Point redistribution affected your vacation habits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

casper

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
The last two years DVC has redistributed its points. Some people win and others lose. But my understanding is that they do this in order to keep rooms occupied at near capacity for every night. So the redistribution of points is an attempt to get us to change the way we take our vacations. So let’s hear it DIS people: Have you had to change the way you vacation (i.e. now stay on the weekends when you did not before, shorten your stay, lengthen your stay, etc)?

I don't want this to turn into a gripe session. I think we have heard all we can hear about that. I just want a "factual" account showing how people have changed their vacations because of the point change (good or bad or indifferent).

For me, I now stay at OKW at least once for every two vacations to save my points. If I cannot stay at OKW (which hasn’t happened yet) I will only be able to stay 15 nights instead of 16.

We are not making any changes in our travel habits in response to Point Redistributions.

We generally book 7-12 nights each January in a 1BR BWV unit and continue to do so. Based on our conference schedule, a 7-night stay is minimum and we enjoy adding nights on both ends to make life more comfortable. For 2011, the conference dates moved 2 weeks from its normal schedule ... shifting several of our nights into a more expensive season ... but we still booked a 9-night stay.

No change for us. We usually go Sun-Thurs because of the points but sometimes go Sat-Thurs.

But the DVC points cost doesn't really affect us -- it is what it is. If a trip costs more points than we want to spend, we just stay one less day.

We always plan at least 1 full week in the summer (July or August) so no, for the most part a full week didn't change by much. Sometimes (but not always) we add on a few extra nights to make it 10 nights...the changes haven't affected us on that yet either. We often plan a 2nd or 3rd trip with whatever points are left - those are "bonus" trips and we go for however long we can. So no real affect yet with those plans either. OH, and we also stay at a diff. resort for each trip to add variety - so it's not like we were locked into 1 specific resort for a specific view or whatever. This method of traveling increases our odds of always finding SOMETHING available and is not as restricting.

The only change for us is that we don't have to worry about whether or not our yearly trip includes weekends or not.

With the reduction, we can plan around airfare (which do tend to be better if we fly out mid week) and go from there.

Prior to the change, we would have paid the higher airfare to avoid the heavy point weekends. Win win for us.

We are finding that we can stretch our points more than we realized before. Whether that's because of the point reallocation, I doubt it. We still stay about a week to 10 days so we were paying for weekend points anyway.

No change for us here. We vary with length of stay, size of villa and time of year we travel.

Maybe a bit... I used to work to avoid or minimize weekend nights, and now, with weekends not so much higher, I'm not as concerned about it.

We are kind of in a cross over period. We were for the first couple years doing Sun-Thurs. 2 times a year. We are now deciding that we want to stay longer so 2 things are happening. We are in process of an add on. And when we do move to 7 nights or so, we are not worried as much as the re-allocation really effects DVC'ers still wanting Sun-Thurs. stays. Once we get into a 7night stay groove, i guess we will be fine with it.

I don't think it change our behavior because we have always done long weekend trips of 3-4 days and will continue to do so. But, now we won't feel so much like we're "wasting" points if we have to arrive at 9pm on a Friday night.

No changes for us. We visit at least 4 times a year (possibly 6 this year) and some trips cost a few more points while others cost a few less. Overall no change though.

No change for us, I didn't buy points with an intented time/accomodation. We vacation Sun-Thu, usually in a 2 br, when I'm out of points I borrow from the next year. If I have a family reunion and they all want Disney that year, everybody puts in money and I buy a points transfer from another DVC member to book the OKW GV for the week.. So far it's really worked out well w/ or w/out the reallocation! I also think the yearly 24 one time points purchase option from DVC will come in handy at some point!

it hasn't affected our habits but it has hurt a bit since we already did 10day trips and stayed over at least one weekend. Now those trips cost more and will cost even more next year.

No changes here. Since we vacation differently everytime. We only bought in 08 and we have stayed in SSR 1br, AKV SV 1BR, OKW studio, and will be at Vero for 4 days in Aug in a OVIR before our Wonder Cruise. I just booked AKV 2Br standard for April 2011. We will be bringing another family with us hence the 2br and standard view. Just didnt think the additional points for the view were worth it when our friends advised us they will be at the parks from open to close. Ahhh I remember those park commando days before we owend DVC and learned how to take it slow. ;)

If all works well with our Vero stay.....will most likely be booking a trip on the Dream while on the Wonder and do Vero again next August before that.

We aren't making any changes but it's costing 30 points more per year. Fortunately we have enough points to cover the increase.

:earsboy: Bill

The Point Reallocation topic is limited to This Thread which you can visit on our Mousecellaneous Board.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter