Points lower on Poly Bungalows

MSUmom

MSU mom
It seems like there is a lot of availability for the Bungalows. Do you think they may lower the points so they start to get some use?

It seems like there is a lot of availability for the Bungalows. Do you think they may lower the points so they start to get some use?
I think that is the fear that everyone has always had about the Bungalows. That low demand would necessitate a point reallocation. For them to reduce the Bungalow points, they'd have to raise the Studio points...

I think it is highly unlikely at least before they finish selling points at the Poly. Otherwise the studio points will end up totally out of line with even VGF studios and people will be less inclined to buy there.

i think it could lead to problems at 7 months if noone wants to book bungalows and everyone wants to book elsewhere there is always going to be someone who can't book a room anywhere while the studios are unoccupied.

Now once it is sold out who knows.......

I think that is the fear that everyone has always had about the Bungalows. That low demand would necessitate a point reallocation. For them to reduce the Bungalow points, they'd have to raise the Studio points...

If the resort is not sold out yet they could possibly lower the point cost of the Bungalows and compensate by selling fewer points overall. If I remember correctly, I think this is what happened at BWV with the creation of Standard View rooms there. They created the Standard View category and gave them lower costs per night and didn't raise the cost per night of the remaining preferred view rooms.

If the resort is not sold out yet they could possibly lower the point cost of the Bungalows and compensate by selling fewer points overall. If I remember correctly, I think this is what happened at BWV with the creation of Standard View rooms there. They created the Standard View category and gave them lower costs per night and didn't raise the cost per night of the remaining preferred view rooms.
It is what happened at BWV but there are some who believe that it was planned from the beginning with BWV. I would doubt it to be at all likely now because of sales and because they don't have enough info to make rational changes. Long term I wouldn't be surprised for it to happen at some point. An increase of one point in each studio would be a decrease of 18 points for each bungalow and vice versa as a representation. Of course they could change one view and not the other or some seasons different than others to fine tune the numbers. They do have to even out the numbers though, given the setup it wouldn't be feasible to adjust the bungalows by a small amount.

What would that do to those who bought fixed weeks? IIRC, the only point reallocations that have been done were prior to the fixed weeks were offered.

What would that do to those who bought fixed weeks? IIRC, the only point reallocations that have been done were prior to the fixed weeks were offered.
That's part of the protection offered by the fixed week option. And also why a fixed week costs 10% more points.

That's part of the protection offered by the fixed week option. And also why a fixed week costs 10% more points.

I guess I'm wondering what the "conversion" would be if the owner wanted to convert their fixed week to points. Would it be the value (in points) of their week when they purchased, or the current value?

Have you checked the Resort Availability Tool? The Bungalows are fully booked through the end of this year and there is only partial availability in January 2016.

Availability opens up once you get into late January and February, but it also opens up at most other resorts, too.

It might be the bungalows are extremely popular right now because they are new and people are wanting to try them out. Demand for the bungalows might lessen as time goes on. But for right now I think its still premature to say that there "is a lot of availability for the bungalows."

I guess I'm wondering what the "conversion" would be if the owner wanted to convert their fixed week to points. Would it be the value (in points) of their week when they purchased, or the current value?
The fixed week is a specific number of points. The conversion is fixed. If the point requirement exceed the fixed amount of points, then the fixed week would be more valuable than the conversion if the reservation was released.

Here is an example of what would happen if a Guaranteed Week Owner chooses not to use their Fixed Week:

At PVB, a Guaranteed Week deed for a Standard View studio for week #49 (which starts on December 6 in 2015) costs 130 points. A buyer gets a deed for 130 PVB points which, like a traditional points deed, has a specific Unit number and Use Year. The only difference is that it contains a paragraph showing the owner has the guaranteed right to use all of their points for a Standard View studio for week #49.

If the Guaranteed Week owner chooses not to exercise their right to their studio for a given Use Year, then they can "opt out." If they opt out, the GW owner then has 130 PVB points that can be used like traditional DVC points. The 130 points have home resort privileges at PVB, and can be used at other DVC resorts beginning at the seven month mark.

A GW owner could opt out of using their guaranteed studio and use their points to book the exact same week using traditional points. If so, that same week costs only 118 points, so the GW owner would still have 12 PVB points available to book.

Here is an example of what would happen if a Guaranteed Week Owner chooses not to use their Fixed Week:

At PVB, a Guaranteed Week deed for a Standard View studio for week #49 (which starts on December 6 in 2015) costs 130 points. A buyer gets a deed for 130 PVB points which, like a traditional points deed, has a specific Unit number and Use Year. The only difference is that it contains a paragraph showing the owner has the guaranteed right to use all of their points for a Standard View studio for week #49.

If the Guaranteed Week owner chooses not to exercise their right to their studio for a given Use Year, then they can "opt out." If they opt out, the GW owner then has 130 PVB points that can be used like traditional DVC points. The 130 points have home resort privileges at PVB, and can be used at other DVC resorts beginning at the seven month mark.

A GW owner could opt out of using their guaranteed studio and use their points to book the exact same week using traditional points. If so, that same week costs only 118 points, so the GW owner would still have 12 PVB points available to book.

Got it! So if that same week in a studio were to go up to, say 140 points (I know it couldn't happen in one year due to the cap), then the GW owner would not "owe" another 10 points because it is not only their dates that are fixed, but their point requirement as well, right?

Got it! So if that same week in a studio were to go up to, say 140 points (I know it couldn't happen in one year due to the cap), then the GW owner would not "owe" another 10 points because it is not only their dates that are fixed, but their point requirement as well, right?

You are correct, Kristen. If the owner changed their mine and decided to rebook the same week they converted to points, they would have to come up with the extra 10 points if that was the current weekly rate.

I really don't expect DVC to reallocate the bungalow points to the studios. I think even if the bungalows are not booked with points they will be easily rented for cash. They have a great view and more amenities than the hotel rooms that are labeled as suites, some of which are nothing more than 2 queen beds with a couch added to the single room.

Have you checked the Resort Availability Tool? The Bungalows are fully booked through the end of this year and there is only partial availability in January 2016.

Availability opens up once you get into late January and February, but it also opens up at most other resorts, too.

It might be the bungalows are extremely popular right now because they are new and people are wanting to try them out. Demand for the bungalows might lessen as time goes on. But for right now I think its still premature to say that there "is a lot of availability for the bungalows."

They may be fully booked but by who, members or Disney cash guests?

:earsboy: Bill

At this stage they could be either, since DVD still owns half of the bungalows as on 10 have been declared. DVD might be just renting them for cash, we don't really know.

They may be fully booked but by who, members or Disney cash guests?

Since DVC has some discretion over what room nights go to DRC when members use points for things like cruising, I think it very well could be a GOOD thing for members if cash guests like & reserve the bungalows. (Of course, that assumes that members don't want to use their points to stay in them).

Bungalows filled with cash guests could result in point costs for non-DVC options going down and it very probably would open up availability at other resorts for booking categories & times members DO want to use points for.

So I see cash guests in the bungalows as a win-win.

Since DVC has some discretion over what room nights go to DRC when members use points for things like cruising, I think it very well could be a GOOD thing for members if cash guests like & reserve the bungalows. (Of course, that assumes that members don't want to use their points to stay in them).

Bungalows filled with cash guests could result in point costs for non-DVC options going down and it very probably would open up availability at other resorts for booking categories & times members DO want to use points for.

So I see cash guests in the bungalows as a win-win.

The point that I was trying to make is that lack of availability on the RAT, doesn't mean that members are booking the bungalows.

I was looking in February - Most of the resorts are booked. Bugalows still have availability the entire two weeks. I was debating whether I would stay there. I have 4 nights in a 2 bedroom a OKW but even for 1 night I will have to buy 20 extra poinits for the 160 needed. Tryinig to figure out if it is worth it or should I wait and see if the point cost goes down.

At 115 points per night in January - Bungalows are too expensive for my blood. Give me a grand villa instead.

I was looking in February - Most of the resorts are booked. Bugalows still have availability the entire two weeks. I was debating whether I would stay there. I have 4 nights in a 2 bedroom a OKW but even for 1 night I will have to buy 20 extra poinits for the 160 needed. Tryinig to figure out if it is worth it or should I wait and see if the point cost goes down.
Are you hoping that DVC will reallocate the nightly point costs for a bungalow for February 2016? If so, its not going to happen. The point charts for 2016 have already been released and it would be impossible for DVC to reallocate the 2016 point costs at this time. In order to lower the nightly costs for the bungalows, DVC would have to increase the costs of the studios. The earliest DVC could reallocate point costs at the Poly would be for the 2017 calendar year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter