Please tell me if I book standard at AKL it will be ok!

lissiesmum

DIS Veteran
We are thinking of adding on three days at the end of our POR trip but really can't afford the extra for Savannah view. Is it still worth staying there if you have a standard view? Are there still plenty of places to view the animals? Does anyone have any pics of their views? Are there some views better than others that you could recommend? Are there plenty of things to do around the resort if you're hanging around? Thanks :)

They have plenty of places inside and outside where you are able to see the animals. We would definately recommend staying there even if you aren't able to get a savannah view.

In my honest opinion AKL is awesome no matter what view you have. We stayed standard view a couple of years ago and it wasn't all that bad. There are so many places to see the animals. The resort itself is absolutely wonderful. Our rooms were on the third floor (lobby level) and the standards were all in the front of the lodge facing the parking lot then. I'm not sure if they have changed that. Seems to me that some of the so called pool view rooms that looked out over a roof should have been standard view but that's just my opinion. We were in Giraffe Trail by the handicap parking and we couldn't even see the cars because the trees were so thick. That made it nice. I would think the other side where the bus stops are could get a bit noisey but it was extremely quiet where we were. I think you will love AKL. We cannot wait to go back. It is far from everything but that just adds to its authentic charm. We found the bus service great when we were there and the pool area is gorgeous. The restaurants were very nice too. Loved the breakfast buffet at Boma. I say book it. You may get some pixiedust and be upgraded. You never know. Have fun!

You may get some pixiedust and be upgraded. You never know

I can always dream, right? :) I appreciate your posts! That is exactly what I wanted to hear. We will probably spend two days around the resort and I was really worried about not having a view, but I will cross my fingers for good weather and I look forward to that gorgeous pool!

When we went 2 yrs. ago I had a standard room booked. When
we were checking in the CM said you have been upgraded to a Savannah
room. We were so excited!:banana: It was a beautiful room. Great view
and the animals were amazing!!!:thumbsup2

When we went 2 yrs. ago I had a standard room booked. When
we were checking in the CM said you have been upgraded to a Savannah
room. We were so excited!:banana: It was a beautiful room. Great view
and the animals were amazing!!!:thumbsup2

You are sooooo lucky Tinkertot! What a nice surprise :) Can I ask what time of year and what time of day did you check in? (Maybe some of that luck will rub off my way :)

For us, the savanna view is what makes the resort so incredible - that said, I'd stay there in the broom closet just to be at the AKL! There are tons of public animal viewing areas. I think whatever room category you get here that you'll have an amazing time. :thumbsup2

It is worth it to book at the AKL. I have stayed there in a standard room twice and each time I loved it..the only thing better would have been to be upgraded to club level..:lmao:

We are booked at AKL in a standard view in December. We just want to be in the resort, will be happy with whatever room we get. My son actually wants to be there by the lobby, go figure!

We've booked a standard view at AKL several times and every time but once it was fine. Whatever you do don't let them put you in a room on the lowest floor of the Giraffe Trail. These rooms are separated by a low "mud" wall from the walkway to the busses. If you were to sit on your "balcony" you're only inches away from a constant stream of people from 7:00 am till past midnight. You also have to always keep the curtains drawn for privacy. This makes the room extremely dark. We took one look, headed back to the desk and paid $10 extra a night for a pool view. Our other standard room views have been of the parking lot. A few times we've been upgraded FOC to a pool view which was lovely.

Hope this helps!

Jennifer

Both times that we booked standard view (for a very very cheap AP rate) we were upgraded to savannah view. I LOVE this resort.

It's so nice to hear such good things about standard view at AKL. My family is already talking about AKL for spring '09 and we would probably go with standard view!
We are taking our first leap into a Deluxe with WL in March '08 and I figure they will never be willing to go back to moderate after that. So I assume it is AKL in spring '09!

We have stayed in a Standard Room at AKL, and it was just fine. Thankfully, it was not the room that jsmla described.

Quite honestly, I don't even recall the view that we had from our standard room. We have stayed in various Deluxe standard rooms several times, so our expectation of any sort of "view" was nil. As someone else mentioned, we just wanted to be in the AKL.

The trade-off for the lower room rate is that you likely will not have a good view from your room. However, there are quite a few viewing locations throughout the lodge. Of course, there are the well-publicized "public" viewing areas that you will see on the resort map. There are also large viewing windows in each of the hallways leading to the guest rooms. Also, if you go out to the very end of each of those hallways, you can step outside. The stairways are not enclosed in stair "wells". They are covered, but they are open to the outdoors. Those are good places to go. We had a lot of fun exploring the resort and were able to see a LOT of animals.

Okay, I am totally reassured now :) Plus, it's nice to know that if the room view is totally unacceptable, it's only and extra ten dollars a night to upgrade to pool view...And so many of you have gotten upgrades :) I'll cross fingers for some pixiedust, otherwise, at least I know we'll be okay regardless:banana:

We booked a standard and the yellow dot on the photo below marks the first room we were put in. I could not believe that there were rooms that close to the private car/taxi/magical express drop off area. The balcony had an enclosed 1/2 wall which made the room seem very dark and the fumes and sounds from the traffic and people outside was just too much. We were planning on spending quite a bit of time at the resort relaxing because I had just had surgery a few weeks prior and the thought of sitting one story above all of that traffic was just not appealing to me. The room was also an optional smoking room and I'm allergic so we went to the desk and asked to be moved to a room overlooking the parking lot. We were told they were all booked and were given a room at the back end of Kudu Trail. We were told that it had a slight savannah view, but that it sucked (in the words of the desk manager) so they downgraded it to standard view. If I were staying there again, I would definitely opt for a savannah view or at least request a room on Ostrich Trail which does overlook the parking lot.

The only disappointment in our being moved was that we had been directly above the restaurants and pool access area...our walk from the end of Kudu Trail to these places was a good 5 mins or so but we saw lots of animals and great artifacts that we might not otherwise have seen had we stayed in the room at the front of the hotel.

akl_entrance3.jpg

I have never stayed in a standard room. But we made a 1 night ressie prior to moving offsite for a timeshare. Checked in mid-afternoon. The CM upgraded us to CONCIERGE pool view, without my saying anything! Even if she hadn't, we were so impressed with the room interior and the facilities that I would stay there again if the choice were between that and a moderate.

I can always dream, right? :) I appreciate your posts! That is exactly what I wanted to hear. We will probably spend two days around the resort and I was really worried about not having a view, but I will cross my fingers for good weather and I look forward to that gorgeous pool!

We got a free upgrade when we booked a Standard Room, and we didn't ask for it or anything. They just offered it to us. I got the feeling that there's not that many Standard Rooms in the Resort, but I could be wrong.

We loved our pool view, but the AKL is so incredible that it was NOT needed.

The lobby is breathtaking and it is open to all the floors above. All you have to do is step outside your room and you can find dozens of quiet places to curl up on comfortable chairs and watch the animals. There is a lounge with a view, too.

The rooms are BEAUTIFUL. Lots of art work, beautiful furnishings. Everything about the lodge is AMAZING. We loved the smells and sights and sounds. We truly did not need to leave the Resort for the theme parks. We had such a wonderful stay. You will love the pool, too. And they have rocking chairs outdoors (nice big sturdy ones) for animal viewing and storytelling by a fire pit. Gosh! I want to go back!

A significant number of Savannah View rooms have been removed from inventory and are being converted to DVC units. I'd expect complimentary upgrades to be rarer.

I think AKL is a great place to stay! It is a little different, but that is what makes is wonderful.

While I wouldn't love a parking lot view, you'll risk that anywhere unless you pay for a view.

I'd sure stay there!

We are booked in a standard room the first week of December. What are the odds of an upgrade. Do they just surprise you or do you have to ask? I wouldn't mind paying $10 a night to upgrade to a savannah view! Heck, that's worth the money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter