POLL: Who is canceling their cruise due to new CDC advisory on cruise travel?

Who is canceling their cruise due to new CDC advisory on cruise travel?

• I am still going.

Votes: 265 62.5%
  • I am canceling.

Votes: 60 14.2%
  • I'm on the fence about cancelling.

Votes: 99 23.3%

• Total voters
Have Jan 29 Fantasy. If I could cancel I would. We are sailing on an interline rate which falls in the restrictive VGT category so its paid in full at booking and has a no cancelation no refund no moving dates period policy. We don't want to go to just stay on ship with limited activity and experiences. As it is, on board activities are sold out!
We want to be able to do castaway cay!
My husband is an airline pilot. Because of the shortage of crew he's been flying A Lot, so already worried he will be exposed in crowded airports and in hotels, shuttles etc. Don't want it get it on the cruise and and be stuck in our room the whole time either. Ugh. Hopefully it isn't worse at end of month. But looks like it's hanging around.
You can cancel within 14 days of your sail date should there be a positive test, a possible exposure to COVID or a "COVID-like illness' with no penalty and no questions asked. Last night, I cancelled 4 of 5 staterooms for this coming Monday's sailing of the Magic and will receive all of my money back. You just have to tell them that there was a possible exposure.

EDITED TO ADD: Coincidentally, moments after posting this I received an email from Disney with this: As a reminder, Disney Cruise Line has put a temporary flexible refund policy in place. Within 14 days of sailing, Guests with COVID-19-related health concerns (symptoms or exposure) can receive a full refund to their original form of payment without Disney-imposed cancellation fees or apply their cruise fare toward a future sail date. Visit https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/featured/book-with-confidence/ for details. You can also contact whomever you booked your reservation with to discuss other options that may be available to you.

My parents just moved their Dream cruise that was to leave Monday to a Dream cruise in May.

"My cruise." We just canceled outright. Was there any benefit to rescheduling? I know once upon a time there was an incentive if Disney canceled.

Not cancelling, per se, but not booking a cruise this year either, until they drop the testing protocols and ports stop denying entry to ships. I will not invest in cross country airfare and a hotel room for the chance to be turned away at the port, and I would certainly be unhappy if I ended up stuck on the ship the entire time, unable to get off at ports. All that uncertainty isn't worth it. I told my husband last night that the only people who should be cruising right now are those who can drive to the port and be out no money if they are denied boarding, and who don't want to get off in any ports anyway.
This is a very good point. It's significant $$$ to cancel flights, quarantine in hotels and/or rent cars one way to drive home....all while you and/or your family member is sick.

"My cruise." We just canceled outright. Was there any benefit to rescheduling? I know once upon a time there was an incentive if Disney canceled.

No - but it gives them something to look forward to.

This is a very good point. It's significant $$$ to cancel flights, quarantine in hotels and/or rent cars one way to drive home....all while you and/or your family member is sick.
I would also be concerned about staffing shortages.

You can cancel within 14 days of your sail date should there be a positive test, a possible exposure to COVID or a "COVID-like illness' with no penalty and no questions asked. Last night, I cancelled 4 of 5 staterooms for this coming Monday's sailing of the Magic and will receive all of my money back. You just have to tell them that there was a possible exposure.

EDITED TO ADD: Coincidentally, moments after posting this I received an email from Disney with this: As a reminder, Disney Cruise Line has put a temporary flexible refund policy in place. Within 14 days of sailing, Guests with COVID-19-related health concerns (symptoms or exposure) can receive a full refund to their original form of payment without Disney-imposed cancellation fees or apply their cruise fare toward a future sail date. Visit https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/featured/book-with-confidence/ for details. You can also contact whomever you booked your reservation with to discuss other options that may be available to you.
Can VGT/restricted reservations use the 14-day COVID cancelation policy? I work for an airline and it looks like exposure is almost inevitable this month. I know that’s what you’re responding about, but I’m still nervous. I booked with the Vacation Protection Plan so I don’t know how that would change things.

Can VGT/restricted reservations use the 14-day COVID cancelation policy? I work for an airline and it looks like exposure is almost inevitable this month. I know that’s what you’re responding about, but I’m still nervous. I booked with the Vacation Protection Plan so I don’t know how that would change things.
I am sorry but I don't know the answer to that question.

Have Jan 29 Fantasy. If I could cancel I would. We are sailing on an interline rate which falls in the restrictive VGT category so its paid in full at booking and has a no cancelation no refund no moving dates period policy. We don't want to go to just stay on ship with limited activity and experiences. As it is, on board activities are sold out!
We want to be able to do castaway cay!
We're on this cruise, too. I'm struggling here on what to do - we don't do a lot at port, but we DO wanna get off the ship.

Same here. We cruise in a week and I’ll be happy just to make it on the boat.
We leave on Monday. The only reason my husband and I are going is because we are triple vaxxed. We cancelled the other 4 staterooms in our travelling party of 13 because the kids weren't fully vaccinated. I fully intend to sit on my balcony with a glass of wine and a few good books and spend the 5 days pleasantly inebriated trying to forget the raging pandemic ashore!

Which doesn't tend to happen to vaccinated people who get Omicron. This is the mildest form of the virus yet.
My fully vaxed and boosted aunt is in the hospital right now with it. That said, just because omicron is what’s in the news right now, doesn’t mean the other variants aren’t also still making their rounds. So yeah, going on a cruise is riskier than going to a Knicks game.

To answer the question, I’m on the fence, I think we will still go it’s just giving me a ton of anxiety. Our cruise is in Feb. We are all vaccinated and boosted, and we have had COVID twice (in Feb and earlier this month).

We were going to be leaving on Monday with two stops at Castaway Cay. I cancelled today. I’m in treatment for breast cancer and this was to celebrate finishing chemotherapy. With the recent COVID situation my oncologist recommended waiting. I’m so sad.
I used to work in an oncology unit, I know you're bummed (to say the least) but this is the best thing you could have done for yourself! Chemo destroys your immune system, and it can take a good long while for it to get back in fighting form, I would have hated for anything to happen to you after all you've been through.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter