Poll: Obama speech a hit!!!

jodifla

WDW lover since 1972
Guess the 8 percent who weren't positive about the speech are our fellow DISboard conservatives.

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/politicalintelligence/2009/02/poll_obama_addr.html

A quick post-speech poll suggests that President Obama succeeded at his goal.

According to the CNN/Opinion Research Corp. survey of Americans who watched the address, 68 percent said their reaction to his address was extremely positive and another 24 percent somewhat positive.

Also, 85 percent said his speech made them feel more optimistic about the country's path in the next few years.

Asked whether Obama's policies would move the country in the right direction or now, 88 percent answered the right direction, up from 71 percent in a pre-speech poll, and 82 percent said they generally supported the economic plan he outlined.

And 82 percent said they believed Obama's plan would save or create millions of jobs, 80 percent said they believed Obama's plan would improve the economy, 75 percent said it would improve the healthcare system, and 68 percent said it would cut the federal deficit.

The poll as conducted tonight and has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.

I am glad you enjoyed his speech.

Personally, I turned the tv off after the first 1/2 hour. This may be because I have a copy of the bill that President Obama was speaking about...and though I would not go so far to call it outright lying or 1/2 truths. I will say he definately was sugar coating and skipped over several questionable things in the bill.

Understandably, since the mood was meant to "pep" up the Congress and the Nation...I understand the sugar coating.

If critiquing on just the effectiveness of the pep session...President Obama, once again, proved himself an eloquent orator. Obviously, thus your enjoyment.

And I am truly glad that your spirits were lifted.:thumbsup2

By Paul Steinhauser
CNN Deputy Political Director

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A national poll indicates that two-thirds of those who watched President Obama's address to a joint session of Congress on Tuesday night felt very good about his speech.

Sixty-eight percent of speech-watchers questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corp. survey said they had a very positive reaction, with 24 percent indicating that they had a somewhat positive response and 8 percent saying they had a negative reaction.

The audience watching his speech was not a perfect match with the nation's breakdown by political party, presumably because the president is a Democrat. The speech audience questioned in the CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was about 8 to 10 points more Democratic than the general public.

Eighty-five percent of those polled said the president's speech made them more optimistic about the direction of the country over the next few years, with 11 percent indicating the speech made them more pessimistic.

Eighty-two percent of speech-watchers said they support the economic plan Obama outlined in his prime time address, with 17 percent opposing the proposal.

"These are great numbers for Obama, but they are no better or worse than Bill Clinton or George W. Bush got after their first speeches to Congress," said Keating Holland, CNN polling director. What did you think of the speech?

After Clinton's first address to Congress in February 1993, 79 percent of speech-watchers supported his policies. George W. Bush got virtually the same amount of support for his proposals after his first speech to Congress eight years ago.

A big question is whether the address, which was watched by millions across the country, changed minds.

"Among speech-watchers, the number who thought Obama's policies will move the country in the right direction grew by 17 points after they listened to Tuesday's address," Holland added.

Eight out of 10 said the president's plans will improve the economy and 68 percent said his proposals will reduce the federal deficit.

Three out of four questioned said Obama's plan will improve health care and 82 percent said his proposals will create or save jobs across the country.

The poll surveyed 484 speech-watchers by telephone minutes after the president finished his address. The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll's margin of error is plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.

from www.cnn.com

I think the 8% must have been market traders. The stock market certainly didn't like it.

I never see the point in taking a poll right after a speech. Of course its positive, that what Americans were looking for. Of course the majority believes he is moving the country in the right direction, after all he just got done saying he would.

What I'd really like is for them to re-air this speech a year down the road, and then ask those same people what they think.

What I'd really like is for them to re-air this speech a year down the road, and then ask those same people what they think.
Speaking of reruns, I'd like to see the inspiring Bush speech from the evening of 9/11/01 again. :rolleyes:

I think the 8% must have been market traders. The stock market certainly didn't like it.

If we're to believe that the market rises and falls based purely on what the President says in his speeches, it's simply got to get itself figured out. In just this week alone, it hated Obama Monday, loved him yesterday and hates him again today. Talk about your split personalities...

Speaking of reruns, I'd like to see the inspiring Bush speech from the evening of 9/11/01 again. :rolleyes:

Yea, you know I'd like to see that one again too. In fact maybe we should look at his approval rating then, you know the one he holds as having teh highest approval rating of any president ever, and we know how that ended don't we ;)

But of course this had nothing to do with Bush but I realize its just so very hard for some to not bring him up when they really don't have any other point to make :sad2:

Hmmm. I must have missed that one. I guess he was still hiding on Air Force One at that point?

OK - the majority of people who I know that do not like Obama and did not vote for Obama also refused to watch the speech. That would leave the vast majority of people who DID watch the speech as ostensibly supporters of the man - of course they are going to approve of his speech!

Common sense, people, common sense...

OK - the majority of people who I know that do not like Obama and did not vote for Obama also refused to watch the speech. That would leave the vast majority of people who DID watch the speech as ostensibly supporters of the man - of course they are going to approve of his speech!

It's not like it's a hidden secret. If you read the article, CNN reports this within.

:thumbsup2 I agree I didn't watch it. I just didn't want to hear the spin.

I didn't vote for him but I watched the speech. I give him approval because he was definitely more positive then he's been recently but I still think polls right afterward are useless. Its fine to believe what he says, but the real measure of his approval should be when he gets done what he promises. Thats when people who watched the speech should be polled.

If we're to believe that the market rises and falls based purely on what the President says in his speeches, it's simply got to get itself figured out. In just this week alone, it hated Obama Monday, loved him yesterday and hates him again today. Talk about your split personalities...

What is the under/over on loving him Thursday?

I did not watch it because.....I admit it.....I forgot it was on. I went out to dinner with a friend and never turned on the TV when I got back. I did finish a book I was reading. I read much of it this morning and it is the most upbeat he has been in some time. That is what a president needs to do. Also I did not take the CNN or any other poll about this.

By Paul Steinhauser
CNN Deputy Political Director

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A national poll indicates that two-thirds of those who watched President Obama's address to a joint session of Congress on Tuesday night felt very good about his speech.

Sixty-eight percent of speech-watchers questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corp. survey said they had a very positive reaction, with 24 percent indicating that they had a somewhat positive response and 8 percent saying they had a negative reaction.

The audience watching his speech was not a perfect match with the nation's breakdown by political party, presumably because the president is a Democrat. The speech audience questioned in the CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was about 8 to 10 points more Democratic than the general public.

Eighty-five percent of those polled said the president's speech made them more optimistic about the direction of the country over the next few years, with 11 percent indicating the speech made them more pessimistic.

Eighty-two percent of speech-watchers said they support the economic plan Obama outlined in his prime time address, with 17 percent opposing the proposal.

"These are great numbers for Obama, but they are no better or worse than Bill Clinton or George W. Bush got after their first speeches to Congress," said Keating Holland, CNN polling director. What did you think of the speech?

After Clinton's first address to Congress in February 1993, 79 percent of speech-watchers supported his policies. George W. Bush got virtually the same amount of support for his proposals after his first speech to Congress eight years ago.

A big question is whether the address, which was watched by millions across the country, changed minds.

"Among speech-watchers, the number who thought Obama's policies will move the country in the right direction grew by 17 points after they listened to Tuesday's address," Holland added.

Eight out of 10 said the president's plans will improve the economy and 68 percent said his proposals will reduce the federal deficit.

Three out of four questioned said Obama's plan will improve health care and 82 percent said his proposals will create or save jobs across the country.

The poll surveyed 484 speech-watchers by telephone minutes after the president finished his address. The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll's margin of error is plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.

from www.cnn.com

Thanks for bolding this out...and yes your clown still scares me :eek: :lmao:

It's not like it's a hidden secret. If you read the article, CNN reports this within.

CNN is very biased....and is watched by mostly DEMS....so yes there poll would show a higher poll. What does Rasmussen say or other polls ? I have not checked because I didn't care to tell ya the truth.

I watched the speech and he did well but did not say anything that we have not been hearing for a long time. Same old same old. I loved his suit and tie ...I thought he looked great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter