• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Plus sized woman looking suggestions for a good/comfortable bicycle

HappyGilmore

It is never to late to have a happy childhood!!!
Plus sized woman looking suggestions for a good/comfortable bicycle so that we can go riding together with the kids and burn some much needed calories. Prefer a standard type bike over one that has gears and looking for a comfortable large type of seat. I have checked at ToysRUS, Walmart and Target and no one has a selection now that Christmas has just passed. Does anyone have any suggestions of what works good for you and perhaps I can order it online.
Thank you !

I would suggest finding the bike you want and then just ordering one of the bigger butt shaped seats that allows you to actually sit on the seat instead of having the seat all jammed up in between your legs. I am not plus sized but even for me, a normal bike seats just hurts my butt. I have to have a wider, butt shaped seat to be comfortable.

Something like this, or even bigger if you can find it.

http://www.amazon.com/Large-Sofa-Gel-Comfort-Seat/dp/B000TD24VG

I ordered a Schwinn from a local bike dealer last spring, the model is called "Cream". I found it on Schwinn's web site and fell in love. It's a one speed cruiser/hybrid, so it looks a little retro, but is very well built and I absolutely adore it. Best thing I did all last year! It made me happy just getting on it and going for a spin. I found the local bike guy to be very helpful, and would definitely go that route again, instead of doing the walmart/target thing. Way better service, and I know I can take it back and they'll fix it if anything goes wrong.

Just to echo the other posters: find the bike you want and then get a custom seat put on it. Much more comfortable.

And I personally would pick up a bike second hand off Craig's List or at a garage sale or the thrift store and tool around on it (with a new, good seat). It's amazing the number of people who buy bikes, don't use them and then sell them cheaply. Not investing a lot of money at first lets you find out if this is the exercise for you and if it's something you can really commit to before you have an investment! (Actually, I recommend this for any new form of exercise.) If you are still using the bicycle after a couple of months go to a local bicycle shop and talk to the folks there and get a bike that is perfect for you. You'll be much happier long term.

I would also recommend a bike shop. . . those guys and girls are full of information! I have an Electra Townie cruiser bike. It has "flat foot technology" that allows you to have your feet flat on the ground when you stop, even when your seat is adjusted to the proper height. Other brands of bikes have models with similar design, but it's important to me to be able to touch the ground easily when I stop. DH, who is a bit of a bike snob (owns fairly pricey road and mountain bikes) got himself a Townie to use when we take the bikes on greenways and to campgrounds.

If you can't find a seat you like or can tolerate, suggest you research the Kick Bike.

toucan20.jpg

I'd recommend what is called a "cruiser" or "comfort" style bike. The seat and handlebars are situated so you sit up straight, and the pedals may be set a bit forward for comfort.

I have a Trek Cruiser and loooove it. I tried a couple of different models before I found the one that fit me best, so I'd definitely go to a bike shop that will let you take a few out into the parking lot for a spin.

If you are somewhat out of shape, I would suggest you re-think the whole idea of a non-geared bike, unless you live on terrain resembling a salt flat.

Pedaling a single-gear bike is very difficult on even the slightest of hills if you are not in good cardio condition. Your legs will cramp and you'll be winded very quickly.

Due to back problems I now ride an upright-style Diamondback Vital 2. It is a hybrid frame on 28" wheels, and it has 21 speeds, and front and rear suspension. I live in an area with modest hills (no more than 50 feet high or so), and I *use* that derailleur; I wouldn't be able to reliably keep up with my kids if I didn't.

Dick's Sporting Goods tends to have good prices on mid-range bikes; I paid $280 for the Diamondback.

PS: It's dead easy to change a saddle; just pop the post lever and slip the new one on. I don't care for really wide saddles because they make it hard to put good force into the downstroke, but I use an extra gel cover on whatever saddle I ride; it makes things much more comfy.

I would also recommend a bike shop. . . those guys and girls are full of information! I have an Electra Townie cruiser bike. It has "flat foot technology" that allows you to have your feet flat on the ground when you stop, even when your seat is adjusted to the proper height. Other brands of bikes have models with similar design, but it's important to me to be able to touch the ground easily when I stop. DH, who is a bit of a bike snob (owns fairly pricey road and mountain bikes) got himself a Townie to use when we take the bikes on greenways and to campgrounds.

My wife has an Electra Townie, she's not a big bicyclist. She just wanted something comfortable and simple and she loves it. Going to a bike shop where you can ride the bikes and the staff can help point you in the right direction is definitely recommended!

This is the bike I have. I love it! It came with a big seat that is very comfortable. It does have gears, but it is very easy to use. I don't think I would ride a bike without being able to shift into different gears, it makes going up hill so much easier. We buy all our bikes from a local bike shop and have been very happy.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/suede.dx.w.charcoal/9052/48946/

Gears are your friend. ::yes::

No matter what type of seat you get, your "rear" has to be conditioned just as do your muscles. Only way to get used to a bike seat is to spend time on the seat.

Target has been selling some pretty nice Schwinn Bikes...designed for comfort...with an upright seating position.

You really do want gears....allows you to maintain proper pedaling cadence regardless of terrain...get up hills easier :scared:...saves your knees. Too many people worry about "what gear they're in"...don't...just select the gear which allows you to comfortably pedal. Change gears as often as needed to maintain your desired cadence. You'll be a much happier cyclist. :)

When choosing a bike...you really do get what you pay for...buy a cheap bike, you get a cheap bike. Good advice given earlier to look for good, quality used bike on CL or classifieds or yard sales. You don't want a $80 WallyWorld bike.

Hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter