• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Point amounts

we bought in August at AKL 320 points, we then added on in September at VGF with 125 so we own 445 in total :)

I'm from the West Coast too, so I wanted either VGC or Aulani subsidized. I made an offer on Aulani 250, and while waiting for that, a VGC 160 came up, so I offered on that as well. Both offers got accepted, so now we own a total of 410 points. I guess I just did my upgrading early. :)

Hubby says that's it for us, but I really like Poly, so we'll see.

We're doing WDW in Dec, staying at BWV, Jambo and BLT. I'm planning on VGC in May and Oct for the Halloween party. I will probably do Aulani in Feb 2015. Can't wait!

We just passed ROFR and received closing docs on 250 pts.

We knew we wanted at least 200 points as we vacation in March, April, July(sometimes, likely more often now), and Oct/Nov.

We wanted to be able to take about 10-12 nights of trips. With 200 it would be doable in the seasons listed above but might be tight. We found a great deal on 250 points at SSR. Since we live in FL we have gotten used to not booking rooms until 3-4 months out so booking at 7 months would be fine with us and SSR or AKV are fine with us and if we can get something else, that is ok too.

i would look at a few things when figuring out how many points.
1. As someone else already stated, how many nights and how many points are each night. This can vary greatly especially dependent upon the season.
2. Purchase price and if you are going to pay lump sum or finance.
3. Annual dues. While this might not be an issue now, will it be an issue later in life when dues are higher and income (retirement) is lower.

Take those things into consideration and then buy buy buy lol. Dont look back. My DW and I went on our first tour in 2005 and just bought in 2013. We should have bought years ago :)
Hope this helps. :thumbsup2

I just went to ROFR for my first contract 200 points at SSR. Fingers crossed it goes through.

Seems like I have a unique situation.

My fiancé and I purchased 3.5 years ago... direct from Disney in May 2010... 100 points at SSR. We're relatively young and it's just the two of us... 100 is more than enough points for an annual weeklong trip during our desired travel times. Perhaps when we have kids in a few years we will consider adding on, but 100 suits us just fine. :)

My son got married 9/12 and as part of the wedding gift, we purchased 100 SSR points for them. DS and DIL love Disney as much or more than I do. They banked the first year (were already in Disney on my points for part of their honeymoon when I purchased them). 100 for now is more than enough and they banked again. It works great for one trip or even two a year in a studio. Enjoy them!!

I just went to ROFR for my first contract 200 points at SSR. Fingers crossed it goes through.

Good luck!!

We started with 200 (family of 5) and added on a few times bringing our total to 460. We are definitely good and have been good for a long time now. Plus as I stated above, one is married and has 100 points of his own now.

Keep us posted :)

We started with 50, then added 100. We're now in ROFR for an additional 30, which would take us to 180. All at BWV.

Our sweet spot would be 9 nights annually in a 1BR BWV standard view villa, so we need about 220 points. At the pace we're burning points, we have another 12 months to buy the last 50.

We are probably the newest DVC members in this thread, just having pruchased (195) VGF points about 2-weeks ago. We ran the gamut of thinking we didn't buy enough, then thinking we overpaid, to then thinking about getting even more, lol.

I am now of the opinion we would like to add a handful more at BWV, or even SSR in the near future. I would like to own around (250-300), which would be my max, as I don't want maintenance fees that are the same cost as a vacation!

Our reasoning for buying the DVC was how much our vacations have gone up in the past few years. Our first trip to BC was around $5k, then it went close to $6k, and this year it was almost $8k to take the same trip!! We couldn't afford BC this year, so we booked WL---and forgot how much we missed the BC-type accomodations. After walking the VGF we fell in love with it, and could envision spending most (if not all) our vacations there. That is when we decided to bite the bullet and get into the DVC. The big part of our vacations is the accomodations (even more than the parks), so it was a no-brainer for us.

We bought in with 100 points and then 30 more in 2013 both purchases were direct for June UY @ Saratoga.

Since we first purchased we have stayed at BCV and BWV and we were lucky enough to get 3 nights at Grand Cali in Jan 2014 at the 7 month mark.:cool1:

I toy around with the idea of buying 50 at GF, for a once every 3 year stay; however, I probably won't because I don't want to pay 150 per point.

Started with 160 pts direct, then added 50 more direct. 3rd purchase was resale, 120 more points. Currently waiting to hear about ROFR for 200 more. Ekk, when I write it out it seem like so much but not when we have been taking 2 trips a year!!

Started with 200 OKW (resale) in 2006. In early 2012, we added 75 at HH (2 contracts...50 and 25) and then this year we added 100 at AKV and 50 more at HH (all through resale). We have 425 total and 2 UY (June and Aug). I recommend several smaller contracts as the smaller are easier to sell (and if you need to downsize you can). I wish we had just one UY, but it really hasn't been too big of an issue having 2 and we can do 2 transfers per year (though we've only ever done it once in all these years). I'd like more points but we don't really 'need' them. I'd like 35-75 at BCV. We'd use them, for sure. And in fact we have already dipped into 2015 points (but that was to book next August's trip to HH)...and MIL and FIL use 100 of our points per year (well, more than 100 really). But, we can definitely make the 425 points work for us (and MIL).

Just for point of reference, this is how we used our points recently:
2010 (63 points, rest banked)-
Jan: 6 nights in a studio for MIL
2011 (471 points)-
Jan: 6 nights in a 1BR for MIL
Dec: 6 nights in 2BR for us and MIL and 6 nights in studio for SIL
2012 (152 points)-
Aug: 4 nights in 2BR at VB
2013 (695 points)-
Jan: 5 nights in 2BR at BCV
Oct: 3 nights in studio at BLT
Dec: 6 nights in 2BR at AKV for us and 5 nights in 1BR for MIL and 5 nights in studio for SIL
2014 (205 points)-
Aug: 5 nights in 2BR at HH
*we have 8 points for 2014 and 307 for 2015. Our next DVC trip booked will probably be for 2015.

We now have 310 points after a couple add-ons. We thought that we may add on again to bring our total to around 400 but so far 310 points seem like a good total for us. We will see in a couple of years if we need more.

IMO 300 points is a good # for most vacations if you work and get a couple of weeks off a year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter