Plus-Sized Guests

ladyjane63

Mouseketeer
And yes... that would be me. I saw a thread a week ago on here & now I can't find it. Please, please, someone out there offer me some encouragement. I am a plus-size gal who is going to Disney in 2 months. I need to lose 100 lbs. No chance of that happening before trip. Are there any rides, I won't be able to enjoy with my family due to my size? I wear anywhere from 3-4x clothes. I'd send a photo, but obviously, I'm not overly fond of having my picture made. :scared1:

And yes... that would be me. I saw a thread a week ago on here & now I can't find it. Please, please, someone out there offer me some encouragement. I am a plus-size gal who is going to Disney in 2 months. I need to lose 100 lbs. No chance of that happening before trip. Are there any rides, I won't be able to enjoy with my family due to my size? I wear anywhere from 3-4x clothes. I'd send a photo, but obviously, I'm not overly fond of having my picture made. :scared1:

Just to answer you here, you have really nothing to worry about. I had the same worries when I went to WDW for the 1st time in 2004. I am a big guy, always have been and based on what we have locally for "amusement parks" I have gone on any rides since I was a freshman in high school because everything is so small. With what we have for rides, your lucky to get on comfortably if your average size or better. So that's what I had in my mind going to WDW.

Well you know what, my thoughts and worries were unwarranted. I am 6'4" and hover arround the 350lb mark and I was able to ride everything with no problems at all. WDW attractions are made to fit guests of all shapes and sizes. The only rides that I can remember being a little tight were the Tea Cups (yes, had to ride at least once) and Space Mountain and Space Mountain was more because of my height.

Go, have fun, and don't worry about a thing. ;)

I would agree with the last poster. i was also able to ride everything very comfortably except for the teacups. I did get to go on space mountain, but I am vertically challenged :lmao: at only 5'3". I cant speak on any of the roller coasters, like rockin roller coaster, because i am not a big thrill rider....although this time I am going to go on test track no matter what...it's more of an overcome fears thing. you won't feel out of place, or made to feel uncomfortable while you are at wdw. my dh wants to go on some kind of a cruise that stops on a beach...that's the vacation I am worried about. at disney, just sit back and relax!!:flower3:

:woohoo: Thanks everyone! Sounds like a 'big girl' like me, still gets to party with the fam! :yay: Thank you all! :grouphug:

You will have a great time! You have been given great information and that allears link is a great place to start.

As someone that is also a Plus size woman, I caution you to just be aware of your body and what it can handle. We tend to be more sensitive to the heat and all the walking. Make sure you keep yourself hydrated with LOTS of water and when you start feeling tired or achy plan to go and see a show or sit and rest a bit while the family rides something. Or plan to do a few hours in the morning (the best time to be at the parks!) and then go back to the hotel and swim and rest to give your body a break.

If you can at least start a walking program at home to get your body ready for the walking you will do, and so you will have a good idea of how much you can take before you need a rest. You don't want to be at the far side of Epcot and realize that your knees and feet just can't go any further (yep, I know from experience:rolleyes: )

And every pound you can take off between now and the time you go will certainly help. Disney does have some great healthy choices for meals that are wonderful if you want to start something and keep it up while you are there. I will say that while I have enjoyed some of their lighter meals, I have also really enjoyed quite a bit of those unhealthy meals and with all the walking I have never gained weight while there.;)

Have a great trip and :welcome: to the DIS!!

Hey there! Nice to meet you!
Everyone has already given you some great information and reassurance! As a fellow Pooh-sized girl, I just wanted to add my voice to the choir... you will have a great time! :thumbsup2

If you have time, and are interested, I invite you to check out my September 2007 trip report (see below in my signature). After each day in my report, I offered a "Pooh-Sized" report, detailing any issues I might have had as a larger-sized girl enjoying The World. There weren't many, but I did have a few issues with things that weren't rides... like turnstyles and theater seats. ;)

Have a wonderful trip, and I hope to see a trip report when you return!

There weren't many, but I did have a few issues with things that weren't rides... like turnstyles and theater seats. ;)

Have a wonderful trip, and I hope to see a trip report when you return!

My DW and I are both "Plus Size". We have been going to WDW for over 20 years and have been every ride (that we wanted to). The only problem that my DW has had was with some of the turnstiles also. Disney has replaced many of those moveable turnstiles with photosensors so it is better.

Go and enjoy. :thumbsup2

I wanted to reiterate something a previous poster said. Be sure to start a walking program now. Don't do it because you're trying to lose weight, necessarily, but because it will help your legs, feet, ankles, and body be prepared for the miles of walking you'll be doing. Keep track of how long you can walk - if you find just before you leave for your trip that more than a couple of miles wears you out, consider renting an ECV. (My stepdad is a pretty big guy with a replacement hip - the ECV made the trip SO much more manageable for him).

I did this to prepare for our trip, walking while listening to the DISUnplugged Podcast, and it made all the difference. Incidentally, this topic was addressed on the Podcast recently. You can look it up under the "Archives" section.

Have a fantastic trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter