Please Tell Me about your Rotator Cuff Surgery

LovableGluttons

See Ya REAL Soon!
I tore my labrum and rotator cuff in a car accident in February and should find out on Tuesday when I'm having it repaired after failing Physical Therapy.

I had surgery on the other shoulder 20 years ago from a ruptured capsule after a spill whitewater tubing (don't ask, embarrassing!)

My other shoulder injury did not hurt like this one does, keeping me up prowling all hours of the night.

I know there are 4 weeks of immobilization post op, then physical therapy for a couple of months.

For those of you that know, once that was finished, was your shoulder 100%?

I have absolutely no pain, limited range of motion, loss of strength, any problems with the other shoulder that I had repaired 20 years ago.

Any tips would be wonderful!!!:littleangel::worship:

DH had a torn labrum 2 years ago. He has made a full recovery, and I'd say it was about a year (maybe a shade less) before he was what we would call "all better". The few days following surgery were rough. He was in a lot of post-op pain but made it through by following his surgeon's instructions to the letter. Pain meds on regular intervals, and they sent us home with this vest thing that I would fill with ice water from a cooler every hour to keep sweeling down. It was a GODsend!

You'll be glad you had the surgery, but it will be rough getting through it!

My neighbor has had 4 surgery's in 5 years. IMO he doesn't follow the rehab long enough & stops going when it "feels better". Follow the rehab program & take it slow before putting too much strain on your repaired shoulder!!

I tore my labrum and rotator cuff in a car accident in February and should find out on Tuesday when I'm having it repaired after failing Physical Therapy.

I had surgery on the other shoulder 20 years ago from a ruptured capsule after a spill whitewater tubing (don't ask, embarrassing!)

My other shoulder injury did not hurt like this one does, keeping me up prowling all hours of the night.

I know there are 4 weeks of immobilization post op, then physical therapy for a couple of months.

For those of you that know, once that was finished, was your shoulder 100%?

I have absolutely no pain, limited range of motion, loss of strength, any problems with the other shoulder that I had repaired 20 years ago.

Any tips would be wonderful!!!:littleangel::worship:

Check out this website www.slaptear.com I had labrum tear surgery 8 months ago and I am not back to 100% yet. The recovery has not been a pleasant experience. I have been told it can take up to 1 year for full recovery so I am patiently waiting. The regulars on the slaptear forum can be very helpful.

I had my rotator cuff surgery in September of 2009. I never did get back to 100%. My shoulder is at 60% right now and was never more than about 70% after 6 months of PT 3 times a week.

The pain before surgery was excruciating and the pain afterwards was worse.

My only advice is not to wait to start PT. I was scheduled to start right before Thanksgiving but kept putting it off and by the time I got in my shoulder was locked up.

I tore my other rotator cuff a few months after the surgery on my first one and the doctors are baffled as to why this keeps happening to me. (I don't do any heavy lifting). I need surgery on my other one but I am trying to hold out until I can get back up to Johns Hopkins to the same surgeon who did the first one.

Good luck. Recovery is long and slow. Just be patient and don't try to do too much after surgery.

I had surgery on my rotator cuff in 2000. I had better range of motion the same day of my surgery! Fantastic job by my Ortho.

Thank you so much!!!

I had my accident on February 16th, a Wednesday. It had a sharp pain and heard a "Pop" in my left shoulder and then it was gone.

I had to sit in an ER waiting room chair for 7 hours before seeing a physician, so my neck and back were super spasmed 7 hours later. I was diagnosed with cervical thoracic strain and sent home. By Saturday, I felt great, until I tried to go to bed. As I fell asleep, my shoulder muscles relaxed and the pain started. Over the weekend, the pain increased. On Monday I saw the doctor who ordered an MRI which confirmed my tears.

So I've had PT since, my last visit on Monday before I see the ortho again on Tuesday. I've failed PT. My range of motion and strength have decreased since PT, but a lot of the muscle spasming has gone.

The only thing that seems to give me relief is if someone pulls traction on my arm, pulling it away from my shoulder. The relief is so great, but it no one is volunteering to do it all the time. Haha!

Thanks for the input. I miss work like crazy, and this injury with my grad school work has been a BIG challenge!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter