Poll: Curious - How do you feel when you skip a training run?

How do you feel when you skip a training run?

• I feel rested/rejuvenated and ready to tackle the next one!

• I get lazy and want to skip more.

• If I don't run I will at least cross-train that day

• My training is very flexible and I run/rest when I want

• I never skip unless very ill or injured

Results are only viewable after voting.

RnbwSktles

DIS Veteran
I am just curious to see how most of us feel when/if we skip a training run. The reason for skipping doesn't matter, assuming you are healthy enough to continue the next day.

For me, skipping is bad about 99% of the time. As soon as I skip one, I want to skip more. It's like all of my discipline has gone out the window!

I am just curious to see how most of us feel when/if we skip a training run. The reason for skipping doesn't matter, assuming you are healthy enough to continue the next day.

For me, skipping is bad about 99% of the time. As soon as I skip one, I want to skip more. It's like all of my discipline has gone out the window!

I have my own plan so if I have to re-schedule (as I prefer to call it :)) I replace it with cross-training/resistance work outs. I do however avoid running 4 days in a row unless ABSOLUTELY necessary.

I print my schedule out in calendar format and update it by hand on the printout.

If I skip a run, I write a big zero for the day and make myself keep track of how many miles I'm down for the week. So if I miss a 6 mile run on Tuesday, not only does Tuesday get a zero, but the rest of the days gets a minus 6, unless I make some of it up. This works to shame me into not skipping and offers incentive to make up some of the mileage (turn Wednesday's minus 6 into Thursday's minus 4 by making up 2)

But to answer the original question: how do I feel? I feel like I'm cheating myself, so I guess that qualifies as guilt.

It depends on why I'm skipping the run. If I'm sick/injured then I don't beat myself up. When I'm lazy, I do.

Right now I've missed two training runs this week because of other things intruding on my day and what I feel is antsy and frustrated. I'll work that out as soon as I've gotten a good run in, though.

If I am training for a race, I don't skip runs. I might miss a scheduled run for reasons outside of my control, but I don't skip them.

If I miss a run, it impacts my heart rate on the day that I return. It sets me back. I do have built in rest days in which I do not run or do any other leg work. They are critical to my continued progress in training.

If I am not training for a race, I run when I feel like it. I make it fun and don't beat myself up over days that I just do nothing. I run 20-30 miles per week during these periods just because I love running.

I didn't really have an option I would pick.

When I skip a scheduled training run (usually due to weather and/or work), I tend to feel grumpy and fidgety for the rest of the day. So I try to get it in whenever possible late night or the next day. I run 3 times a week, so the schedule is flexible.

The only time I won't even try is if the weather is so bad I just can't go outside or I'm ill/recovering.

I cross train on different days. It just isn't the same as going out for a run so I don't consider it an actual alternative. No amount of yoga/weights/exercise/other will do what a 30-45 min run will do.

It depends. If I'm training for a race, the only time I skip a run is if I'm injured. I've only missed one run (a race) due to illness and that was because I was throwing up pretty constantly. But I've never skipped because of a cold.

I have missed 2 this time around (last week) because of a new injury but that's all so far!

But if I'm not training for anything, then I'm perfectly content sitting at home on butt watching tv or reading!! No guilt or anything.

Guess that's why I always have so many races on my schedule!

I chose "My training is very flexible and I run/rest when I want", based on when I'm training for a race (if it's downtime between races, then I don't sweat it). I have some flexibility worked into my training program for each of the races I'm training for, which allows for taking a day or two off to rest/recuperate if I get sick or injured. I feel a little guilty, so I try to tack on a little extra mileage once I'm back on my feet, but I try not to let it get me down too much. This is supposed to be fun! :)

I feel guilty about skipping, but try to move on from it - normally I don't skip runs unless I'm sick or injured. :confused3

I've never, ever regretted taking a day off - exercise is my therapy, so if I'm skipping a day it's because I NEED the time off for rest/recovery! It's always been the right call. :thumbsup2

I'd be an 'Other' as I feel lazy rather than rested, and that feeling of laziness serves as my motivation to get back after the next scheduled training run.

I'm between, I'm flexible and I'm more likely to skip more days. I run a lot (2 marathons and a half marathon last month) so if I miss a long run during race training I don't usually beat myself up. When I don't have a race coming up I find that skipping runs can become a habit and before I know it I've gone a 3 weeks without a run.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter