POFQ vs Dolphin... WWYD?

nanienamou

DIS Veteran
I've been a long time lurker here, but I'm just now starting to post since our first vacation to the World as a couple is in October 2011 and we are starting to look at the resorts more seriously. This trip is ment to be a late honeymoon (since I was nursing my youngest when we got married). :yay:

Ok, so DH an I planned a 12 night stay at WDW followed by a 4 night stay at Universal. :thumbsup2

Looking at regular rates for WDW, I was kinda hoping for a deluxe, but I just can't see myself paying that much for a room even if we have the budget. So I settled on POFQ, since it seems to offer romantic grounds and optional King bed (very important). Tonight, I started looking at the Dolphin, since I remembered how impressed I was with the exterior of this hotel when I went to WDW the first time, in 1992. (we had stayed off-site in Kissimmee - yuck).

We are not planning to take the dining plan and the Magical Express isn't a big deal, since we would only take it once because the second part of our stay will be at Royal Pacific at US. On the other hand, the spa, the pool, the beds and the dining at the Swolfin are all very attractive.

When I price both hotels at regular rate, the Dolphin is slightly more expensive when I add the MYW 10 day tickets - like 100 $ more than POFQ.

So my question, what would you do? Are we gonna miss that much Disney magic if we stay at the Dolphin? The Dolphin also seems a little more grown-up and romantic and that is a good point for us since we are going sans the kids. It also seems more "deluxe" than moderate.

I was so adament about staying on site that I'm scared a little about this hotel as it is not Disney-owned and operated, but I find it really beautiful.

WWYD? :flower3:

I don't think you'll miss the magic, especially because you would be staying right on the same lake as BWI and YC/BC. You are also a very short walk over the bridge to the BW.

This is my favorite area to stay within WDW because of the close proximity to two of the parks and the entertainment/dining options that are within easy access.

I stayed at the Swan once and really enjoyed it - the beds were super comfy!

Good luck with your decision!

We have stayed at the Dolphin many times and I would always choose it in a heartbeat over a mod. The location, the beds, and the staff are all fabulous. I don't think you get much more magical than a view of Illuminations.

I haven't stayed at the Dolphin, but spent a week at the Swan in 2003. Since then I have stayed at POFQ 3 times with 3 very different groups of people. I think both are great choices, but for me things are all about the details and POFQ actually comes out on top.

Here's why:

Swolphin: The rooms are lovely and I enjoyed being able to walk to DHS and Epcot (longer walk). BUT . . . . I really did miss the Disney details. There was a convention of some sort during our stay and the serious suit-wearing crowd harshed my early morning going to a Disney park woo-hoo buzz. Apparently, the convention thing is pretty common. Also, at that time the sink was in the room with the toilet and shower and there was no exhaust fan for all the steam. I know that is pretty nit-picky, but I take really hot showers so the bathroom would get all steamy and stay that way for ages. Which meant I was trying to blow dry my hair in a sauna - neither effective nor fun. The pool is by the Dolphin, so the walk from our far wing of the Swan was LONG to the pool. The buses to the parks seemed less frequent than when I’ve stayed at the Disney resorts.

POFQ: Have stayed here on a trip with my best friend, with my former husband, and with my mom, aunt, and grandmother and it was GREAT for all three groups. I love that there are 2 sinks and that they are separate from the tub/toilet room. Lots of closet and bureau space. My former husband and I stayed in a king bed room and it was huge. That trip we spent the previous 4 nights in a studio at Beach Club Villas and actually like the POFQ king room better. The climate control is very good and the bathroom exhaust fan is very efficient. The pool is fun with a slide but still romantic. I have to give the FQ high points on the romance scale, too. Because it is smaller than any other resort, it is quiet and nothing is a long walk from your room. The grounds are beautiful and the details are spot-on. The food court offers lots of variety but gets very crowded and hectic in the mornings especially. There is no table service rest, but I like to eat in the parks anyway.

So, there are my 2 cents (and then some). Hope it helps and I hope you have a great belated honeymoon!

BTW: you may want to consider renting points from a DVC member for a stay at one of those properties. Especially during the lower point seasons (like October) you can stay in a studio for less than the cost of a regular deluxe resort rate, and sometimes it’s even cheaper than a moderate. Just a little food for thought. The Dis Boards have a whole forum for DVC Points rental/transfer that you might want to check out. There are links to points charts for each resort on the The Dis also.

We're huge S/D fans, having stayed at each three times, 7 to 8 days a trip, and we've stayed at both POR and POFQ. To us it's a no-brainer, any Epcot area resort over any other WDW resort if the price isn't prohibitive. First, you walk to half the Disney parks, no bus issues to Epcot or DHS. Second, the BoardWalk is practically a 'park' in itself, with entertainment, pubs, restaurants and JellyRolls, plus you can see the Illiminations aerials from several spots there. Third, IMHO, the bus service to AK and MK are superior to that of POFQ. The fact that there are conventions at S/D cuts both ways, there are fewer folks lined up for a bus, at least during the day, they're in meetings. Also, IMHO, both PO resorts rank on the bottom of bus service, and we've stayed there, Pop once, AllStarMusic twice, AllStar Sp once, BoardWalk, Swan and Dolphin 3 weeks each, so I know whereof I speak. As to the 'magic' factor, my window views have been of the Friendship boats docking, overlooking BoardWalk and a balcony from which we could see the aerials of Fantasmic. 'Nuff magic for us. BTW, we'll be at BW again in MArch 2011.

Bill From PA

I vote Dolphin, too! I would be tempted to try POFQ, just because we haven't stayed there yet, but we LOVE the Dolphin.

Like other people said...location, location, location. And those Heavenly Beds are awesome. :thumbsup2

BTW...as far as "conventioneers" go, we stayed at YC in May and saw just as many convention-goers as we have ever seen at the Dolphin. Doesn't bother me a bit. :)

I have stayed at POR many years ago and stayed at the Swan...I would chose Dolphin b/c of the location, bed and LOCATION. I don't understand why people say they don't get the Disney feel when they stay here but we had the most amazing service when we stayed at the Swan and dinned at the Dolphin. I would go for the Dolphin.

Thanks for all your input! :)

DH is really set on the Dolphin, the fact that there are conferences/conventions does not really bother us and it seems more "adult", so I think I'll be looking for codes for it and also book a couple's massage at the spa. :love:

Unless I get a 40 % code for WL, it is going to be the Dolphin. :banana:

I would do the Dolphin...even though I love the POFQ I would much rather be in that Epcot/HS location. I love the beds, the free internet, the free bottles of water every day...its great!

Port Orleans FQ! It is beautiful and VERY peaceful. We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside 2 weeks ago but would walk over to the FQ at night to eat and such. So relaxing!!

Dh says the Dolphin hands down without a doubt!

He is sold, sold, sold on the Dolphin. He's stayed there a lot and I think he'd pick it over ANY WDW resort!

He says to tell you that he grew his "mouse ears" while at the S/D resort! We really do enjoy that resort a lot.

It is the cleanest resort that I've been in on property. Great CS and good boat and bus service. Their cafeteria is good food and great service. We've even spoken with the management about how perfect they are in there visit after visit!

I cannot say enough good things about the Dolphin resort. I can't wait to go back!!

I see you have decided on the Dolphin, but just wanted to add another vote for the Dolphin! I haven't stayed at POFQ, but I have been staying at the Swan and Dolphin since 2000, and they are my favorite resorts.

You'll be at WDW during the Epcot Food & Wine Festival (early October-mid-November). There is no better location than an Epcot resort if you plan to spend a considerable amount of time at Epcot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter