POFQ and Marathon Start

Calcio

DIS Veteran
I need some advice from POFQ experts.

I am running the WDW Marathon (well at least the 1/2) this coming January. Last year I stayed at the BWI the night before, and getting to the start from the room was the devil. As I stood in the starting corral (after a journey of about 1 hour) I saw many runners scurrying into the starting corrals from POFQ and Old Key West.

My questions are many:

1. The race begins in front of Old Key West, on both sections of the road that runs between OKW and POFQ, and EPCOT. How far is it from POFQ to this road (for the life of me, even with all the times I've been at WDW, I cannot recall)?

2. Is ther a direct road route from POFQ to this area where the start is? I recall there is a ditch filled with water between the resorts and the road, so hopefully there is a bridge or two over the ditch to the road.

3. What buildings in POFQ are closest to OKW and the starting area?

4. Does anyone know where I can find a detailed map of POFQ?

It seems to me that a room at POFQ the night before the race would require a 10 minute walk max to get to the starting corrals. Sure beats a 1 hour excursion over hill and dale.

Thanks in advance.

We booked at POFQ based on where we saw the marathon starting. It looks like you have to walk down and around to the startline, maybe a mile or so (based on looking at the marathon map). I didn't realize you couldn't walk straight across when I first booked, but figure this mile is a good warm up before the race.

There are links to the POFQ map in the POFQ FAQ thread. Look's like building 3 is the one most people recommend.

We just stayed at the port orleans the last week of April, 2004. Great resort!! It is very close to Old Key West. In fact the POFQ is right (1/2 mile?) after the Old Key West entrance. I think you would actually have to leave POFQ to get to Old Key West. By car it is very short and simple. On foot I would leave about 15 minutes. I do have a detailed resort map of POFQ and POR. It is the same one you can retrieve online, but much clearer. I got some copies at the POFQ itself during our stay. I would be happy to fax you a copy or mail an original if you were interested. Just let me know. Good luck w/ your marathon!!

Thanks to all for their interest and replies.

Based on what you've told me, and a bit of digging on my own (the wonders of the internet), it looks like staying at OKW or POFQ is definately the way to go if you want easy and quick access to the starting corrals of the Marathon and 1/2 Marathon. I'll check it out in detail when I'm down there in December for a long pre-race run (It's tough to get outside in Massachusetts in December), but I suspect from room to starting corral is less than one mile, and a very easy and direct mile at that.

The buses are very convenient to get to the start of the race.

The start is in the Epcot parking lot with the 1/2 and full marathons starting in different places.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter