Pleasure Island - all six clubs closing.

its sad when you work at WDW and hear news here...

That being said, it would totally kill so many people, not to mention the hard work of imagineers, to close the AC. Rarely have I been there that everyone in the building could get into the hoopla. The place had to make some money, let alone provide entertainment for CMs, ridiculous.

The smart thing to do is either expand the club in its current location (down the whole side of the street) and make it a dinner experience and an after hours (9pm on) bar with the same kind of activities as the current AC has. OR they need to move it to the new resort (has that news broke here yet?) or another location.... the loss of the AC would be terrible.

actually instead of writing more... I am going to go there right now, and drink to an old friend.

"The place had to make some money..."

Profit has nothing to do with this.

It's is a change in Disney's strategic policy that goes back a few years. The current economic problems and the mess that Disney has made for itself are only accelerating the situation.

To put it simply, Disney doesn't want to run theme parks. "Run" as in the daily operation and management of the parks, hotels, restaurants, shops, etc. that we associate with Walt Disney World.

Today's Disney wants to be a landlord. They want to license out the "Disney" brand and have others worry about how to pay employees, hedge against food costs and fret over inventory levels. And Disney wants someone else to invest the millions and millions it takes every year to buy new furniture and to re-theme facilities once they've gone stale. It's a much faster return on capital to throw it into making Underdog 2 than it is investing in a new ride. Executive pay packages demand that they strip mine the company now; no one cares what happens in five years.

For the Disney suits in Burbank, the whole business is so much simpler if they just sit back and rake in their cut of what someone else does. Most of the dining in Epcot has been that way from the beginning and no one has cared. That's how Tokyo Disneyland works and Disney has made billions. Of course that's also how Paris and Hong Kong operate, but no one mentions those places in polite lunch room conversation. And of course there's consumer products where Disney has found schmucks, er, I mean other businesses that are willing to pay huge amounts of money to slap Mickey Mouse on pre-packaged apple slices and the Incredibles on hot dog buns.

Pure cash without any effort, from Disney's point of view. What happened to Pleasure Island is just the start.

We will be there at the AC for it's final farewell. I would love to gather some DIS'er to join us. If you are interested, just click the imagine in my signature. We would love to see you there!

Great point Another Voice. It really seems as though the only club that will be missed is AC... ?

As usually, AV makes a lot of sense when speaking of current Disney climate. It is just hard to see the company dismantled so much with the outsourcing. From the original sponsorship of rides to the building and contracting rights of a ride... Disney has been falling apart. What I don't see is why they bothered to rip out PI when they have the new shopping and hotel area going in on the western side of property.

Then again, this really just goes along with what ever idiotic Disney exec is selling portions of Disney land that is smack dab in the middle of property... I suppose the save of 1984 just staved off the inevitable. Today, all companies are broken and sold. I predict 2017 as the year Disney is slashed into many tiny units by the company controllers.

On a lighter note, the Kungaloosh tonight was excellent, the cast was so-so (how many do you think called in or were swept up by higher paying Universal wages?) In fact, I have never seen AC cast forget routine lines - until tonight.

I saw no less than 15 different video cameras going tonight, most of which you could tell were cast. Everyone knows its coming to an end, you could hear unaware guests asking "why are there so many people here that know every word?" Sad really, but I plan to go back a couple more times before I leave WDW in August - It is where I bonded with my soon to be wife when we first came to our favorite place... it has been my birthday hangout for three years now... it has been the place I take visitors their first night every time...

On a final note, although there is a lot of hoopla about the final sept 27 show... I don't think it will be all that great for 3 reasons... 1) I bet most of the cast will have moved on by then. 2) have fun waiting at 11:00am for a spot to get in to the club when doors open in the still miserable September heat. and 3) You won't get to see more than one show because there will be so many people in there.

If Disney was smart they would franchise the sucker and stick it in HI, DC, Hilton Head, vero beach, and in a couple major cities where there are no mini resorts going up. (You can use that idea for free Disney, although since I signed something saying that you own every idea I have while working there, I guess you can do whatever you want.)

Great point Another Voice. It really seems as though the only club that will be missed is AC... ?

Mostly because the Beach Club is already gone, literally, and the other clubs are shadows of what they once were. But for the record, I'll miss 8-Traxx, one of the few dance clubs in Orlando a 30 or 40-something could visit and not feel out of place. And, of course, wishing the best for the bartenders and door hosts all over PI (some of whom have been there the full 19 years), as well as the cast of CW.

And really, AC is on a par with Haunted Mansion, in terms of the most "Disney" attractions on property.

Having avoided PI since it opened (except one visit to the Comedy Club the first year and once when we walked in the Adventurers Club and walked right back out) can't say I'm shedding any tears over this.
Reading the article, it suggests that all this is being done because "guests" want more things geared toward family entertainment and less geared toward partying and dancing.
Or are they just making that up??

From cfnews13:
LAKE BUENA VISTA -- Walt Disney World is closing the six nightclubs at Pleasure Island as it attempts to redevelop the adult district.

Several nightclubs that cater largely to young, single adults will close after Sept. 27, including the following:

Adventurers Club
BET SoundStage Club
Comedy Warehouse
8 Trax
Mannequins Dance Palace
Motion
Pleasure Island was launched 19 years ago, and is largely blamed for the downfall of Orlando's downtown nightlife in the 1990s.

Disney said they're responding to their customers who said they want more broad-based dining and retail opportunities throughout the 120-acre district.

The company also said it's adding a new attraction -- a giant, tethered balloon attraction -- as well as new and renovated restaurants.

Still very sad times indeed. :headache:
Guess I can look at the money I will be saving on extra admission perks into PI, not to mention the money we will save by not going to DTD except rarely. Unless they come up with some other perk to replace the PI admission on a PAP. (And I am not hold my breathe on that.)
It would take an awful lot to replace CW and AC and put in a more positive spin. Yes, I could see an AC restaurant theme. But just wouldn't be the same and could get old fast. AC could easily end up being just a shell of it's former self.
Agree with another poster. I imagine the CW and AC CMs there will soon move on. That's happens at most places where employees know the business is closing. Why be around to be the last one to turn out the lights?
:sick:

"a giant, tethered balloon attractio"
Like the ones people can ride on 192? Not to say it would not be nice. But what is the real novelty?

Well, it will save me on PAP's since the golf replacement is not something we would use. I guess I can get a regular AP x4 and just purchase the discounted water park admission once or twice if we want to go. Seems bizarre about the AC though we have never been when any of the rooms could accomadate all the patrons, a shame that there isn't at least one place where I can't buy an overpriced trinket with a mouse slapped on it for effect. We also dont' go to WDW to eat at chain restaurants and to shop beyond what we see already. I don't see how any of this will add to the quality of my WDW vacation--maybe the vacations of those who don't go often, but not mine.

Agree patsal. if the compensation is golf, I no longer see a point for a PAP for our usage either. We have sometime for a wait and see.
DH goes to the water parks occasionally. But doubtful enough to compensate for a PAP any longer. PI and the water parks made it worth it.

"The place had to make some money..."

Profit has nothing to do with this.

It's is a change in Disney's strategic policy that goes back a few years. The current economic problems and the mess that Disney has made for itself are only accelerating the situation.

To put it simply, Disney doesn't want to run theme parks. "Run" as in the daily operation and management of the parks, hotels, restaurants, shops, etc. that we associate with Walt Disney World.

Today's Disney wants to be a landlord. They want to license out the "Disney" brand and have others worry about how to pay employees, hedge against food costs and fret over inventory levels. And Disney wants someone else to invest the millions and millions it takes every year to buy new furniture and to re-theme facilities once they've gone stale. It's a much faster return on capital to throw it into making Underdog 2 than it is investing in a new ride. Executive pay packages demand that they strip mine the company now; no one cares what happens in five years.

For the Disney suits in Burbank, the whole business is so much simpler if they just sit back and rake in their cut of what someone else does. Most of the dining in Epcot has been that way from the beginning and no one has cared. That's how Tokyo Disneyland works and Disney has made billions. Of course that's also how Paris and Hong Kong operate, but no one mentions those places in polite lunch room conversation. And of course there's consumer products where Disney has found schmucks, er, I mean other businesses that are willing to pay huge amounts of money to slap Mickey Mouse on pre-packaged apple slices and the Incredibles on hot dog buns.

Pure cash without any effort, from Disney's point of view. What happened to Pleasure Island is just the start.

QFT! (Quote for truth!) They are cutting corners like it's 9/11 all over again and it's only going to get worse. I wish the shareholders would actually care and get every darn executive overthrown and get some people in who CARE about the company.

Roy Disney for president(of Disney) 2008
"Because I actually care about Walt's vision"

Most of the shed tears on here seem to be for AC; I guess I'd better go visit it at least once before it closes down to see what I've been missing.

There are a few of us that are shedding tears for 8TRAX and Mannequins. Every patron I spoke to last night out there had heard the news and they were in shock and disbelief. We've come up with the idea that if 100 people are willing to risk a $1000 investment then we'd have $100,000 in cash and could probably buy the revolving dance floor and the hanging mannequins and banners. We could then move it into an empty space somewhere and reopen the place. 8TRAX would be easy (and cheap) to recreate as well. :idea:

Let me know if you're interested. I've got 2 so far.....only need 98 more!

BobK/Orlando

Wow. How sad this announcement makes me. I guess it is just the slam-dunk-you're-done feel of it that stings.

I will miss PI greatly. For those who never had the chance to experience it in its hay-day, you did miss out. Starting your night at the comedy club (yep, once I sat by that dern phone and if didn't ring...) and then on to the AC, 8trax, Mannies, then waiting for the countdown at the West End Stage, enjoying the midnight fireworks and confetti... I have celebrated many a "real" NYE there, as well. (SIGH)

Thanks, PI, for great memories. I will treasure them always.

Finally took my 21yo DD and 23 yo DS to AC a couple of weeks ago. They loved it! What a shame they won't be able to go back.

I loved going and was so sad when they raised the age limit to 21+ for all of the clubs. I was planning on going for my 21st birthday in November but now I cant. I makes me sad to think that I will never be able to go back.

Having avoided PI since it opened (except one visit to the Comedy Club the first year and once when we walked in the Adventurers Club and walked right back out) can't say I'm shedding any tears over this.
Reading the article, it suggests that all this is being done because "guests" want more things geared toward family entertainment and less geared toward partying and dancing.

They aren't making it up. But they aren't asking the people who have children who are older. I have been taking my son to Disney since he was 6, and, for you too, there will come a time when featues like Disney Quest, will be more appealing.

Not only that, but the Comedy Warehouse and The Adventurers Club are BOTH fantastic for kids between 14-17. I planned on continuing my magincal memories with my now TEEN son at DTD and PI. The Comedy Warehouse improv club is a fantastic must see for that age group. They love it. Likewise, the ADventurers Club is something parents and TWEENS/TEENS can do with together in the evening away from all the 3,4, and 5 year olds!

Disney is for teens and grown ups too! That'w WHY I bought into SSR. I thought they recognized that my son was growing up and that these venues appealed to a certain segment. Add in Disney Quest, the magic store, and Virgin Records, and my son was in 7th heaven.

And so was I with him...and heading back to our home away from home at SSR in the evening. If these venues close, I am going to seriously consider selling. Being at SSR will be depressing. Comedy Warehouse and Adventurers Club were where we were at night.

Is there a crying icon?:sick:

Not quite. The Comedy Warehouse has quite a few regulars as well. Not as many as AC I'm sure, but still... They're the only good improv troupe around. SAK is pitiful.

This rationalization brought to you by the folks who brought you "Guests want Character Caravan instead of Early Entry."

I thought I would e-mail the new Garden Theatre in Winter Garden.
Wouldn't that be great if the CW entertainers could relo over there? Would be nice to give it a try at least once a month and see if patrons would pay for it. I would.
But maybe those CMs would rather move onto something else. :confused3
If they move onto a different location. I would follow.

Most of the shed tears on here seem to be for AC; I guess I'd better go visit it at least once before it closes down to see what I've been missing.

There are a few of us that are shedding tears for 8TRAX and Mannequins. Every patron I spoke to last night out there had heard the news and they were in shock and disbelief. We've come up with the idea that if 100 people are willing to risk a $1000 investment then we'd have $100,000 in cash and could probably buy the revolving dance floor and the hanging mannequins and banners. We could then move it into an empty space somewhere and reopen the place. 8TRAX would be easy (and cheap) to recreate as well. :idea:

Let me know if you're interested. I've got 2 so far.....only need 98 more!

BobK/Orlando

I own a business called Extra Income Online LLC which focuses on passive income. I'm working on getting everything on my website, but in the meantime count me in. I yield anywhere from 94% to 160% ROI over 60 days and if it continues the way I hope and plan, my goal is to take the money and open a new mannequins and 8-trax in Orlando. Perhaps Universal would be interested in my services and if not, there is always downtown

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter