POLL: Is it okay to join your party in line?

Is it okay to have a person join the line after getting FPs elsewhere?

• Yes, it's okay!

• No, it's cutting!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think it is interesting to note the language being used. I have seen several people mention 'intent'. How can you really know what someone's intent is?

I try not to assume that people are behaving rudely intentionally. For the most part, I do not think people 'cut' to try and pull one over on others. I do not think they believe their time is more valuable than others.

:cheer2:

I agree with you 100%. This is true in so many other situations as well. Once you start assigning intent to someone's actions, you are much more likely to become angry.

I certainly don't mind if a mom or dad (or grandma) has to leave line to do a bathroom run. Kids will say they don't have to go, then they have to go. What I mind, and will stop, is either a large family or a group of teens. It doesn't always work but I will try to stop them.

No, getting shoved aside is the process of people rudely shoving. People politely saying "excuse me" and not pushing is a completely different process.

Perhaps, but being pushed or shoved does happen when people are butting their way back into line. Most of the Fantasyland rides have single-file lines. If someone (or multiple people) are working their way back through one of those lines, people will be pushed and squished, regardless of how many times the words 'excuse me' are said.

Me being a dad of a 2 year old little girl, I have more respect for other dad's at Disneyland. Usually my wife will take my daughter and go get in line while I go and park the stroller. Then I come up to the line and squeeze through everyone until I catch back up to my girls. So I have respect for other dad's seeing them doing the same thing. But when it's a family of like 6 and one person was holding a spot for all of them, then I start to get annoyed. Go Disneyland dad's!!!! :thumbsup2

My DH does this too!! :thumbsup2

Perhaps, but being pushed or shoved does happen when people are butting their way back into line. Most of the Fantasyland rides have single-file lines. If someone (or multiple people) are working their way back through one of those lines, people will be pushed and squished, regardless of how many times the words 'excuse me' are said.

This was exactly my point. No matter how polite someone is trying to be, there simply just not enough room in a lot of those lines for someone to get past. Without being pushed up against the wall or ropes, stepped on or worse. I'm not saying people do it on purpose. But it happens anyway, because those lines weren't made for people to be doing this.

So it really doesn't matter if you are saying excuse me when your elbow hits my child in the head, and I'm shoved up against the wall.

One of the first threads I participated in here on the DIS was about this topic, and I was totally blasted for my opinion.

I think that line saving is OK. I don't see that as line cutting at all. Line cutting is when there is nobody in your party up ahead and yet you push ahead anyway.

I have talked to a few CM on this topic. The general rule is they don't do or say much about line saving so long as there are more people in the party in line than those who are about to join the line. Even if a guest were to complain to a CM about line saving, they will apply this general rule.

I also find it interesting that some refer to this issue as one of morality. I fail to see that connection. In fact, my moral standard is guided by care and compassion for my fellow human being. That includes providing for reasonable accommodations for others. I have no idea why they need the accommodation and it is not my place to be the judge and jury. Let it be.

There are a few in this thread who hold a rather hard line on what they see as line cutting under any circumstance. That is their choice. I don't happen to agree with it and trying to make it difficult for others who feel differently isn't very caring or compassionate. If you want to hold those beliefs, fine, but don't try to force them on others by making rude comments of denying passage. How is that OK?

My family and I have used this practice on occasion, but not often. We visit DL often and we don't see it happening all that often, but maybe because it really doesn't bother us, so we just don't notice it.

As for groups of teens pushing past or trying to join their party. One thing I can assure you of, nothing you do or say to them is going to bother them. It will only bother you. Sure it is wrong and if you want to call them on it, go right ahead. Just don't get angry or upset. Life is just too short to get upset about long lines.

I don't really mind if people join their parties in front of me when the line is short. When the wait is super long however and a large group of people start cutting, then I get annoyed. (It happened to me when I was in line for Toy Story Midway Mania... we were already waiting 45 minutes when suddenly four more people joined the couple in front of me.)

Personally I would feel awkward and impolite if I did have to join my party in the middle of the line.

The only time I would say it would be acceptable is if say a parent left the queue with a child to say, go to the toilet. Then rejoining after.

I think any other situation could be avoided. I think that a group splitting up because 2 want to grab a drink or go to the toilet, doesn't allow those people to rejoin the group. Either everybody waits, or ride separately. If I was there solo & went to the toilet I wouldn't then be able to walk in front of everybody that joined the queue whilst I was in the toilet. The rules should make the experience fair & equal for all.

I also find it interesting that some refer to this issue as one of morality. I fail to see that connection. In fact, my moral standard is guided by care and compassion for my fellow human being. That includes providing for reasonable accommodations for others. I have no idea why they need the accommodation and it is not my place to be the judge and jury. Let it be.

There are a few in this thread who hold a rather hard line on what they see as line cutting under any circumstance. That is their choice. I don't happen to agree with it and trying to make it difficult for others who feel differently isn't very caring or compassionate. If you want to hold those beliefs, fine, but don't try to force them on others by making rude comments or denying passage. How is that OK?

I, too, tend to think that the greatest morals I can instill in my child are empathy, kindness and compassion.

Judgement won't get you too far to anything other than frustration. My son probably hears ten times a week something along the lines of: "Worry more about what Cooper is doing and less about what so-and-so is, or is not, doing."

You can't control the world around you. Only your reaction to it.

This was exactly my point. No matter how polite someone is trying to be, there simply just not enough room in a lot of those lines for someone to get past. Without being pushed up against the wall or ropes, stepped on or worse. I'm not saying people do it on purpose. But it happens anyway, because those lines weren't made for people to be doing this.

So it really doesn't matter if you are saying excuse me when your elbow hits my child in the head, and I'm shoved up against the wall.

If you're getting shoved up against the wall, then either that person is in the RUDE category I was referring to (or clumsy), or you really aren't moving out of their way. Yes, some lines are "single-file" lines, but the lines are more then 2 or 3 feet wide. There is enough room for someone to move aside enough for another person to carefully walk by them.

I would agree that I don't mind if it's ONE person, or a parent returning from the bathroom with a little one to join the rest of the family. But, I really hate when a whole group shows up right in front of me. I put the time in for this ride, so should you. If my kid can stand and behave in line, there's no reason yours can't.

So, in June I was at Magic Kingdom (WDW) and my dad and I were one of the first to be let into the queue for Space Mountain. In front of us was a mom with 3 kids, and while the 4 of them got into line the dad ran off to park the stroller. The entire time they were in front of us, they were looking back, standing on their tippy toes looking over my head, and not paying attention to the line moving forward. We finally get to the boarding area (past the long hallway with the interactive games) and down comes the dad to join his party. While I understand that this really doesn't affect my wait time, keeping their family together really wouldn't affect their wait time either, and it wouldn't force an entire queue of people to squish aside to let him in. So when he asked to get by I didn't stop him, but I suggested that his family could have moved back in the line to join him, or waited at the entrance while he parked their stroller, instead of doing what he did. It's this kind of thing I am not ok with. If you want to get fast passes for toy story mania, or park your stroller, and then get in line, your party needs to stay together - there isn't a valid excuse not to. There are signs at the entrance of many queues that instruct families to keep their parties together, so I find it hard to believe that it is disney policy to encourage line jumping.

On the other hand, if I am in a long queue (which doesn't happen, it still blows my mind that people wait in line for more than 15 minutes ever) and a family in front of me asks if I mind letting them come back in after a bathroom break, and they are polite about it, I have absolutely no problem with that.

If you're getting shoved up against the wall, then either that person is in the RUDE category I was referring to (or clumsy), or you really aren't moving out of their way. Yes, some lines are "single-file" lines, but the lines are more then 2 or 3 feet wide. There is enough room for someone to move aside enough for another person to carefully walk by them.

Most of the time people seem to want to push their way through when their party is way up at the front of the line (surprise, surprise). Usually the lines seem to get more narrow as you go. So naturally there is some being shoved up against the ropes and wall. Now it would be nice if they could just duck back under the ropes where they wouldn't have to push their way through. But that would mean these people would have to wait most of the way, obviously not what they are trying to do. As much as all of you want to think it's all emergency bathroom breaks, I really don't think so. Others here have pointed out that they themselves do it to get fast passes, and for things like their kids couldn't behave that long. I think these instances are a lot more common then you think.

But yes I do agree that they fall under the rude category. Nothing is worth letting it ruin your day or vacation. But I'm not going to sugar coat my opinion of people who do this. Having care and compassion for my fellow human being means that I won't expect to push them up against the wall or ropes. Again if I have a bathroom emergency, I do get out of line. But that just means I'll catch that ride later, not expect everyone to move for me.

Most of the lines in DCA are 3 feet wide, but most of the lines in DL are not. A 250 lb adult would not be able to pass by another adult without pushing them into the rails. Heaven help us if both the adults in question are pooh-sized and Peter Pan is the line in question.

starshine514 said:
Most of the lines in DCA are 3 feet wide, but most of the lines in DL are not. A 250 lb adult would not be able to pass by another adult without pushing them into the rails. Heaven help us if both the adults in question are pooh-sized and Peter Pan is the line in question.

Really? I have been to DL more times than I can count and I have never been pushed into the rails.

Really? I have been to DL more times than I can count and I have never been pushed into the rails.

Same here. In all my trips to DL I've never experienced this either. Doesn't mean it never happens, but maybe I've just been lucky.

Oh my gosh this happens almost everytime I'm in line at Peter Pan or Alice. The lines are so narrow and move so slow people do "line-cutting" all the time. Also the Matterhorn. I have been to DL 14 times in the last 4 years and it happens a lot.

For us, we just don't generally see the point. We get in line together. We might save steps by not all going to park the stroller (when we were using the stroller), but the non-parkers will just wait by the line.

The times someone has had to leave the line to use the bathroom in my family, we just all leave the line, or the bathroom-needer would just skip the ride that time. I don't think we've ever done the latter, though.

Of course our decisions are also managed by the fact that we're not tiny people. I know DH won't mind me saying this, but if he gets out of a line (or tries to squeeze forward), he is impacting EVERYONE, big time. If he had to exit Peter Pan for instance, well I'm not sure it would be possible. So it's not really an *option* for us.

DS once had a sudden urge at the end of the Casey Jr line. Since they have the turnstiles (point of no return) and I'm short and won't be climbing over railings, we just asked the CM to be let out. She specifically told us to come back to the exit and she'd let us back in, but the line was actually short, and we felt no need to do that. We just got back in line once the bathroom had been visited.

In theory, in lines that have an easy exit area, like the chain at TSMM or a gate at Jungle Cruise, the bathroom-user would get out there, the other adult would stay at that point, letting people go by and explaining what's going on, then the user(s) would come back to that point. But I know we never used the Cruise option, and cannot remember if we've used the TSMM option. And the reality for us is...it's just not THAT important that we all stay together, or that we ride any given ride at that exact moment. We don't want to cause discomfort by squeezing by people. And since we're a party of 3, with two adults that aren't tiny (though I have lost 42 lbs and DH has lost 30 since Feb so we're workin' on it!), one of us is generally riding either entirely alone or in front or back of the other two anyway! So the idea of being separated by many cars isn't *that* different anyway.

All that means: we don't see why people do it, and will always think "why is it THAT important to all be together, and if it is that important, why not just wait to get in line until you're together?" when people do managed to squeeze by. (and in thinking about it, it's a RARE line indeed that anyone has tried to squeeze past if DH is with us...I doubt it's ever been tried in Disneyland's lines, especially Fantasyland)

My thread was thread of the week? Cool!

Just back from our trip -- even though I originally did say I thought it was okay, as it turned out when one of us got FPs we never did join our party in line, we just went on something else and met up later. I decided I did not want to annoy 40% of the people. So just when I thought I would not personally see what happened if I tried it ...

We were about to get in line for Nemo (DH, DD12, DD8 and me), when DD12 asked for a frozen lemonade. It was HOT, like 95 degrees. I said okay and headed back to the cart (located right by the Nemo line) to get one for everyone. About that time, I saw DH say something to the CM at the line entrance. Assuming everyone was behind me, I went to the cart and got 4 frozen lemonades, then turned around to find everyone was not in fact behind me but in already line!! I could see DH from where I was -- he was waving at me to come on. So I did, very politely, and it was quite obvious that I was not just "cutting" as I had 4 frozen lemonades. If anyone was annoyed, it wasn't noticeable, but maybe they were just not showing it. (I would add that Nemo has wide lines.) As I joined DH, I asked him what he said to the CM, and he told me he asked if it was okay if he and the kids got in line while I got the lemonades, and the CM said yes, it was fine.

Can't say it's an official policy, but at least for this CM it was okay with DL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter