POFQ or Shades of Green?

LORI522

Mouseketeer
We will be visiting WDW at the end of Feb with our best friends. We have the opportunity to stay at either Port Orleans French Quarter or Shades of Green for about the same price (factoring in paying for transportation to/from the airport since SoG doesn't have Magical Express). I love POFQ but have never stayed at SoG. The other family has never been to WDW. Our total group is made up of 4 adults and 4 kids (ages 5, 3, 3, and 1).

Has anyone stayed at both? Which did you prefer? Which has the best/easiest transportation?

A little more info....we will need to come back for naps for the young kids. We don't plan to use the pool. We don't need a dining plan because I have a TIW card. We will not have a car. I have heard that there is a lot of walking at SoG and the 5 year old will not have a stroller.

TIA!!!
Lori

Did you remember when comparing costs that you pay no sales tax at SOG? Chose what works best for you. I can tell you that there is no more walking at SOG than any other resort and you have the advantage of being across the street from the monorail at the Poly.

I think a big part of the decision comes down to location. I've not stayed at Shades of Green since it was The Disney Inn, but we really enjoyed the relative proximity to Poly/monorail because that makes a really easy link to MK and Epcot. We really felt in the thick of it there.

That said, Port Orleans is a beautiful resort. We stay at Riverside, but have walked over to FQ a lot. The advantage to the PO location is that it's on the Sassagaloua river, for a nice boat cruise to Downtown Disney. Other than that, it's buses everywhere, though (though the bus ride to Epcot is not too bad since it's so close).

Aesthetically, though, I think POFQ wins in the look and feel of the resort category. A beautiful piece of property, for sure.

Each definitely has its benefits.

I've stayed at SOG two times and pofq and POR.

I prefer Port Orleans either one. The food court is better. Transportation is better. It is a long walk to the Poly from SOG. The staff is friendlier at port Orleans. There are more activities more beautiful grounds.

I've stayed at SOG two times and pofq and POR.

I prefer Port Orleans either one. The food court is better. Transportation is better. It is a long walk to the Poly from SOG. The staff is friendlier at port Orleans. There are more activities more beautiful grounds.

Pretty much word for word what I was going to say. It IS a long walk to and from the Poly and I found bus transpo at SOG to be problematic for us. SOGs rooms are large, so they have that going for them, but that's about it IMO. I'd much rather stay at POFQ, given the choice.

Out of the two I have only stayed at SOG. It was only ok. The rooms were very spacious. The pools were just regular pools - no slide. The food was HORRIBLE! IMHO I would stay at POFQ. They have a nice pool w/ slide, you can walk to POR and use their amenities - including their pool w/ an even better slide, and pretty good food. They also have a boat that goes to DTD - which is very useful! ;)

These are just my opinions of each. If you think you want to stay at SOG - I say go for it! :)

-FantasiaMagic princess:

We've stayed at POR and Shades of Green (not FQ) and we'll keep staying at Shades. We like the additional transportation options that you have being across from the Poly and the size of the rooms can't be beat. They are bigger than any other standard rooms on property, including the deluxes. We felt totally cramped at POR. We don't eat at the resort much, so the food isn't a deal breaker for us. We didn't mind the walk from the Poly, so sometimes we'd take the monorail there and eat at their quick service before heading back to Shades.

We've stayed at POR and Shades of Green (not FQ) and we'll keep staying at Shades. We like the additional transportation options that you have being across from the Poly and the size of the rooms can't be beat. They are bigger than any other standard rooms on property, including the deluxes. We felt totally cramped at POR. We don't eat at the resort much, so the food isn't a deal breaker for us. We didn't mind the walk from the Poly, so sometimes we'd take the monorail there and eat at their quick service before heading back to Shades.

Love your username! After 10 years living the Army life, I just heard about "Household 6".

Thanks to everyone for posting your thoughts/advice!

We have decided on POFQ. I'll try SoG next time.

Thanks again!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter