• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please tell me I made a good choice!!!

wallawallakids

DIS Veteran
I have been reading so many negative reports on here about cruising. Not enough to do, bad food, awful service, too many crowds to enjoy the pool. Now I am getting nervous! What if we hate it and we are all stuck on the boat?!! :scared1: Please someone talk me off the ledge. It is our first cruise EVER! We have never been on a boat. We have never had any experience with cruising. Wish I hadn't read all these negative comments. It is just making me so nervous. :(

No worries, you'll have a fantastic time. Remember, people have an inclination to complain but rarely post about the good stuff. There is plenty to do, we loved the food, use the pool early in the day or stay onboard during a port stop for low crowds. I'm sure each member of your family with find SOMETHING that they really enjoy and makes it a special vacation.

Relax, stop reading the negative posts, and enjoy your cruise!

Walk away from the disboards and get ready to enjoy your great vacation! Get a guidebook or look at materials (pictures, DCL videos) if you need more to do other than get ready for your great time! I can't imagine you chose this vacation due to some random opinions on the disboards and you aren't going to dislike it either! Sometimes too much microplanning is a dangerous thing! :goodvibes:thumbsup2

Walk away from the disboards and get ready to enjoy your great vacation! Get a guidebook or look at materials (pictures, DCL videos) if you need more to do other than get ready for your great time! I can't imagine you chose this vacation due to some random opinions on the disboards and you aren't going to dislike it either! Sometimes too much microplanning is a dangerous thing! :goodvibes:thumbsup2

Thanks. I probably just need to stop reading on the DIS! I was so excited, which is why I started to look on here but over the last few weeks there seemed to be a lot of negative TR and I guess that has made me rethink! I will try to calm down and remember, it is a vacation. How can a vacation not be fun? Thanks.

I have been reading so many negative reports on here about cruising. Not enough to do, bad food, awful service, too many crowds to enjoy the pool. Now I am getting nervous! What if we hate it and we are all stuck on the boat?!! :scared1: Please someone talk me off the ledge. It is our first cruise EVER! We have never been on a boat. We have never had any experience with cruising. Wish I hadn't read all these negative comments. It is just making me so nervous. :(

We just experienced our first cruise ever a little less than a month ago. I have boys ages 9 and 12 and I had many of your same concerns. We had an excellent time and would do it over again in a heart beat. Even on the day at sea, I didn't feel that it was too crowded to enjoy things, and we had 3800+ on the ship -- practically sold out. Sure, maybe we had to wait 20 min in line for the Aquaduck, but the view was awesome and it wasn't that bad. My only wish was that our cruise was longer (we did a 4 day) and now am only looking at 5 day and longer cruises. We did not have enough time to do everything we wanted to do. Relax. You will have a marvelous time. Try not the set your expectations too high and just enjoy the moment. My biggest disappointment frankly was Castaway Cay and it wasn't that it was bad, I think I had just elevated it up in my mind to this utopia and in reality, it was just a nice beach. But then, if some circumstances with family had been different, I might have had a better time too.

Oh, and my biggest piece of advice for you is, if you are travelling with a group of people, bring white boards to put on the outside of your door so that you can communicate messages easily to people. Do this also for Castaway Cay. I hated the wave phones.

I hope you have a wonderful trip.

I've been in 6 cruises now and the most recent one was a GTYroom that we were assigned last minute (not that we pick our rooms per se). Room reviews were awful. It made me nervous. Room location ended up being great no problems! So come back when you can read and think to yourself "I totally agree!!!" Or "you are NUTS!!!!" :lmao:

You have made a great choice. I believe if you could poll all those complainers you would see that they have a common ground. They have all been on multiple Disney cruises. They have seen all the stage plays. They have eaten in all the restrauants. They have enjoyed all the amenities and now they are bored with the same ole thing. You however are taking your very first Disney Cruise and will find it amazing. DW and I have taken 2 previous cruises. 1 Non Disney then 1 on the Dream. We disliked the non Disney cruise but loved our cruise aboard the Dream. Now we are sailing on the Fantasy for 7 nights in less time than your upcoming trip and we are excited. Don't pay any attention at all to the negative posts. Don't even click on them and give them your time. Stay excited for your trip because believe me it goes by every bit as fast as a day a WDW and before you can blink twice you will be back to Port Canaveral disembarking.

I dragged my DH on the Dream 3 night in NOV 2011, complaining all the way that he wanted to be on the parks at WDW and he would be bored on a cruise. Guess what? I was right and he was wrong. He really enjoyed himself and had a good time, so much so we are heading back on the Dream in April this year.
It was a wonderful family vacation!

Have a great time on your cruise!

:thumbsup2
You will have a wonderful time- Kids call it their best vacation ever ( ages at the time were 7, 4, 2- and we have traveled a lot)-- we are going again in 3 wks and the countdown begun last year!!!!-- yes pools are a little crowded- but who cares- you are on the Mickey Boat!!! Characters all over the ship stop to chat w the kids in the hallway, elevators, etc-- much more intimate then at the parks.. my daughters chatted w/ Alice for about 10 mins on the steps last time!
My husband and I enjoyed as well as their grandma- so its a great time for all ages!!!-- look to get involved in a group meet for your sail day and try to take part in the FE exchange-- a highlight of our last cruise- and in the midst of making new ones for our upcoming one! You WILL enjoy!:banana:

We're about to take Disney cruise #15 Feb 9 on Fantasy. This will be our "complete the fleet" cruise, having been on every DCL ship.

I have learned that how good a time you have largely depends upon you and what your expectations are. There are some people who are bored no matter what stimulus is presented to them. We avoid those people, as a rule.

I read what others post sometimes on Disboards and just shake my head that with everything available on the Navigator (movies, talks, food prep clinics, live music, more movies, sunshine, an ocean, a pool, hot tubs, bars), they still can't find something to entertain themselves. What WOULD be entertaining to them? What WOULDN'T be "boring?"

I don't know about everyone else, but my normal life has to keep to a reasonably busy schedule, and when I get on a cruise ship, I love being able to choose to spend a day doing nothing more than moving from one horizontal surface (like my bed) to another (like a lounge chair.) I don't expect to be guided from one organized activity to another like an adult camper (my kids loved that option, though.) The folks who write they just can find anything to DO...well, I'd like to see what they do back home that is so much more stimulating! Or maybe they've just never learned to enjoy being alone with themselves and their thoughts.

DH and I love to stand at the front of the ship on sea days when we are rocking along at a good clip looking out over the ocean spreading before us and drink in great lungfuls of life. We feel so grateful and lucky that we are healthy and in a situation where our life has permitted us to spend a week on a cruise ship. We are NOT going to let meals at a less-than-ideal temperature, people's enormous strollers left out in the stateroom corridors so you can barely walk past them, or lines at the Aquaduck be anything more than a fleeting annoyance. This is our vacation, and I feel I am responsible for how much fun I have, not some less-than-attentive bartender or the person who overfills my water glass at dinner, or even the adults hogging all the loungers by the pool with their towels.

If you choose, you could easily identify plenty of things to feel offended and cheated by. If you are really looking for extraordinary food, a place that has to serve thousands of meals daily probably isn't the best spot for it. For the number of people that need to be served, I think Disney does a great job. We enjoy Palo, which has the advantage of creating meals for much smaller dining groups, but we don't cruise with the expectation of a 7 day gourmet experience, so we are rarely disappointed.

Don't like the idea of lines at the Aqua Duck? Avoid times you know will be crazy busy like the middle of the day on an at sea day. If you go with the attitude you will eventually find a time when the line's not long, you won't feel victimized when the wait times are high. And you will get on. Just wait until it starts sprinkling rain!

So please don't let others cloud your enjoyment of the anticipation leading up to your cruise. It will be entirely up to you if you decide to have a good time regardless of what service snags, wait times, or weather inconveniences may or may not occur. I hope you have a truly wonderful cruise and post a trip report that confirms it...there is so much magic to be found if you make up your mind to look for it. :)

I used to think WDW was the best way to do Disney, then we went on our first Diseny cruise. We are hooked so much that I am willing to take our 5 1/2 month old on her first cruise in October.

We're about to take Disney cruise #15 Feb 9 on Fantasy. This will be our "complete the fleet" cruise, having been on every DCL ship.

I have learned that how good a time you have largely depends upon you and what your expectations are. There are some people who are bored no matter what stimulus is presented to them. We avoid those people, as a rule.

I read what others post sometimes on Disboards and just shake my head that with everything available on the Navigator (movies, talks, food prep clinics, live music, more movies, sunshine, an ocean, a pool, hot tubs, bars), they still can't find something to entertain themselves. What WOULD be entertaining to them? What WOULDN'T be "boring?"

I don't know about everyone else, but my normal life has to keep to a reasonably busy schedule, and when I get on a cruise ship, I love being able to choose to spend a day doing nothing more than moving from one horizontal surface (like my bed) to another (like a lounge chair.) I don't expect to be guided from one organized activity to another like an adult camper (my kids loved that option, though.) The folks who write they just can find anything to DO...well, I'd like to see what they do back home that is so much more stimulating! Or maybe they've just never learned to enjoy being alone with themselves and their thoughts.

DH and I love to stand at the front of the ship on sea days when we are rocking along at a good clip looking out over the ocean spreading before us and drink in great lungfuls of life. We feel so grateful and lucky that we are healthy and in a situation where our life has permitted us to spend a week on a cruise ship. We are NOT going to let meals at a less-than-ideal temperature, people's enormous strollers left out in the stateroom corridors so you can barely walk past them, or lines at the Aquaduck be anything more than a fleeting annoyance. This is our vacation, and I feel I am responsible for how much fun I have, not some less-than-attentive bartender or the person who overfills my water glass at dinner, or even the adults hogging all the loungers by the pool with their towels.

If you choose, you could easily identify plenty of things to feel offended and cheated by. If you are really looking for extraordinary food, a place that has to serve thousands of meals daily probably isn't the best spot for it. For the number of people that need to be served, I think Disney does a great job. We enjoy Palo, which has the advantage of creating meals for much smaller dining groups, but we don't cruise with the expectation of a 7 day gourmet experience, so we are rarely disappointed.

Don't like the idea of lines at the Aqua Duck? Avoid times you know will be crazy busy like the middle of the day on an at sea day. If you go with the attitude you will eventually find a time when the line's not long, you won't feel victimized when the wait times are high. And you will get on. Just wait until it starts sprinkling rain!

So please don't let others cloud your enjoyment of the anticipation leading up to your cruise. It will be entirely up to you if you decide to have a good time regardless of what service snags, wait times, or weather inconveniences may or may not occur. I hope you have a truly wonderful cruise and post a trip report that confirms it...there is so much magic to be found if you make up your mind to look for it. :)

This is all very true. Thank you for reminding me of it. Honestly, I don't see my husband much during regular work weeks. He works very hard and very long hours. Just seeing him always makes the vacation for me. I need to remember that where ever we have gone we have always enjoyed it just because we are all together and that doesn't happen much. Thanks for that!

Wallawallakids - we had a very similar situation arise when we took our first Disney cruise (actually, our first cruise of *any* kind) two years ago.

I had been familiar with the DIS site for a long time (having made many trips to both DL and WDW), and after we decided to finally try out a cruise, we started "consuming" all of the great information here in the Cruise forums. It was an excellent resource, since we really didn't know much at all on what to expect (what do we pack - how do excursions work - what are these dining rotations - on and on!).

But then, maybe a month or two before we sailed, there started to be a rash of negative posts here in the forums - several about our particular ship, and how she was "showing her age". Others were just general complaints about various things.

We started to have the same thoughts as you've mentioned - "Holy cow we're about to spend *a lot* of money on this trip - have we made a mistake?".

Suffice to say, we had a FANTASTIC trip - and are now getting excited for our second cruise here this summer. Vacations are just like everything else in life I suppose - you get out of it what you put into it - and for some odd reason some people are just going through life looking for things to complain/nit-pick about.

We were never bored - enjoyed the entire 7 days and it went by WAY too fast. The only negative part of the trip was when it came to an end.

You're going to have a great time! Don't sweat it!

Last year I finally got my younger son and his girlfriend on a 4-day cruise. I had been trying to get him to try cruising for 4 years. The only reason he went is because it was packaged with 4 days at WDW and because his girlfriend really wanted to go.

Kept hearing, what can there possibly be to do on a ship for 4-days. He's going to be bored. Etc, etc. :faint:

Well, after the cruise, he was the first one to start researching 7-day cruises and hoping to eventually save the $ to go on the Fantasy. :hyper:

I've been on all four ships. I love the classics and the new ships equally. Each has pluses and minuses (i.e. too small, too big, more technology, more laid back, etc). I've cruised 4-days (three times), 7-days (three times) and a 14-day (once so far). I found plenty to do including on the 14-day!! And when it comes to food, if I don't have to prepare it, cook it and/or clean up after it - I'm in 7th heaven :cloud9: !!!!!

You will have a great time! As someone already stated - you get back what you put into it. If you expect the worst, that's what you will see/experience. So relax, have fun and ENJOY!!! :thumbsup2

A lot of the posts have been "did it used to be better?" threads. As a first timer, you'll love it iF you are realistic.

If you are on one of the new ships, there will be LOTS of people, lots of meals served, and lots of spaces to enjoy. Spread out--you don't have to do what the crowds are doing. If you expect amazing food, you are in the wrong place. If you expect to really swim in the pools, a cruise ship is likely not the right place for you. But if you expect to get wet, have fun, eat decent food, etc. you'll have a blast.

Just remember that these boards can be a blessing or a curse. It provides an abundance of information wich can be extremely helpful but can also be overwhelming. It can raise our expectations to unrealistic levels, which sets one up for disappointment. We need to remember that each person's experience will differ because we are all different. Being able to vacation with my family is what I find Magical...everything else is icing on the cake. I don't expect perfection and if there are issues I will do my best to have them resolved but my enjoyment of my vacation rests in my hands.

Enjoy your vacation with your family. I believe from earlier posts that you are sailing concierge...prepare to be spoiled in a fabulous suite. Take posts on a Dis with a grain of salt, don't let them define your vacation. :goodvibes

You actually have a bigger problem. You are going to love this! We went on our first cruise about 18 months ago and even before we were done; knew this was our favorite way to vacation. If you ask my 13 and 9 year old boys they would choose a cruise over going to WDW!

So relax; stay on Disboards because there is a lot to learn but stay away from the negative Nellies! It is a wonderful experience and well worth the money!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter