Pls Help - Wheelchair access to Walt Disney Theater?

Ursula's Mom

Mouseketeer
We are going on the August 14, 2004 western with my 93-year old grandmother who uses a wheelchair to get around (she can walk a few steps, but cannot walk much more than that alone-and she cannot walk down a set of stairs).

I was curious - where do wheelchairs enter the Walt Disney Theater for the shows? I have not been on the Magic. I have been on the Wonder, but my grandmother was not with us on that trip, so I did not take notice of whether there were ramps for wheelchairs to get into the theater. I recall that after we entered the theater at the doors on deck 4, there were stairs going down.

I think my grandmother would like to see some of the shows, so any info as to how we can get her into the theater would be appreciated!

Thanks, Kathy

You can use the same entrance to the theatre on Deck 4 and they have a reserved section in the back for wheelchairs. Arrive a little early and a cast member will help you get settled.

I might add that you can enter from either door as there is ample room on both sides. There are also padded, straight chairs for you to sit in!

Arrive early and they can get you to the front row. This also needs to be done if you are on the Eastern and do US citizen customs upon return to St Thomas. There are elevators that go though the side, the CMs can get you there, come to the normal theater entrance and just ask for assistance. Excursions can also require assistance through these "non-public" areas, especially if only one end of the ship is available for tendering or exit. Good luck, it is not the most pleasant aspect of getting around on the Magic. Patience is required.

Carla

Thanks again to all who replied!

Abitjaded - I think I know what you mean - I am used to things taking longer with getting around when we travel with grandma. She lives with me, so I am used to making changes to the regular routine when we go to restaurants, shows in NYC, etc.

We are going on the western cruise, and we decided that we will get off at stops where the ship docks (key west, cozumel, castaway key). Grandma already said she wants no part of trying to get on a tender in her wheelchair. So we will try to enjoy the ship that day with less of a crowd on board.

Again, thanks for your help!

Talk with Guest Services after you board. They will reserve a block of seats for your family. If grandma can transfer to a theatre seat, that's great. If not, they'll reserve a block next to the wheelchair area. You will still want to arrive a little early since you'll need some assistance, but at least you're not worrying about seating.

Please stop by the disABILITIES board!! I have been on several Disney cruises, as have some other regulars there, and we may be able to help. I don't come by here much, but do visit there pretty regularly.

Re shows, be sure to get there a bit early so you can get settled. They have reserved seating where guests can stay in their wcs. It is also helpful to arrive early for activities so you can get a suitable spot. The other big tip I have is to allow extra time if you are going to use the elevators, especially during peak times. They are small and can be crowded.

The ship itself is no problem, but if you plan to do shore excursions or even to go off the ship, you may wish to stop on by the disABILITIES board to see if others have gone to the things you want to do. Anything outside the US is not ADA compliant so grandma may not necessarily be able to, for example, go into the shops. Even in the US (ex Key West), Disney does not run the excursions and it is hard to get accurate info. However, Castaway Cay is, of course, Disney so it is ADA compliant.

Have a super time!!!!!

:wave: Cupcake

My dad got a wheelchair onboard for our western cruise because the stress of the early part of the trip (he couldn't sleep, then our room at Ron Jon wasn't available) made his back act up really badly.
He didn't get off at any of the stops except CC, which he really enjoyed. One minor glitch was that when DH pushed him back to the ship, the elevators were down for maintainance. They(mom and dad) had to wait about 20 min. but they didn't mind.
One word of caution about Cozumel--at least in July the sidewalks were all torn up for some kind of construction. There was almost a channel cut down the center of the sidewalks! A wheelchair on those sidewalks would have been an absolute nightmare! Unless they finish that work by your trip, you may want to go into town first and check it out before you take Grandma out there.
Robin M.

We just returned from the July 17th Western & Cozumel is not very accessible for someone in a wheelchair. To make matters worse, the elevator which can take you up over the busy streets when you get past the dock was not working. It looks like they are starting to renovate the area, but for right now it's a nightmare.There also is no wheelcahir accessible transportation there. Hopefully things will change soon. Our friend who uses a large motorized wheelchair, was unable to go to Grand Cayman beacuse of the tender boats, but he really enjoyed getting around Key West , Castaway Cay & the beautiful Disney Magic!! Can't wait to book our next cruise!! Cathie & The Gang :wave2:

I believe you can get to the front of the Walt Disney Theatre in a wheelchair if you ask for assistance throught the Sessions lounge on deck 3.

We cruised last year and my wife spent most of the time in a wheelchair. I agree with the other posters that you check out the DISabilities board. I posted a somewhat lengthy message there about tendering in a wheelchair - I'll post the link if I can find it!

If you have any other questions, post them here and I will also try to answer them!

Regards,
... The Ottawacriuser

Kathy, Just a note, tenders are not impossible if she can transfer. I cannot comment on Cayman, but we were able to do it from the Magic to Charlotte Amalie and to the Leylon Sneed. And it was well worth it. You would be amazed how good and cooperative some of the private and co-opted shore excursion folks are. My mother is 87 and can also walk a bit, the wheelchair we had was the companion type. When are you going? We are not taking my Mom in October, but I can scope things then for you on the Western itinerary. I think DCL just has a tendency to say "don't do it", just because that is the easy answer.

Carla

I use a power chair as a rule, but I had heard so much about Grand Cayman and HAD to go. We checked out a manual chair at Guest Services and headed to the WDW theatre for tender tickets.

Be sure and ask where the large tender is (aft or forward) there are fewer stairs involved. I can transfer with a little assistance, so it was pretty easy. I asked the tender guys what would happen if I couldn't walk, the said they would carry me. They were large, strong men!! I am a normal size woman, not tiny.

Grand Cayyman is pretty accessible. There even is a handicapped bathroom on the 2nd floor where the Harley Shop is. We got in a taxi and did the island tour for $15 a piece. We are cruising again in December (Royal Caribbean) and Grand Cayman is a stop we are looking forward to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The main drawback to Disney boats on an accesible level is that the elevators are small.

Sherry

I use a power wheelchair as well as need interpreting for the shows. Fortunately I was doing very well on the cruise and only used my cane but I was told by the interpreters not to worry because there was a way for me to enter the theater and not use the stairs through a side door and if I needed to it would be arranged.

We are going on the August 14, 2004 western cruise - so less than two weeks left to go!

I will get off the ship first to check out Cozumel's sidewalks, etc to make sure we can make it with the wheelchair. Thanks for the warning!

We have a folding companion chair for my grandma, but she really insists that she does not want to try the tender. I wish we could get her to change her mind. We have a 27 foot boat and she has been to the dock and wanted no part of getting on our boat. I have explained that the tenders for the cruise are much bigger than that. I hope that when she sees how big they really are, she will change her mind.

My grandma is a real beach lover, so I would like her to go to Grand Cayman and see the beaches there. But its very hard to convince my very stubborn grandma to change her mind once it is made up! Wish me luck!

I will also check the disABILITIES board as well!

Again, I appreciate all of the responses. This board is such a great place to get information!

Thanks, Kathy

Wow, Kathy, soon. Give us a report when you return, please! Hopefully she will change her mind. The tenders can be huge! Not at all like getting on a boat from a dock. More like a large ramp on one level from a huge ship to a ferry.

Be sure and check with Dining when you board. Ask them to make sure you have a table close to the aisles and fronts of the restaurants. We were once buried at the very back. A pain to get the wc through and poor site lines for any "shows" in the dining areas if g'ma does not want to pop up and down in her chair. Plus closer to the restrooms, don't know about your's, but our g'ma kept me busy.... Find one of the dining captains if you get your shrimp at Parrot Cay when you first board, they can give you a good idea where your table assignments are.

Unsolicited advice, cont: And watch the lips from carpet to deck, especially going from inside to outside on deck 9. The forward elevator lobby has a fair pitch. Avoid the mid-ship elevators if you can. The forward and aft are much less congested. Amazed me how many able-bodied folks went one floor, and we waited and waited..... Deck four is a nice stroll with the wc, less bodies and tables and chairs to dodge, plus one side will always be shady.

Carla

Hi Carla:
I'll be sure to let you know how it all goes on this western trip when we get back. I'll have to wait and see about the tenders after she gets a chance to see how really big they are. But I really want to try to get grandma into Cozumel with us, so I hope the sidewalks are not a disaster when we get there.

Thanks for the tips on the dining, decks and elevators. I will be sure to see one of the dining captains when we arrive. We are flying in the day before, so I am hoping to get to the port early so that we can board early.

So true about the bathrooms - my mom and I were just saying last night that it seems like grandma has to go the bathroom about 7-10 times a day!

Thanks again for all your help! Kathy

We were there about 2 years ago and I walked. We only did the main shopping area that was close by, but it was no picnic for a wc user as there were benches and poles on the sidewalk that would have been a real issue if I had taken my wc. So maybe they are making it better. I also recall that there were some *really* steep wood ramps placed over steps for access to some of the shops with steps.

I have to run now, but I know that the accessibility of excursions (or the lack thereof for certain ones) has come up before on disABILITIES. I seem to recall seeing that someone toured the island in a rented car and thinking that would be a great idea if we did the Western again, but that's just me (limited walking, can't tolerate lots of sun, like to sightsee). Hopefully the search function is working so you can see what others have done. Have a great cruise!!

:wave: Cupcake

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter