Pleasure Island Closing Night Clubs

D

debsays

PLEASURE ISLAND NIGHTCLUBS CLOSING

SEPTEMBER 28, 2008

After close to 20 years in operation, Disney's Pleasure Island is undergoing a major overhaul, including the closure of the Adventurer's Club, Comedy Warehouse, 8 Traxx, Mannequins and BET Sound Stage.

While details are scant, the redesigned Pleasure Island will be a mix of new dining and shopping venues.

Pleasure Island Annual Passholders can request a pro-rated refund.

The Pleasure Island nightclub entry option on both Premium Annual Passes and Water Park Fun & More passes will no longer be offered after September 28. Starting on June 28, a round of golf on the nine-hole Oak Trail Golf Course will become a ticket enhancement for both of these passes.

Moving this over to the Disney Rumors & News Board since it's :offtopic: for the Budget Board.

more info...

Lake Buena Vista, Fla. (June 27, 2008) – Walt Disney World Resort today unveiled a new vision for Downtown Disney, with extraordinary new shopping, dining and other experiences including a completely re-imagined Pleasure Island. Also planned are numerous enhancements to popular Downtown Disney locations, as well as additional theming and storytelling brought to life by Walt Disney Imagineers.

"We are committed to offering guests new and exciting experiences they can only have at Walt Disney World Resort," said Downtown Disney Vice President Kevin Lansberry. "Our bold new vision for Downtown Disney reflects the feedback we receive from our guests each and every day and will enable us to continue to offer the high-quality entertainment that is our hallmark."

Over the next year, the 120-acre entertainment-shopping-dining complex will add a number of one-of-a-kind, immersive experiences for guests. Downtown Disney will even get its own iconic attraction, in the form of a giant, tethered balloon that will take guests 300 feet into the air to view the amazing vistas of Walt Disney World Resort. Other new experiences include:

· In fall 2008, guests will enter a world of prehistoric creatures at T-Rex: A Prehistoric Family Adventure. The dinosaur-themed family eatery will serve up pizzas, pastas, seafood and more, and will feature life-size animated dinosaurs that dwell among bubbling geysers, waterfalls and a fossil dig site.

· Also this fall, a design-your-own t-shirt store from Hanes will add to the growing collection of merchandise guests can personalize at Downtown Disney.

· E-brands Restaurants, an Orlando-based, multi-concept restaurant group, will premier its newest concept at Downtown Disney in spring 2009. The high-energy, casual eatery will feature authentic Central and South American cuisine, specialty drinks and live music along the waterfront.

Guests also will enjoy a brand new mix of shopping and dining experiences at Pleasure Island as it is transformed over the next two years.

"Our guests tell us they want additional shopping and dining experiences at Downtown Disney," added Lansberry. "We are currently considering a number of unique concepts from around the globe as we re-imagine Pleasure Island and look forward to sharing our progress over the coming months."

To make way for the new offerings, all of the clubs currently on Pleasure Island will close on Sept. 27. Other locations on Pleasure Island, including Raglan Road, Fuego by Sosa Cigars, Curl by Sammy Duval, Orlando Harley-Davidson and outdoor food and beverage locations, will remain open during the transition.

To complement these new experiences, many popular Downtown Disney locations will undergo enhancements.

· Beginning this summer, Portobello Yacht Club will be transformed into a Tuscan Country Trattoria. The refreshed menu features authentic Italian dishes and signature favorites and a re-designed interior along with an outdoor dining space.

· This fall, Goofy's Candy Company will add a special new room that will enable families to host one-of-a-kind birthday parties at Downtown Disney.

· The Marketplace Stage will be completely replaced with a larger, covered stage this fall to welcome even more entertainment to Downtown Disney and serve as a new premier venue for Disney Magic Music Days.

· Fulton's Crab House will update its interior fixtures and furnishing and exterior in Spring 2009. The enhancements include a refreshed third floor deck dining area to offer additional Disney guests and larger private parties the traditional Fulton's experience.

· Next year, Wolfgang Puck Café will update its interior fixtures and furnishings and will feature an enclosed glass patio offering guests a year-round outdoor dining experience.

These efforts come on the heels of recent enhancements at World of Disney, Wolfgang Puck Express, Ghirardelli Soda Fountain and Chocolate Shop, Earl of Sandwich and Cap'n Jack's Restaurant.

All I can say is.......good!

All I can say is . . . bad!

Actually, that's not all. I'm very saddened by the fact that Disney is abandoning such a uniquely "Disney" experience as The Adventurers Club in favor of "more shopping and dining". In a resort the size of WDW there ought to be space for both non-park based entertainment and shopping/dining.

I can't imagine that the Marketplace Stage is really considered entertainment comparable to that offered at the Comedy Warehouse and Adventurers Club. While I look forward to possibly seeing my son perform there during Magic Music Days, I've never seen a group there that most people would really plan a trip to see - except for their own families, of course.

I can shop or see movies in many other places. What I want when I go to WDW is something I can't experience anywhere else. The Adventurers Club is a perfect example of that.

Best bar and club I have ever visited and that was with DD who wasn't even 21 at the time.

Good Luck Adventurers.

That's okay with me. I never go to the nightclubs. I think it's more for the college age party kids. When I go to Disney, I go to have a magical Disney time (not a drunken party time). I can go to a bar or club in my home town if I want (which I don't).

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. Leave the Adventures Club and the Comedy Club. Everything else, kaput. These two clubs were really the only things we actually enjoyed.
All I can say is . . . bad!

Actually, that's not all. I'm very saddened by the fact that Disney is abandoning such a uniquely "Disney" experience as The Adventurers Club in favor of "more shopping and dining". In a resort the size of WDW there ought to be space for both non-park based entertainment and shopping/dining.

I can't imagine that the Marketplace Stage is really considered entertainment comparable to that offered at the Comedy Warehouse and Adventurers Club. While I look forward to possibly seeing my son perform there during Magic Music Days, I've never seen a group there that most people would really plan a trip to see - except for their own families, of course.

I can shop or see movies in many other places. What I want when I go to WDW is something I can't experience anywhere else. The Adventurers Club is a perfect example of that.

That's okay with me. I never go to the nightclubs. I think it's more for the college age party kids. When I go to Disney, I go to have a magical Disney time (not a drunken party time). I can go to a bar or club in my home town if I want (which I don't).

I think that's the reason that the Adventurers Club is closing. Not you specifically, of course, but that fact that so many people think that's what the Adventurers Club is and so they never go to it!

I am a teacher and mom, I don't dance and hate going to bars and nightclubs. But The Adventurers Club is my favorite place at Disney World. It has a bar, true, but it is not like any other bar anywhere.

The 6 Club Members along with the Club Butler and the French Maid are played by some of the best actors not only on Disney property but in the entire Orlando area. The Club guests are all made honorary members by the end of the night.

It is perpetually the night of New Years Eve 1937 in the Club. Throughout the evening, there are shows in the Library. A Radio Broadcast in which members of the audience are asked to fill in for the female lead and the sound effects guy, A Radiothon in which the Club members try to raise the money to keep the Club going for another year by singing and taking calls from people giving donations, The Balderdash Cup competition in which Club members compete to see who has the best Adventure story, a Maid sing-along, Samantha's Cabaret in which the Adventuress Samantha Sterling sings of her Adventures, and finally the Hoopla in which the Adventurers all celebrate together.

Plus there are smaller shows in the two side rooms, the Mask Room and the Treasure Room. And the Members also mingle with all the guests in the Main Salon between shows or during the shows they aren't in.

Add in Puppets and Animatronics and tons of relics all over the Club and it adds up to an experience that you can't get anywhere else.

I personally am not sorry about the dance clubs closing because I never go to them, though I know others are upset about it. I don't enjoy the Comedy Warehouse as much as the Club but I know it also has a loyal following. The closing of the Adventurers Club is a monumental mistake in my opinion, though. It is the most uniquely "Disney" style entertainment anywhere outside of a Disney park. It will be a sad day when the doors close for good, but most people won't even realize what a treasure they are losing!

:sad1: i loved the comedy club im arriving in orlando for a cruise on sept 27 i hope i can go 1 more time just want disney needs more shopping area:sad2:

People often ask on various threads what are WDW "must do's".
AC and CW were on that list.

I'm a little disapointed, even though we never went to the clubs, DW and I enjoyed sitting at the bars outside the clubs watching people, and having a few drinks. Guess we'll be spending a lot of time at jellyrolls in Oct.

Planned on trying the adventurers club this fall but guess can't do that now.

~~Scurvy~~

Yeah, I'm all for places like the Adventurer's Club staying open. I like those creative type places where you can get a drink or maybe a low key nice piano type bar. I just don't like the loud rowdy meat-market type clubs. The Adventurers Club sounds great though. I didn't know it was like that.

Well, I can't be in all places at all times but here's how a few of the dance clubs looked last night as I visited:

8TRAX: Dance floor very full but there was capacity in the standing areas.

MOTION: Packed.

MANNEQUINS: Packed.

Didn't make it further west.
Pleasure Island is profitable!

BobK/Orlando

Someone on another group posted that the AC was very crowded on the 4th and that Kevin Lansberry was there . . . he's the VP of DTD who is believed to be behind the decision to close PI.

I can report on the comedy clubs side. :rotfl2:
First show of CW was fuller than usual for the first show. Not 100% with starting to double layer I do not think.
Second show full + double layering on seating. (Also the other two shows we saw lined up for CW it looked as if there were so many not everyone could enter for that show. They were wrapped around and lined almost past the outside bar area.)
AC very full. The one show we walked in on had run out of library seating room.
The following show had some seats available.
But in both cases the upstairs and lobby area had a lot of guests.
Saw lots more photo snapping and video taping these last two nights than usual. Friday there was a couple even getting autographs from the CW staff.
Seeing a lot more AC buttons and t-shirts too.

Also noticed for the first time two security at the bridge stopping some from entering. Assuming who they were stopping was under 18 without a guardian or parent. Don't know as we did not linger. But that's my guess.

Have to say many guests did not realize the clubs were closing and were just finding out. Seemed to be on many people's minds last night as often we saw/heard people discussing.

PI was very crowded the 4th. AC somewhat. (The usual I would call it. Although it was busy.) Management was all over PI. Assuming because of the crowds. Normally we see management occasionally. But saw management a lot Friday night, just observing. That was not the norm. (Didn't read anyone's name badge.)
Parking was nearly impossible Friday night. Would be interesting how crowded the area would have been if guests could have parked.
The boats were not running either due to the fireworks set up.

OK, so far, so good. I like what I'm seeing. Hey, it's new stuff!

Found some artists rendering of what's coming to DTD..

Thanks for the link!

The shirt shop looks like it could be interesting. The restaurant might also be a nice addition and the facelifts for the existing places could also be good.

The restaurant has been rumored to be replacing the now closed Rock and Roll Beach Club, and I would think the the shirt shop could replace the already closed shops or fit elsewhere. Since the balloon won't even be in Pleasure Island but will be in the West End by the grassy area, I still don't see why they would need to close all the remaining Clubs for these new places.

I still think a mix of shopping, dining and entertainment would be a larger draw than just shopping and dining. The entertainment and attractions are the things that make DTD and PI different than any other outdoor shopping center, and I hate that they're moving away from that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter