(poll) When will Disney Cruises resume? (based on the current news and your gut instinct)

When will Disney Cruises resume?

• limited sailings will resume in Summer 2021

Votes: 27 11.5%
  • limited sailings will resume in Fall 2021

Votes: 119 50.6%
  • limited sailings will resume in Winter 2021

Votes: 43 18.3%
  • forget 2021, limited sailings will resume in 2022

Votes: 46 19.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I looked, but I don't think I saw this mentioned in any of the replies. I think a big factor will be vax and infection rates in destination ports. We may find that "limited" means a very select group of itineraries with ports determined by vax rates. I'm hopeful for a "fall" return, with fall meaning post September. Regardless, I don't think my October cruise from SD will happen, if only because DCL will not spend the cash to transit the Canal with an empty ship.

this is exactly the point.

we don’t know what’s gonna happen this fall. Yes, we’re all being optimistic.

there’s a chance that we have a new prominent variant in the fall. now we have world renowned scientists discussing (nobody panic) the possibility of a vaccine resistant strain because this prophylactic vaccine was used during the middle of the pandemic instead of before or after the virus strain was no longer virulent (science that is far above me, the point is that they are monitoring the **possibility** and science demands that we theorize all options, not just the happy ones we like to hear).

the vaccines are great weapons, but are they the right weapon to win the war? That’s what we’re all waiting on! 2020 was a wild ride, if we’ve learned one thing, it’s that the next 18 -36 months could bring anything to the table!

what about cruises opening up for 8 months, before having to close down again?

or a really really bad flu season (yes a flu pandemic) where they didn’t get the right vaccine strain in time because it all but disappeared this year and their estimates are off? Would cruises close for a flu pandemic (I’d think yes!).

how many cruise lines could survive 5 years of intermittent closures?

fwiw I want cruises opened up this summer, but I’m also trying to have realistic expectations that this decade could be really crazy
I love how you say “nobody panic” early in your post and end it with “this decade could be really crazy.” Might as well just shut down the cruise lines now since you seem to believe they basically have no chance of resuming. :sad2:

People are already acting like the pandemic is over. You’re not going to be able to implement restrictions like this for years on end without much bigger problems and issues also arising. I take this pandemic as seriously as anyone, but at some point, we’ve got to start moving on and taking the whole situation into account. If vaccinations are widespread, cases numbers are down, severe outcomes are reduced, and resources aren’t strained, things have to be open, and people have to make their own decisions. Sure, there could be outbreaks, and a year when a different strain than expected is dominant, like the flu, but are we going to live a what-if game for the next decade and keep closing everything down?

I'm going to take the very optimistic route, and say September for domestic (US), and December for international. Time will tell if I am wrong.

My guess is that DCL will resume in summer 2021 with UK residents only sailings, just like Cunard, P&O and Princess have announced they plan. That way they can do either cruises to no where or cruises with just UK domestic ports, with limited capacity and test out all the new procedures and policies.

As The Magic is still in Dover, they just have to satisfy the European CDC requirements for return to sailing, which does not require all the certification or test cruises that the American CDC require.

I think over the summer the Disney Magic will start doing short cruises from Dover. The Wonder, Dream and Fantasy will start sailing from PC/Miami in the fall, and all of them will start with short cruises. No more than 5 nights and most of them being Bahamas cruises.

Send the Wonder to Miami. I guess they could have both the Dream and Fantasy in PC so that they aren’t there on the same day.

There are people in my July cruise group who still think it's going.

Optimism is a good thing, we can certainly use more of it these days. Either it will sail in July or it won't, I say "let them hope". (I'm just remembering that *everyone* was saying '18 months at the EARLIEST' for a vaccine for the-disease-that-shall-not-be-named, while the first vaccination actually end up happening only 9 months after the pandemic was declared. Dare to hope.)

I have a cruise on June 26th but my logical guess is this will be cancelled and hopefully soon so I can decide what to do going forward. Hard to believe we have been dealing with this for a year already.

Optimism is a good thing, we can certainly use more of it these days. Either it will sail in July or it won't, I say "let them hope". (I'm just remembering that *everyone* was saying '18 months at the EARLIEST' for a vaccine for the-disease-that-shall-not-be-named, while the first vaccination actually end up happening only 9 months after the pandemic was declared. Dare to hope.)

I work for big pharma, inventing new medicines and my colleagues and I were REALLLY impressed that our company got out a vaccine that fast.

That being said...

Hoping is one thing. However, if you are buying plane tickets, and spending other non-refundable money on optimism, that might be misguided.

I work for big pharma, inventing new medicines and my colleagues and I were REALLLY impressed that our company got out a vaccine that fast.

Give yourself and the people at the company a big THANKS from me, it was truly amazing how quickly these vaccines were not only developed, but how fast it was before they were put into "arms", and how effective they were. I am truly impressed and deeply thankful, and if I could afford it, I would take you all out for a beer. ;). Truly, thanks!

Hoping is one thing. However, if you are buying plane tickets, and spending other non-refundable money on optimism, that might be misguided.

Totally agree...buying non-refundable or not insured is not a good plan for newer term travel. But if they already have the tix, I have no problem with them continuing to hope...

Agreed but there's also something called realism that should be taken into account.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter