Poll: so who takes midday breaks and who doesn't?

Do you take a mid afternoon break at the hotel? And why?

• YES!

• NO!

Results are only viewable after voting.

exwdwcm

wishes she was Wendy Moira Angela Darling
I know much of it depends on other factors, time of the year, whether you have young kids with you or not, whether you have a big party and whether you are staying on site. It seems the big trend is to take midday breaks and we have pretty much always done it and it works well for us. we get up early for EMH often, then take a nap/swim or just hour or two rest at the resort hotel mid afternoon (usually 2pm-4pm type timeframe), then head back out to another park for the evening.

I am heading down with DH in August though- our first real trip together (I've always gone with my family in past trips, he isn't a WDW fan). We know it is going to be hot and humid, but we live in Dallas, where the weather is pretty similar. We are only there for 4 full days and one 1/2 day. I might consider NOT doing a break since it's just us. But I guess we will play it by ear, is that insane----no break in August?

It's just me and my husband; therefore, I have no small children. We're like the "Dave" guy in the trip planning DVD, we like to take it slow and easy....

can't vote in the poll becaue there is no "it depends" button, but it really depends.

do we schedule in breaks/naps, no. Last trip DD was only 15 months old and she would fall asleep in the stroller and we would keep on going with our day. This next trip she will be 26 months old and much more interested in what is going on around her. if she does not pass out in the stroller and gets beside herself cranky, then yes we will (at least one parent and her) head back for a nappy. if the older boy and the other parent want to come back for some shut eye too - or a dip - or just stay at the park until we meet up after the DD's nap...that is up to them.)

but generally we will be playing it by ear. (just incase i am bringing a book to read while she is napping.)

- lori

Yes, we always take a break. It's just the two of us and we always go in early/mid December. We like to go back to our hotel and sit on our balcony enjoying the sights.

On our last trip (late Feb./early March) we (me, DH, DD-8, and DS-5) didn't take afternoon breaks. We were usually at the parks before they opened and stayed until 8 or 9 pm. We didn't stay for any fireworks though, unfortunately.. For our upcoming trip, I don't think we'll take afternoon breaks again. It was hard enough to leave the parks and go to the hotel at the end of the evening, I honestly don't think the kids would go back mid-afternoon peacefully.

We always go back in the middle of the day for a break, nap, dip in the pool. I'm 36 and my parents first took me to WDW in 1974, even back then we took a break in the middle of the day to get out or the heat. I knew from an early age that we would be taking a break so I knew we were leaving but I also knew we'd be back in a few hours.

Now that I'm a mommy, we took our DD (then almost two, now 2) on her first trip and we always take a break at some point in the day and we'll continue that. It lets us stay up a little later in the evening for the night parades and fireworks.

Our last two trips were with our oldest DD (Jan 2005 2 ½ yrs old and Oct 2005 a little over 3 yrs old). We tried but really had a hard time getting her to nap in the hotel room. It’s like she knew fun things were going on without her. Every day we ended up strolling a crabby kid around until she fell asleep, which some days took until 3 or later. While the vacation was great, that part was not fun for us or her.

Our next trip we will be taking both DDs, 2 ½ & 4 ½ at time of travel. I am nervous because I know they will really need naps.

Any tips or special tricks you have would be much appreciated. I am tempted to rent a car just for naps. If all else fails, they always fall asleep in the car. =)

We almost never take breaks in the afternoon. My DD's are older so we prefer not to leave the park. We tend to have a nice cool AC lunch and try to take in as many AC attractions and shows as possible.

Since we don't hop, and we will only be doing 4 days of parks, we will probably open and close the parks we visit.

However, with only 4 days of parks on an 8 day trip, we have alot of relaxation planned too.

nluvwithmickey said:
We almost never take breaks in the afternoon. My DD's are older so we prefer not to leave the park. We tend to have a nice cool AC lunch and try to take in as many AC attractions and shows as possible.

Since we don't hop, and we will only be doing 4 days of parks, we will probably open and close the parks we visit.

However, with only 4 days of parks on an 8 day trip, we have alot of relaxation planned too.

We do the same. No hopping just open and close the park and plan down time on non park days. This works much better for our family.

No, we don't stop. Physics - perpetual motion - gets more done than if you leave. We do like to take a day off for each day we're in the parks. For maximum R & R.

We've always taken breaks in the heat of the day since 1977 when our kids were young. They are grown now, and after 35 some trips to the world, we still Leave the parks before noon, return to our resort to relax, have an impromptu picnic by the pool, refresh in the pool and down a few beers when the Florida sun is a beating down. Occasionally, we'll go to DTd for a shopping trip or squeeze in an afternoon movie, depends on season, and we don't return to the parks until 5 pm. Most of the people who stayed all day, are lobster red, sweaty and miserable. We had a rest in the resort A/C, a dip in the cool pool water, a refreshing shower and a few beers to greet the secong half of the day. Wouldn't do Disney any other way. Works great for us.

When we were little yes, we did take afternoon breaks. But now instead of going back to the hotel, we just make late lunch reservations in the afternoon during the hottest part of the day- plus there's a lot less people eating at this time. Its just nice to sit in the airconditioning and relax for an hour or so. Don't feel like you have to rush through your meal to get to the next ride- just enjoy.

Rarely. If I do take a break I usually stay in the park, or at most, head to the car in the lot. If you happen to see someone taking a nap under a shade tree or something... it just may be me!

exwdwcm said:
I know much of it depends on other factors, time of the year, whether you have young kids with you or not, whether you have a big party and whether you are staying on site. It seems the big trend is to take midday breaks and we have pretty much always done it and it works well for us. we get up early for EMH often, then take a nap/swim or just hour or two rest at the resort hotel mid afternoon (usually 2pm-4pm type timeframe), then head back out to another park for the evening.

I am heading down with DH in August though- our first real trip together (I've always gone with my family in past trips, he isn't a WDW fan). We know it is going to be hot and humid, but we live in Dallas, where the weather is pretty similar. We are only there for 4 full days and one 1/2 day. I might consider NOT doing a break since it's just us. But I guess we will play it by ear, is that insane----no break in August?

My Dh isn't a Disney guy either which is why we took the afternoon breaks. My husband has this idea that a vacation should be relaxing. If I made him go to the parks all day I don't think he would return. Also, this may be a guy thing, but my man sweats more than me. He likes to get cleaned up before we eat dinner. My dh loved the dining at WDW so scheduling a sit down meal in the evening won him over (slightly) to disney.

We use to. Here's how it worked for us:

dh & me: opening til closing w/ a nice relaxing lunch. We could tour 3 days then a day of rest. (and I mean poolside rest, sleeping in, not marathon shopping or touring hotels)

DH, me and ds2.5: Came back to the room and napped (all 3 of us) every day. We went 4 days of touring this way...then dh had a conference and ds & I rested. We vowed never to tour 4 days in a row again even w/ the naps! (and these were nice power naps for 2 hours at least!!!!) It did allow us to stay up and see Illuminations, Wishes, etc w/ ds.

Dh, me, ds4 and dd1: Tried the naps...NO WAY! :rotfl: DD just didnt' want to rest...ds wasn't going to nap if his sister wasn't. We walked her in a stroller while I laid down w/ him...2 days of this and we stopped coming back for the nap. DD would just nap in her stroller nicely in the parks, allowed us to do some rides w/ ds w/out having to find something to keep her amused. :love: Everyone was happy.

dh, me ds5.5 and dd2.5: Only tried the napping once in the middle of the day. Didn't work again. Plan was tour 2 days, rest, tour 2 more days, etc. DD napped in her stroller and again, made it easier to go back and utilize the parent swap ride pass while she slept. Both could stay up for the evenings though we always had a day off scheduled after a late nite w/ wishes or Illuminations.

dh, me ds6 and dd3: Nap??? what's a nap??? I think dd napped once in her stroller in the park. We didn't stay for Illuminations as it was just too late w/out the nap. ds squeezed himself into a stroller to help at the larger parks rest his legs..but really, both were not able to stay up easily as before. Lots more walking for ds and dd, not napping, couldn't handle it either. Fortunately it was Dec, the "night time activities" were earlier other than Illuminations and again, rest days after them kept everyone ok.

Hope that helps.. :)

I don't like the heat and dh doesn't like crowds. We break after a lunch at the park and head back to our room. Sometimes we just shower and head back to the park if it's a short break, and other times we'll take a quick swim. Getting a mid-day shower and fresh clothes spikes our energy level in the late afternoon and we're ready to hit the park with recharged batteries.

The only day we don't break is AK day because AK closes early. If we could travel off-season (shorter park hours and less heat), we might skip more breaks then.

We ALWAYS take the break during midday...

It gives the kids and the adults a chance to cool off, take a swim, take a nap and then hit the parks refreshed..Its amazing to note the people who dont take the breaks leaving early in the evening completely exhausted and spent leaving the parks less crowded for you to enjoy with your recharged battery and sanity..

We take afternoon breaks (usually exit park at about 2pm) because of the following reasons:

:cheer2: The heat gets to much by the afternoon.
:cheer2: We have done most of the rides by the afternoon.
:cheer2: Once we have had lunch we are so tied we need a rest.
:cheer2: It gets really busy by the afternoon.
:cheer2: It allows us to spend some time at the hotel.
:cheer2: We like going to a park in the morning then going to a different park in the evening after we have had a rest.
:cheer2: Its what we have always done.

We didn't take breaks on my first trip in 2004 (who can take breaks when you can take the heat, have no childred (me and fiance were 21) and you are in Disney for the first time??? Not me!!!!

But after a week doing other Orlando stuff in 2005 we definately took (and needed!) the afternoon breaks! And I am pretty sure we will be taking them in September/October... :smooth: The pool is great, and I like sunbathing a little during my vacation...after all, it is a vacation :rolleyes: .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter