Points, how many?

nugrape

Earning My Ears
Well, I've been lurking about for quite some time trying to gather as much info as possible. There is a lot of info out here of which I am VERY grateful for. We were at HH in February mainly because of the $99 deal and my in-laws were on the island for the month. I had been toying with a membership for a couple of years and this was as good a time as any to delve into the subject head on. Bottom line was that we bought into BCV because we enjoy Disney, and it was something we could fit into our plans for years to come. We bought 310 points, but I am wondering how many points is the norm or average that people have. I know there are many different reasons for getting more or less, but I am curious to hear what people say they have. I guess I must be having second thoughts as to what the future will bring, and after the children are gone we will will more time on our hands. Did we buy enough or not, since the price is going up in June should we buy more now, or wait? There is no set answer I realize, but hearing what others are doing may help convince me or others that we should have bought more because...... (insert answer), or don't worry about it because .....(insert answer). Maybe it's not a big deal, and I shoudl be happy with what I've got, but it's nagging at the back of my mind. :)

DH and I currently have 200 points, but are hpoing to buy more at the end of the year, so we will have a total of 400. I wish we could afford it now, but we're not quite there yet!

According to our guide, the average number of points purchased is 250. This was in December, so I assume it's from fairly recent information. We have 400 points (150 at VWL and 250 at BWV) and are already talking about adding on another 100! Be careful - it's addictive!

Welcome to the boards and as a new DVC member. If you feel you may not have enough points then you are normal. You could buy double what you have now and feel the same.

You have more than enough to get a 1BR anytime of year for a week but not enough to get a 2BR for a week half of the year. Based on an educated guess from figures I have seen for total members and total points for a resort, I would say you have more than average, which is in the 250 to 270 range. How many points members actually have varies widely from 150 to 2,000 (yes, there are some of those). 2,000 is the max you can buy at any one resort (but you could go to 5,000 by owning at multiple resorts). Thus, that gives you a goal to strive for. We have a substantial amount but our trips often include kids and grandkids and thus often separate rooms. Also, one of our early goals was to always be in a position to be able to reserve at least one 2BR for 12 nights (arriving on a Sun) at least once a year. We have surpassed that.

How many points to buy is the never ending question. We are new DVC'rs too... . We Just bought OKW re-sale and two days after closing added on to BCV.

The price increase in June is teasing us for another add on before then.... or maybe BWV re-sale..... ::::::Sigh:::::::

We bought enough OKW(430) points to take 2 regular (one week) trips a year (one to WDW one to HH or VB) in a one bedroom.

Then we added on 170 BCV points for two reasons.... First, right now Our kids are young and we can travel a lot.... so we do... we plan on using a lot of the Disney Collection resorts and Concienge (sp?) collection resorts and of course a cruise or two <grin> Second, when the girls get older we will need a larger unit (two bedroom) and will be traveling in Peak school holidays.........
Third, 170 BCV points will get us a 2-bedroom in premier season every three years @ BCV (well actually 160 points is all we needed for the 2-bed over X-mas.... but 170 points gave us a total of 600.... as appose to 590!) And lastly........ SAB is too good of a pool not to be able to enjoy it!
:D

Now what will we do with 600 points once the kids are gone??? Hee hee.... Well I cant wait for the days when my husband and I go to WDW to golf on a whim, or chill at the GF for a week :) (one thing I have learned in my three weeks as a DVC'r.... I CAN BLOW POINTS faster than you can blink!!!)

We also bought our OKW points in two smaller contracts... (200 pts and 230 pts) If we discover, after becoming empty nesters, that we have too many points it will be fairly easy for us to get rid of a contract or two.

Gee I just realized I am rambling..... lol sorry. It is late and I am on my third Barcardi and coke (with lime!)

Will we buy more.... maybe.... my husband says as long as our dues are below $2500 a year we can add on..... Sooooooo We are really considering just a few more points.......

SO to answer your question.... I would not worry about more points right now..... The incentives Disney has for BCV is nice, but with the re-sale market the way it is, you will be able to find deals out there even after June. I like owning at two different resorts..... you may someday too.

H

It all really depends on what you want. How long do you want to stay and in what type of accomodations. We purchased 600 points at BCV to stay in a 2 bdrm 1 week in the fall and one week in the spring. We have 2 small childern so we can get away with a 1 bedroom for another couple of years but I have a boy and a girl, they are not going to want to sleep in the same bed for too much longer so we knew we would want the 2 bedroom for both their sake and ours.

We only purchased in last month and are considering an add on so we have enough points if we want to do an extra day at the beginning of our stay and not have to move hotels or if we want to do something like the Disney Cruise. Trust me the adding on points thing is addictive especially reading these boards. I think it is a computer virus sent through the boards.

We initially purchased 175 pts at BWV. Then, 2 weeks after that purchase, we added on another 50 pts at BWV. This past Friday, we just added on 110 at VWL, and I think that will probably be all we will ever have. I would not worry too much if you have enough points or not. You have plenty of time to figure that out. BCV are not going to sell out for some time, and there are always points available on the resale market. Soon BCV will be among them. You can add on at anytime, so there is no need to rush. Good luck on your decision! I am sure most of us have felt what you are going through!

Originally posted by drusba
2,000 is the max you can buy at any one resort (but you could go to 5,000 by owning at multiple resorts). Thus, that gives you a goal to strive for.
LOL, drusba. :D :D :D

Seems like that would give you 4 months a year at DVC locations in a 1BR.....could start up the DVC "Snowbirds" Club....very exclusive membership with over $15,000 in dues each year!:eek:

If you look at the poll 30% of the respondents own 150-200 points. About 60% own between 200 and 500 points and 10% own more than 500 points.

Remember that this poll is self selecting for people who visit this board - I would think that we are more likely to own more points (after all, we are obsessed enough to visit here).

I know we looked at a resale contract that fell through - 150 OKW points held by three families! I have a feeling that, while some people use all their points for their own immediate family, many people buy contracts and either formally or informally share their points with a group of people (i.e. Mom owns the points but grown children use them.) While looking at resale contracts, you see people who didn't take a DVC vacation last year (lots of banked points - sometimes expiring very soon). Obviously, a family that travels twice a year during summer and Christmas needs many more points than a family who visits in September every other year. A family who takes advantage of the other DVC travel opportunities requires more points than someone whose non-Disney vacations don't involve the DVC.

You can always buy more points (and, as someone pointed out, multiple small contracts are easier to get rid of on the resale market if you discover your need is less than you thought - WDW properties selling for reasonable amounts at the 150-200 point level move fast).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter