• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Police: Girl, 14, stabs sister 40 times because she felt unappreciated

skatalite

DIS Veteran
An 11-year-old Illinois girl was stabbed 40 times by her 14-year-old sister, police say, and the reason why has many in the small Chicago-area community of Mundelein reeling in disbelief.

Police found the 11-year-old girl unconscious and in need of medical attention in an upstairs bedroom of the Illinois suburb Tuesday morning. She later died.

Because the sister, who called police, initially told officers an intruder was to blame for the attack, authorities briefly placed three schools on lockdown.

The truth, when it emerged, was even more shocking.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/23/justice/illinois-sister-stabbing/index.html

I can't say I'm really surprised with how their generation often over-reacts to the smallest slight.

I can't say I'm really surprised with how their generation often over-reacts to the smallest slight.

As a parent of a 15 and 19 year old I have a fair amount of experience with "their generation." I find this to be an aberration and would speculate to an underlying personality disorder or some other form of mental illness. As a long time worker in the court system I also point out that the misrepresentation to the police initially demonstrates consciousness of the actions being wrong, removing that prong of the insanity defense.

As a parent of a 15 and 19 year old I have a fair amount of experience with "their generation." I find this to be an aberration and would speculate to an underlying personality disorder or some other form of mental illness. As a long time worker in the court system I also point out that the misrepresentation to the police initially demonstrates consciousness of the actions being wrong, removing that prong of the insanity defense.

I agree. My kids are those ages and I cannot fathom either of them even contemplating something like that. Yeah, they fight but only minor typical sibling stuff. I wonder if this happened before school and mom had already left for work? If not, why were they both home from school? I would imagine there must be more in this girl's past. It would be hard to believe someone would have that much anger and not show it in other ways first.

I'm originally from Vernon Hills, the suburb adjacent to Mundelein and graduated from Mundelein High School. It's usually a pretty quiet area crime-wise. Friends who still live in the area were giving the play-by-play on this yesterday on facebook as helicopters were flying over the area. What a tragedy.

As another poster said, im also betting the girl has some kind of mental health issues. Without a doubt!!

Unlike the proportional & reasonable reaction of a 71 year old shooting two people in a movie theater because one of them was texting.

When are we going to wake up to the reality of these senseless deaths? Those parents should never have had a knife in the house. I call for an immediate ban on knives. If one life can be saved, it is worth the cost. :rolleyes:

:thumbsup2

I'm originally from Vernon Hills, the suburb adjacent to Mundelein and graduated from Mundelein High School. It's usually a pretty quiet area crime-wise. Friends who still live in the area were giving the play-by-lay on this yesterday on facebook as helicopters were flying over the area. What a tragedy.

I am originally from Vernon Hills too! My dad used to be a police officer there. I went to Carmel Catholic High School though.

You just don't normally hear about these sorts of things there. I mean, my dad was a cop for YEARS in that area including 25 in Vernon Hills. I think they once had a hostage situation, but otherwise there was little violent crime.

Unlike the proportional & reasonable reaction of a 71 year old shooting two people in a movie theater because one of them was texting.

You will find nuts of all ages. I just wasn't surprised to hear someone decided stabbing your sister was the correct response to feeling unappreciated from a generation where the smallest slight is called "bullying". That doesn't mean I would be surprised by every other crime that happens. I'm not surprised by school shootings anymore but for a totally different reason.

There aren't threads and threads here and else ware talking about snowflake behavior because it doesn't exist. It isn't exclusive to any one group but it sure has increased over the last 15 or so years.

You will find nuts of all ages. I just wasn't surprised to hear someone decided stabbing your sister was the correct response to feeling unappreciated from a generation where the smallest slight is called "bullying". That doesn't mean I would be surprised by every other crime that happens. I'm not surprised by school shootings anymore but for a totally different reason.

There aren't threads and threads here and else ware talking about snowflake behavior because it doesn't exist. It isn't exclusive to any one group but it sure has increased over the last 15 or so years.

Wrong again.

Actual statistics from the CDC: For males ages 10 to 24 years, violent crime arrest rates declined from 850.8 arrests per 100,000 population in 1995 to 423.1 arrests per 100,000 in 2011. For females ages 10 to 24 years, violent crime arrest rates declined from 139.6 arrests per 100,000 in 1995 to 99.7 arrests per 100,000 in 2011.

I'm sure there were many underlying issues going on.

I teach junior high and have for 15 years. I adore "this generation", and think they are absolutely amazing.

Absolutely there are nuts of all ages. To be fair, most of the bullying discussion you see here isn't that generation labeling it bullying, it's being discussed amongst an age category whose box might be checked by you or I, not the young 'uns you seem determined to label precious deviants.

You have won the Internet. Where would you like it delivered?

Wrong again.

Actual statistics from the CDC: For males ages 10 to 24 years, violent crime arrest rates declined from 850.8 arrests per 100,000 population in 1995 to 423.1 arrests per 100,000 in 2011. For females ages 10 to 24 years, violent crime arrest rates declined from 139.6 arrests per 100,000 in 1995 to 99.7 arrests per 100,000 in 2011.

This has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. I'm talking about snowflakes overreacting to things. It doesn't have to be a reaction that is a violent crime. It could be suicide for example and there are more and more stories about those in the news. It could be complaining because you were picked last in gym class and having mommy or daddy try to change the policy of picking teams that has been in place forever. It could be whining because someone else found out about your grade, something that was common place long after that 1970's law went into place. Things that were no big deal all of a sudden are and they are "bullying". It is pathetic.

Violent crime includes gang violence and many other things that have nothing to do with anything I'm talking about in this particular instance.

I'll say it again, snowflake isn't a term and common discussion here and elsewhere because it doesn't exist. Read almost any teacher thread and you'll see examples of exactly what a snowflake is.

We can agree to disagree. I'm not getting into another multi-page debate. My original statement is 100% correct, I am not surprised. Perhaps others are. Good for them. It is just a matter of opinion. It has nothing to do with crime stats, only observation. My determination comes from my observations and only my observations.

To borrow a phrase: when the facts are on your side, pound the facts. When the statistics are on your side, pound the statistics. When neither is on your side, pound the table.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter