps or at the end of the day you can avoid all that waiting for buses, boats and the monorail. You will have a full kitchen. Garden Grocer will deliver food for a small fee. ( there are others but I don't know the names) Then there is the fact that you have a washer and dryer. This can be a big deal if you have kids. My DD love the big tub in the dvc resort. You might like it to after the kids are asleep. You can also see the fireworks from your room with an MK view without having to keep everyone at the park till late.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter