• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please tell me it is possible to...

Happy Mom2

DIS Veteran
shave 12 minutes off my time in 10 months. You see, my dream is to run/walk the 2013 Princess Half Marathon. I don't care if I have to walk more than run, but I want to cross that finish line. I am 100 pounds overweight. I've never been very athletic, but this is something I really want to do. I've joined myfitnesspal, am logging all my food, watching what I eat, and joined a local 24 hour gym. I haven't regularly exercised in 20 years, but I started on Monday, and I'm walking 30 - 45 minutes, and doing some strength training also. I plan on going 6 days a week, maybe 7.

Anyway, right now I'm walking 2.5 MPH on the treadmill, and I increase it to 3.0 MPH during commercials. Is it even possible for me to go from a 24 minute mile to a 14 minute mile in 10 months?

Any advice? Anyone accomplished this before? I just want to do this for me. I want to prove to myself I can do it.

TIA. :goodvibes

Yes, of course it is possible! With hard work and dedication, almost anything is.

Do you have something to guide you? I highly recommend John "The Penguin" Bingham's book Marathoning for Mortals to give you a bit of guidance in your journey. When I ran my first half and then my first marathon, that book rivaled the Bible for me! I was so close to that book that I was sad to leave it behind when I got on the airplane because I just didn't have room for it... and my boyfriend surprised me and brought it along!

As you lose weight, you will find it easier to go faster. It's great that you're starting so far in advance, and I can't wait to hear that your hard work is paying off for you! It's exciting to track your mileage in some sort of a chart or graph if you are able.

Please check in regularly... You've inspired me to go get my WISH on today!

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the COURAGE TO START." -John "The Penguin" Bingham

:cheer2:Ashley

It really is possible: since August, I've lost 75 lbs and I can now do a 12-13 minute mile *walking* where I flat-out couldn't walk a mile in August.

What works for me is Weight Watchers and daily walking (or at least 5 days a week!). Also a book called the Beck diet plan (or something like that) helped me understand the ways in which my thinking was off.

Keep moving forward! Literally. :-)

I started in Dec 2009 I was just a bit over 200 pounds. I could not even walk a mile with feeling like I was going to die.
(before Dh and kids I use to workout)
In April 2010 I went out for a run/walk. I wanted to try for 4 miles.
I could not do it I had to get my DH to pick me up.
2 weeks later I finished a 4 mile race.. I was DEAD last. I cried, then I came home and ordered a wish shirt.
In Feb 2011 I finished the princess half. (walk/run)
in Feb 2012 I finished the princess half 32 mins FASTER than the year before.
I am down about 35 pounds. (depends on the day)

DON"T GIVE UP.. YOU CAN DO THIS

Thank you all so much! I know I have a long journey ahead of me, but I'm ready for it. Got my W.I.S.H. on already this morning! :woohoo:

Yes, of course it is possible! With hard work and dedication, almost anything is.

Do you have something to guide you? I highly recommend John "The Penguin" Bingham's book Marathoning for Mortals to give you a bit of guidance in your journey. When I ran my first half and then my first marathon, that book rivaled the Bible for me! I was so close to that book that I was sad to leave it behind when I got on the airplane because I just didn't have room for it... and my boyfriend surprised me and brought it along!

As you lose weight, you will find it easier to go faster. It's great that you're starting so far in advance, and I can't wait to hear that your hard work is paying off for you! It's exciting to track your mileage in some sort of a chart or graph if you are able.

Please check in regularly... You've inspired me to go get my WISH on today!

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the COURAGE TO START." -John "The Penguin" Bingham

:cheer2:Ashley

I've actually been reading Bingham's books. I love that quote. I plan to follow his half marathon training plan, and already have the day I need to start it on my calendar. My plan between now and then is to condition my body and get it ready for the training by walking and strength training. Today is day 6 and the scale is already moving in the right direction. :yay:

I'm tracking my exercise on myfitnesspal, but a graph or chart might add a little more fun to it! Thanks for the suggestion! :thumbsup2

It really is possible: since August, I've lost 75 lbs and I can now do a 12-13 minute mile *walking* where I flat-out couldn't walk a mile in August.

What works for me is Weight Watchers and daily walking (or at least 5 days a week!). Also a book called the Beck diet plan (or something like that) helped me understand the ways in which my thinking was off.

Keep moving forward! Literally. :-)

WOW! That's inspiring! I'm using the myfitnesspal website and app, and so far I really like it. I haven't heard of the Beck diet - I'll have to google it and see what it's about.

I started in Dec 2009 I was just a bit over 200 pounds. I could not even walk a mile with feeling like I was going to die.
(before Dh and kids I use to workout)
In April 2010 I went out for a run/walk. I wanted to try for 4 miles.
I could not do it I had to get my DH to pick me up.
2 weeks later I finished a 4 mile race.. I was DEAD last. I cried, then I came home and ordered a wish shirt.
In Feb 2011 I finished the princess half. (walk/run)
in Feb 2012 I finished the princess half 32 mins FASTER than the year before.
I am down about 35 pounds. (depends on the day)

DON"T GIVE UP.. YOU CAN DO THIS

WOW! You've come a long way! Congratulations on your Princess Halves!!! Thanks so much for the encouragement.

Where can I get a WISH shirt? I bought a WISH bondi band a little while back, but I'd love a shirt!

Well just by losing weight, you'll gain 2 seconds per mile per lb you'll lose (or so says runner's world.) So I think as you lose weight, and as you get stronger, you'll see your pace drop!

You can definitely do it! What helped me out a lot was a "couch to 5k" program. The one I used was called Get Running. I think it was like $2, but well worth it in my opinion. You can also check out Jeff Galloway's training programs on the RunDisney website. There isn't one for the Princess just yet, but you can check out the other ones. Good luck! :cheer2:

I've actually been reading Bingham's books. I love that quote. I plan to follow his half marathon training plan, and already have the day I need to start it on my calendar. My plan between now and then is to condition my body and get it ready for the training by walking and strength training. Today is day 6 and the scale is already moving in the right direction. :yay:

This is a great way to approach it. Technically the training for my races in January won't start until either the end of July or beginning of August, but until then I'm going to do a training program for shorter distances.

In the past this approach has helped me with a few things. The best (IMO) is that by the time you're 'supposed' to start your training program, you're already used to running a few days in a row so your body will handle the schedule a bit better. Other perks are that I've found it easier to bump up the mileage when I get my body used to the schedule, and by scheduling training now, I don't feel bad about taking a week off (planned) if I know I'll be traveling since I can still get that training week in.

Another little thing to remember is something I think others have mentioned-- you will find great and amazing improvements as the weight comes off. When I ran my first marathon, I was 210 lbs and fit. I'm now around 245 and not so fit. But I'm getting there and getting back to distance again. The difference between what my body does now than what it did when I wasn't as heavy is amazing. My pace at this weight is around a 13 minute mile depending on the day-- but four minutes per mile slower than when I was fit. Plus the jiggling, which I can't stand, but I just look at those bouncing love handles and belly rolls as them trying to shake their way off my body. I hope they go soon. But all joking aside, if you can endure this, the rewards will be amazing. You'll learn so much about what you can do and how strong you are. It's an amazing journey.

Something else to keep in mind-- you will lose weight by training for distance, but don't be a slave to the scale because you'll see it in fitness and inches. Training for my first full, I was almost devastated when I didn't lose many pounds. However, three months in, I had to buy new shorts and pants because mine wouldn't stay on my body. But at the time, it was hard to see the forest through the trees because I think I only lost around 10 lbs. And the best part? I could barely run a mile when I started and at that three month mark, I was able to run ten. Slowly, but without stopping.

So you go! You can totally do it! :cheer2:

DH and I started training in Feb for the Expedition Everest Challenge next month. I have never run a day in my life, and I'm about 75 pounds overweight. I can handle a day at Disney, but man my feet and legs hurt at the end.

We started by investing in some good running shoes. Yes, they will be a bit more expensive, but VERY well worth it. We went to a special running shoe store that is nearby, and they took the time to really analyze our feet before making recommendations. When I was having ankle issues, they even took time to watch me run and make recommendations about my posture to help me.

We both started off with the C25K program, and I purchased the app on my phone. At first, it was great! I could definitely handle the first few weeks, but when it got to where I was going to have to run for 3 minutes straight, I had to change programs. DH is still doing C25K, and it's working great for him. But he is in MUCH better shape than I am, and he used to run. That kind of thing comes a lot easier for him than it does for me.

When the C25K got to be too much for me, I switched to Jeff Galloway's program. I purchased another app called Easy 5K with Jeff Galloway. This app will allow you to upload music from your iPod and it will speed up/slow down songs to help you keep a certain cadence. This kind of thing definitely helps me to stay on pace. I was in marching band for 6 years, so it comes natural for me to want to walk to a beat.

JG's program has you set the pace you want to keep. Mine is set at 15 minutes/mile. He has you alternate between running and walking in 1 minute intervals, but I tend to run out of breath very easily and can sometimes end up doing 1:15 walk/:45 run or even a 1:30 walk/:30 run.

When I run that app, I'm also run at least one other app in the background to keep my pace for me. I have Nike + GPS and iRunSmooth. I use the Nike app all the time, because it works well both indoors and out. iRunSmooth only really works outdoors (I'm still trying to figure that one out). When I'm outside, both of those apps are very close in their numbers, so I trust the Nike app when I'm on the treadmill.

My first walk was on 2/25 (when we got our shoes), and all we did was walk the neighborhood. My time was 20"26"/mile. My first C25K day on the treadmill was on 2/29, and my time was 20'49"/mile (even worse than just walking!). My last day on the treadmill was 4/12 with JG, and my pace was 15'33"/mile. I was just given the green light by my allergist to train outside again (bad asthma and SEVERE allergies), and my pace on the track yesterday was 14"27"/mile, and I did 3.43 miles!! Yes, I was exhausted, but because I did so well, I am pumped up to do it again!

So, if I can shave 6 minutes off my time in just 6 weeks, I'm sure you can shave 10 minutes off your time in 10 months. Another big benefit that I've had is that my primary care doc has taken me off one of my blood pressure medications. I was on two every day (Diovan and a water pill), and now I'm just taking the water pill. I have a follow up appointment when we get back from EEC.

I would highly suggest the Jeff Galloway plan. His goal is for you to run injury free, and so far, I haven't had any injuries at all. DH wants us to do ToT and W&D at the end of this year, and I'll be ready for them!!

I absolutely believe you can do it (and I'm hoping I can do it too!!). I'm in the same boat you are, about 100lbs overweight. I am currently averaging about 20 minutes/mile walking, no running. Last year I did Galloway's program (which I highly recommend when you are ready to add in running) but I pushed myself too hard too soon and ended up messing up my knees...was an expensive lesson as we'd already registered and paid for the Disney 1/2 in January, and I couldn't even walk 3 miles at that point due to the knee issue. (injured the knees in September, I'd gotten up to 8 miles :sick: I was very sad).

My doctor basically has told me NO running at all at my current weight with my knees...I think he's being overly conservative but I'm going to build running back in MUCH more slowly this year than I did before. So for right now, I'm focusing on walking, trying to build back up to 5 days a week (am about 3 right now), 3 miles most days with 4 - 5 miles on a "long" day on the weekend.

So far that is going well, I haven't seen much improvement in my speed yet, but I think that will come as my body adjusts again...Last year, I had gotten down to 16/17 minute miles pretty consistently (and even when I actually ran, I ran slower than most people walk!!) so I think the downward trend will happen. At least I hope so. I'm really hoping to add running back in by July or August, but like I said, I am going to be really cautious about it and try and have some weight off by then...the impact on the joints at this heavier weight is really tough. So for now...walking. Finding I HAVE to have music to help me push through and to push myself to walk faster, that's hard for me. My body would MUCH rather stop and lay on the couch, haha. I've found that I wuss out on the treadmill, i pretty much have to go outside and walk 1.5 miles out so that I have no choice but to walk 1.5 miles back in. Otherwise I talk myself into quitting early. I've found it very very challenging to get going again; I was so motivated last year, but when my "start back up" date came in January, I just let it blow right by....Wasn't until late March that I really started to try again.

SO you are not alone, you can definitely do it!!! Just think, two minutes (or more) will shave off naturally as you lose weight over the next couple of months. More will shave off as your muscles adapt and strengthen and your feet get used to the movement...YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!

Take care and BE CAREFUL out there!!

Brooke

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter