Pleasure Island/ The Adventurers Club

kendall1968

Earning My Ears
This was our first trip since closing shop on Pleasure Island. It was sad to walk through and see so many empty spaces which once housed fun spots like 8 Trax, Mannequins and the comedy club....what was MOSTLY missed was The Adventureres Club. We loved that place so much and even signed a petition to keep it when Disney announced they were closing. Not sure what Disney's reasoning was for the shut down. I had heard it was to make a more "family friendly" enviornment. I didn't find it anymore "family friendly"....just a ghost town of what it once was. People were still drinking, only this time with no place to go. I really just wish they would bring back The Adventures Club. It was a great place to have drinks and be entertained at the same time. The cast members were always so much fun and the shows, while always the same, were also always different depending on the audience. It would also be nice to be able to dance to some 70's music, current dance music or even see a comedy show. I guess Disney thinks the empty buildings are more fun. :confused3

I miss it too. When I was a CM we went every Thursday night (the only night CMs got in for free) and had a lot of incredibly fun times there. I would have liked to have taken DH but by his first trip it was already gone. But he and I have had great times and made great memories at Raglan Road so you just gotta roll with the punches!

This was our first trip since closing shop on Pleasure Island. It was sad to walk through and see so many empty spaces which once housed fun spots like 8 Trax, Mannequins and the comedy club....what was MOSTLY missed was The Adventureres Club. We loved that place so much and even signed a petition to keep it when Disney announced they were closing. Not sure what Disney's reasoning was for the shut down. I had heard it was to make a more "family friendly" enviornment. I didn't find it anymore "family friendly"....just a ghost town of what it once was. People were still drinking, only this time with no place to go. I really just wish they would bring back The Adventures Club. It was a great place to have drinks and be entertained at the same time. The cast members were always so much fun and the shows, while always the same, were also always different depending on the audience. It would also be nice to be able to dance to some 70's music, current dance music or even see a comedy show. I guess Disney thinks the empty buildings are more fun. :confused3

I agree. I do miss Pleasure Island! We spent a good portion of our honeymoon down there 10 years ago and had soooooo much fun!!!! I never thought it wasn't family friendly either. I remember little kids out on the dance floor having a good old time!!!

I miss 8 Trax! I loved watching all the people there dance who had never, ever been to a club before! In 2008, just before it closed, my DGF and I were there at the same time as a whole group of people from Microsoft. Hilarity ensued...

popcorn::

I agree. I do miss Pleasure Island! We spent a good portion of our honeymoon down there 10 years ago and had soooooo much fun!!!! I never thought it wasn't family friendly either. I remember little kids out on the dance floor having a good old time!!!

I was never there when kids were allowed. I remember having to show my ID at the entrance, and there being no kids.

Adventurers Club was my favorite. Miss it.

For those of you who loved the AC, I unfortunately never had the pleasure of going myself, there is now a kiosk in PI complete with outdoor seating that is in reference to AC, I don't think it is opened just yet. I saw it on the DFB site.

Here is the link, but you will have to scroll down a bit to get to it...enjoy :goodvibes.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/

Adverturer's Club was a great time! We never go to Downtown Disney any more. Last time we went was to see Cirque and then we left. All the cool stuff is long gone.

I was never there when kids were allowed. I remember having to show my ID at the entrance, and there being no kids.

Adventurers Club was my favorite. Miss it.

I believe kids were allowed until 9 or 10 (and I'm just referencing some clubs at PI, not AC specifically)... We didn't have kids at the time but we remember thinking how much fun it would be to bring our own kids someday.

Adverturer's Club was a great time! We never go to Downtown Disney any more. Last time we went was to see Cirque and then we left. All the cool stuff is long gone.

TREX was kind of cool, but that was after a few hours drinking at the Irish Pub Raglan Road and their outside patio bar Hole in the Wall. (They really did TREX up right though.)

I believe kids were allowed until 9 or 10 (and I'm just referencing some clubs at PI, not AC specifically)... We didn't have kids at the time but we remember thinking how much fun it would be to bring our own kids someday.

I remember kids being allowed in the Adventure's Club. They didn't quite get all of the jokes.

I miss the Adventurer's Club so much but I was tickled when we went to the Hoop Dee Doo last year and the CM I remember as Samantha Sterling was playing the part of Flora!

The Adventurer's Club is one of those things I never got to do, but have read about so much that I miss it as much as if I had.

I too miss the Adventurers Club. Other than Jelly Rolls, there isn't any other entertaining venues at night for adults.

I used to really enjoy heading to PI for a few hours on each trip. Loved Adventurers Club..a lot. Now?? I just don't go over there. I can trip over kids in the parks and in the main DTD. There is no reason for me to go to PI anymore.
In fact, I don't always make it to DTD on every trip anymore!! There just isn't enough there to make me want to go. I mean..bowling??? Nope. Movies? Nope, can do that at home. And the shops are getting to be boring.

A friend of mine who was always a big Adventurer's Club fan just went to Disney World a few weeks ago, and before she left I surprised her by getting my graphic designer roommate to whip-up an original Adventurer's Club t-shirt. She wore it to Downtown Disney and was hoping that maybe there would be a fellow fan who would see it and give her a thumbs-up or something but sadly nobody did.

Disney has pulled the Adventurer's Club cast out of mothballs a few times over the last year or so (they performed for a convention of travel agents at one of the resorts, and I think they did a special Christmas party for CM's as well), and there was a story on the Save Pleasure Island blog recently about how Disney has oddly started copyrighting the characters from the AC (years after all of Pleasure Island was closed down?), so who knows, maybe there's a chance that there's something in the works for them still.

Not sure what Disney's reasoning was for the shut down. I had heard it was to make a more "family friendly" enviornment.

The reason for the shutdown was to lease the space to third parties. Unfortunately the economy tanked at that time, and they were not able to find many third parties willing or able to sign up.

Children of any age were allowed in the comedy clubs (Adventurers Club and Comedy Warehose) if they were accompanied by adults.

Most of the AC cast still works for Disney. You can find them around the parks.

Our kids always enjoyed the Adventurer's Club, and the Comedy Warehouse. I don't recall the name, but there was also a nightclub where you could play pool upstairs, and they served snacks and drinks; it was great fun. We returned to Pleasure Island this past October, and DS thought it was depressing. :sad1:TOO SAD.
Let's hope Disney finds a way to reinvent PI to create an entertaining, and safe environment were we can all go to have a good time.

It's funny reading the posts--I personally never had any desire to to to PI BECAUSE it allowed kids. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter