• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pocket Knife Allowed?

I had a Swiss Army knife go through security in one city and confiscated on my return. I forgot I had it in my purse. Not worth the risk!

This thread is actually more entertaining than I thought it would be...

Those that think it's strange to carry pocket knives / multi tool are probably the same people who ask why you need a knife while they open a box and struggle to rip open the packaging.

Cruise ships have plenty of big knives on board, if you think it makes you safe to disallow a pocket knife you need to stop and think a little..

Offten times small blades are ignored because they really are too small for offensive use (a box cutter is much better for that )

I think the question is fair.

But where do you draw the line for the definition of small? A 3 inch blade may be small to some people but is illegal to carry in some sates. The real problem is people trying to bend the rules because they don't think a particular rule should apply to them. DCL says no knives, so don't bring them.

What if I would like to put very small pocket knifes as fish extender gifts? I'm from Switzerland and I think that would be a good idea for a FE gift. The blade of the small ones is about 2'' so very short... What do you think?

Opinels? I'd be in heaven if somebody dropped an Opi in my FE. I love those simple things. My favorite pocket knife of all time.

But where do you draw the line for the definition of small? A 3 inch blade may be small to some people but is illegal to carry in some sates. The real problem is people trying to bend the rules because they don't think a particular rule should apply to them. DCL says no knives, so don't bring them.
I think the main concern here is ports, if you don't bring anything that can be a problem at ports then that's easier for DCL ..in any case the OP should probably just ask Disney what they consider a knife and if they could expand on the rule.

There are several places I've seen with stated rules on knives, but the expanded rule includes a definition.

Just ask

Or you can just swipe a steak knife at dinner and carry that around :-)

I'm all for any law abiding person's right to such things, even firearms for that matter, but why would you need anything like that on a cruise? They'll provide just about anything you need.

As this lenght of blade is legal / TSA approved on flights I thoght it should be ok on the ship...
As we are Swiss I wanted to give something real Swiss as FE gift too... If you have ever seen one of this baby-knifes maybe my question is more understandable... I don't want to bring anything dangerous to the ship...;-)

What if I would like to put very small pocket knifes as fish extender gifts? I'm from Switzerland and I think that would be a good idea for a FE gift. The blade of the small ones is about 2'' so very short... What do you think?

I think they are awesome fish extender gifts. I would love to have one as a gift, beats a sachet of ketchup any day.

As this lenght of blade is legal / TSA approved on flights I thoght it should be ok on the ship...
As we are Swiss I wanted to give something real Swiss as FE gift too... If you have ever seen one of this baby-knifes maybe my question is more understandable... I don't want to bring anything dangerous to the ship...;-)
As noted frequently, DCL does not allow knives. If it's a "knife" then it's not allowed. Regardless if it's a "baby" knife.

As noted frequently, DCL does not allow knives. If it's a "knife" then it's not allowed. Regardless if it's a "baby" knife.

And TSA at MCO is not known for its consistency. Things allowed or not having to be removed from bags at other airports - even NYC airports - are confiscated and/or yelled about at MCO. I would not chance it through there.

Chocolate is Swiss also - I think more people would love that than a knife.

He had four different ones with him on our last cruise, with at least one in his carry on and the others in his checked luggage. My wife always has at least two Swiss Army knives

I'm not trying to be a smart alec, but in all honesty, why did he need 4 different knives on a cruise? What did he use them for?

And watches (Swatch, Rolex, Cartier, Omega), and cheese (yum, Swiss fondue cheese), cowbells, and many other things. I've always appreciated recipes for local foods in our FEs.

I know they are a Swiss company but I cringed when I saw swatch in the same list as Rolex, Cartier and Omega! At least put them last... :-)

I'm not trying to be a smart alec, but in all honesty, why did he need 4 different knives on a cruise? What did he use them for?

I feel it actually is a smart aleck question because you prefaced it with a disclaimer, and it shouldn't matter to anybody but him but I'll answer anyway. He's a Boy Scout through and through and always is prepared. It doesn't matter if he never has a need for it. He subscribes to the same motto I do. "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it." For him, if one is good, two is better, three is the bare minimum and four is just right. He will always have at least two pocket knives on him at all times, and that's not including the folding credit card knife in his wallet that he forgets he even has most of the time. He's always had at least two pocket knives on him in the 48 years I've been his son, and I can't even count the number of times one has come in handy for all sorts of little things we never think about. I was the same way for me for a long time. My EDC always consisted of keys, wallet, knife. Minimum. I broke that habit a few years ago and it wasn't easy. I still keep a knife on my keyring most of the time. That one has accidentally gotten through airport security a few times because I forget that it's there until I'm at my destination.

The trip itself wasn't just a cruise. We did land afterwards, and he has a habit of always carrying a pocket knife or three on land as well. He actually had one taken from him at Universal, but the security guard was really nice and held it for him until we left. He also carries two wallets. One with cash and credit cards, the other with everything else he thinks he needs to keep with him. This is the same man who brought enough socks for three weeks. It's just his thing. I can't imagine him breaking the habit at 75 years old.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter