POFQ?? Should I try a moderate again?

Ladyhawke10

Grand Floridian girl
I put this as a response to another post, but there were no responses so I thought I should try it this way...

I absolutely LOVE New Orleans and especially, the New Orleans square section in Disneyland...It was always my favorite "land" in Disneyland growing up. I stayed in the Port Orleans Riverside last November, in Magnolia Terrace, and was somewhat disappointed because it was the first time I'd ever stayed in a moderate and had had many stays at deluxe resorts (our favorites are Gf, BWI and AKL). Anyway, I do love the New Orleans theme, however, and what I didn't like about POR was the transportation (it seemed far out from everything and there were a lot of bus issues, such as full buses and having to wait for another). I thought the price of a deluxe was worth it for the transportation and proximity to parks alone (AKL is all buses but they've always been very fast and convenient by our experience).

Beyond the transportation issue, the Magnolia Terrace building was not in that good of repair--there was a lot of visible wear and tear in the common areas and the beds were not very comfortable. The common areas were not kept up (there was a bench in front of our room which had a full ashtray and half full plastic cup full of what looked like red wine there during our entire stay--I didn't want to sit on the bench near the mess). We didn't see this kind of litter/ worn out issues around the lobby or food court, and from what I hear Magnolia Terrace is now getting a rehab--so this issue may be moot. But beyond that, it was also quite a walk to refill mugs, walk to jacuzzi, etc. I missed the robes and close proximity of resort stuff to room that I have had during the deluxe stays.

However, if POFQ has just been rehabbed, and doesn't have the size that POR does, maybe we'd get a room that was kept up really well and there wouldn't be all the walking between our room and anything else in the resort? Also, it sounds like the buses first go to POFQ, so maybe the busses aren't such an issue? Since I find the New Orleans theme so appealing I'm considering trying POFQ, I just don't want to end up wishing I was at a deluxe again like what happened our last stay at POR. Our visits to WDW are so precious and I am hesitant to try another moderate when we have so many deluxes we love, but if there is a great moderate on site, it would be nice to have a wonderful theme and save some money in the process, if that is possible.

Thanks so much for any opinions!!!! :):wave:

Yes go ahead and try POFQ it is great. It is a lot smaller and there is no long walking to anything in my opinion. Yes the buses pick up at POFQ first and also drop off first. Also try the boat to DTD, and remember if you go there expecting it to be just like a deluxe than you will be disappointed.

I absolutely love POFQ. I also like POR a lot. They are lovely resorts and I think you get a lot for the money. That being said, they are NOT deluxe resorts. So, like the earlier poster said, you have to have appropriate expectations. The rooms are smaller, there is no sit down restaurant, etc. The only Deluxe I've stayed at was WL. It was very nice, but, for the money, I'm a Disney moderate gal.

Originally posted by Pooh67_68
if you go there expecting it to be just like a deluxe than you will be disappointed.

Right on the money. You cannot compare a deluxe to a moderate. They are very different. If you stay in a moderate expecting it to be like a deluxe you will not be happy.

Ladyhawk10,
There is no sit down restaurant at POFQ but as you know there is Boatwright's at POR.

The main thing would be that the beds be pretty comfy, that you can walk to food court or jacuzzi from room w/in a few minutes (less than the distance from Magnolia Terrace to food court, which I think is their closest mansion and still too far for me to walk w/ my three year old--he'd get frustrated and then so would I! If we wanted hot chocolate at night or something it was just not worth to haul us both over there and back), and that the buses come fairly frequently so you don't feel stranded, and that the common areas around the rooms look neat and kept up. I love the New Orleans theme so that would be great. BTW are the pool and jacuzzis fairly uncrowded?
Thanks for info :):wave:

We were there week after spring breaks and the resort is small and everything is very close. We were in rooms 2106 and 2107...5 mins to our car, 2 mins to the pool, 3 mins to the boat, less than 5 to the bus stop, 3 mins to food court. Never waited more than 10 mins for a bus. The only thing that annoyed me is that the buses did stop at all 3 POR bus stops, making the trips LONG!! It was annoying!! The good thing is that POFQ is the first stop on the way back from the parks. I've never stayed in a deluxe so I can't compare it..but we really loved the POFQ...your 3 yr old will love the slide, it is not scary at all...goes slow and the pool theme is awesome! The hot tub is nice, too...secluded..took us a whole day to find it! While I probably won't stay here again (just not 'disney' enough for me and my kids!), it is a very clean, well laid out and well maintained resort. I did feel the mardi feel...brick streets, street names like "rue de baga" etc. was really cute and so were the statues. I wouldn't be nervous about this resort if I were you, esp if you like the Mardi Gras stuff

We just stayed there in May, at POFQ. The resort itself is really quaint and nice...really has the New Orleans feel. We really liked the look of the resort on the outside and the grounds were nice, pool was wonderful.

The rooms were sub par, I thought in regards to Disney Standards. The beds and pillows were some of the most uncomfortable I have ever slept on. We have also stayed at numerous WD Deluxe resorts, which this resort is no comparison. I think you would be disappointed since you have your expectations pre set on the standards of a Deluxe resort- I think kind of like we did. We have also stayed at Coronado Springs, which we really liked and would stay there again.

I can't say that we would stay at POFQ ever again.

Can't help with the pool or jacuzzi, never use them. But remember POR is the sister resort to POFQ so you may go over to POR to swim also.

Stayed POFQ two weeks ago. I am a DVC member and am usually in a DVC resort, but I booked this trip very last minute, so I wound up there. It was really lovely. Small, quiet. I loved the boat to DTD, and bus service was great. My room faced the river and was on the ground floor (which I like). I was in building 6. The jacuzzi was removed from the main pool area which was nice, I thought. My room had been totally rehabbed and was great. Very comfortable beds. Outside common areas were pretty. Since the resort is small, it was a short walk to everything. It's not a deluxe, but I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Wow, these reports sound great! We will definitely stay at POFQ. I just looked at someone's trip pics from the pool area and the place looked great, plus the newly redone rooms really looked beautiful. It seems by the small size POFQ may be the best moderate for us. Thanks for the help :)

We have just returned form POFQ today after a 3week stay and found the resort fantastic!!
We stayed in building 5, all buildings are a short walk to the pool, food court and bus stops. We hired a car but only needed to use it on the days we spend out of Disney as the transportation was great. The life guards and John and Adrian at the pool side bar were great. Housekeeping left towel animals and were always appreciative of the tips we left. I can not wait to return to this resort, and would not hesitate to recommend to anyone looking for a Disney resort that offers good service. good accomodation (In my opinion comfy beds and pillows!!) and a nice relaxed atmosphere after a hectic day at the parks!!

Any questions, I will try to answer. POFQ is the best!!

Simon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter