Please tell me about Tradewinds Resort at St Petes Beach

Portugal1000

DIS Veteran
We are hoping to go to the beach for the first time next August. We have 3 weeks and will spend 5 days at the beach. We usually stay at Bonnet Creek so we are looking for a resort that has things going on as we are not the type who can just sit and sunbathe. I saw Tradwinds resort mentioned on another thread and its look really good, my son would love the infalatables in the sea. So just wondering if anyone has stayed there. Also was a bit confused as there seam to be 2 different resorts, Island Grand and Guy Harvey.
Thanks

Great resorts, we have been staying at those properties since 1971. Island Grand is a huge resorts which hosts conventions. Guy Harvey is a smaller with a family atmosphere. You can use the amenities at either resort when staying at either resort.

We haven't stayed there, but we stay two properties down all the time. We may stay there this summer if we can get a military discount rate. Our friends do stay there and we have used a lot of their amenities and are familiar with the property.

First, on a busy weekend there is a lot going on. We did a walk through one night and everyone was out and about at the hair braiding stands, paddle boats, there was a kid movie going on in the pool area where the kids could watch the movie from the pool.

My daughter stayed with her friend there and loves the high tide slide and the water play area with the inflatables. When DH and I want to jet ski we use Tradewinds jet ski rentals. We have tried paddle boarding twice but DH can't seem to stay up and gets knocked down. Lots of folks paddle boarding. There is so much that we haven't tried everything.

Since we are local, we hear a lot about various resorts and Tradewinds I would say is the most popular family resort. We have talked to people who fly in for summer vacations just to stay there.

While you are there, also check out John Pass boardwalk. There are many great restaurants and antique shopping areas as well.

Make sure to schedule in time to see the sunset on a clear night. The sunsets on this beach are awesome. You will see professional photographers taking family photos during sunset.

My daughter has a spring break birthday and we are considering having one of the Tween Twilight Glow Birthday Party packages for her.
http://www.tradewindsresort.com/uploadedFiles/Recreation/Kids/birthday packages 0912.pdf

Thank you for your replies. I have been watching you tube videos and reading reviews and your ver detailed review has convinced me we will love it there. We are hoping to go to Florida from 6th to 30th August and can't decide whether to spend the first or last 5 or 6 days here. It will be our first time at the gulf and as this is our 11th trip we have already spent alot if time in Orlando. My sons 14th birthday is 12th August and he has spent his last 3 birthdays at Disney ( he is a very lucky boy) so it might be nice to be some place different. Also I guess the parks might be a little less busy at end if August. We will stay at Bonnet Creek for the remainder of time as we just love it there. I think my husband is a little worried about going somewhere new but I can't wait. We were originally thinking of Long Boat Key but not sure there will be enough going on there to keep us all busy as we are not the type to just laze on the beach. We want to be going something! We really can't wait up try paddle boarding but I'll probably be another one who can't stand up! Anyway just have to find a reasonable flight from London now. Paid £420 last July with Delta but prices currently over £900!

Once you know your dates, call the resort because sometimes during the week they don't have all over the recreation activities. I just checked their website and for example they don't have the water island out during the week.

How far is tradewinds from the Port Canaveral Pier? Thanks:)

It's on the other side of the state. Depending on the time of day, day of the week, and mess of traffic on I-4...anywhere from 3-4 hours probably. :)

How far is tradewinds from the Port Canaveral Pier? Thanks:)
Port Canaveral Pier is on the opposite coast of Florida.. so its about a four hour drive. Trade winds resort is (in my opinion) the best hotel on the west coast however. amazing service, rooms, family entertainment, and even dining. couldn't recommend it enough! hope this helped!

So we had decided on Tradewinds for 4 or 5 nights and then today I saw they had an offer where you get a discounted rate if you stay 7 nights so we think we may go for that. One more hurdle, my husband would like a balcony but that's a fair bit cheaper at Guy Harvey but don't seem to be gulf front 1 bedroom suites with a balcony just court yard. Is the courtyard view nice. I really want to get this right as our first time staying at the beach. Plus this one bedroom suite is double the price of a 2 bedroom at Bonnet Creek. We will arrive Orlando 6th August and stay one night. Drive to St Pete's the next day for 7 nights then back to Bonnet Creek for 14 nights. Can't wait. Especially as I am now sitting in the English countryside which is beautiful but the weather is absolutely awful and has been all over Xmas. We need some sun! Thanks for all your info.

So we had decided on Tradewinds for 4 or 5 nights and then today I saw they had an offer where you get a discounted rate if you stay 7 nights so we think we may go for that. One more hurdle, my husband would like a balcony but that's a fair bit cheaper at Guy Harvey but don't seem to be gulf front 1 bedroom suites with a balcony just court yard. Is the courtyard view nice. I really want to get this right as our first time staying at the beach. Plus this one bedroom suite is double the price of a 2 bedroom at Bonnet Creek. We will arrive Orlando 6th August and stay one night. Drive to St Pete's the next day for 7 nights then back to Bonnet Creek for 14 nights. Can't wait. Especially as I am now sitting in the English countryside which is beautiful but the weather is absolutely awful and has been all over Xmas. We need some sun! Thanks for all your info.

I've stayed at both and I would pay more and stay at the Island Grand. It has more of a "resort" atmosphere. We've stayed in a 1 bedroom courtyard at Guy Harvey. The view was ok, some ocean, blocked by building. But the balcony is just a sliding door with a railing. Not an actual balcony. I've also stayed in a tropical one bedroom suite and a standard one bedroom suite at the Grand. Prefer the tropical but it's definitely more expensive.

You can also join their resort "club" the Paradise Club and receive special discounts. It is free! :thumbsup2

St. Pete has been our special place for 15 years! We've stayed there 6 times and 2 doors down at least 6 more times. You will LOVE the beach! Lots to do at the resort and in the area. In my opinion it is not worth the extra money for beachfront balcony room. It sounds like our families are similar and we are outside on the go the whole time. The only time we'd sit on the balcony to look out at the beach would be at breakfast.

We are also considering tradewinds. What airport is nearest to it? Thanks:)

Tampa International or St. Petersburg-Clearwater Airport

We've flown into both. You will probably get the best rates at Tampa.
That being said, we've also flown into Orlando and driven 1 1/2 hrs to Tampa to save on the flight. Just depends when you're going.

Thanks. We have booked a week in a one bed suite from 7th August. Might have to change as haven't got our flights from uk yet but hoping for 6th to 29th August. Going to be a great summer.

Yes we will have a car and want to drive down to some of the other resorts, Longboat Key etc so we can see if we might want to spend future holidays there. Will also go to Busch Gardens one day.

We got married at tradewinds island grand and it was amazing! It is a full resort from bellhop, restaurants, bars, live music, activities and services.
We had a wedding weekend there and we arrived on Thursday and didn't leave the resort until Sunday and we had everything we needed. Your kids will have a blast. We can't wait to take our son there when he gets a little older. You can't go wrong! Have fun!

We stayed at Tradewinds last summer for a week and for the money paid, I was disappointed. I read a lot of favorable reviews on Trip Advisor so I was very excited to go. Not sure if it was an off week when we were there since many seem to love it, but I won't ever go back. Issues we had:

1. The rooms were very small. They look much larger online. We booked a one-bedroom and it was about the size of a regular room, just cut in half with one side the bedroom. The beds were small, double beds.

2. The house keeping was hit or miss. Some days they came, some they did not. On days they cleaned, they missed things like taking out the trash or leaving new towels.

3. The pool area was very small and old. There was one, small dirty bathroom and changing area. Not sufficient for number of people by the pool. Fortunately, the wonderful beach was near so no need to spend much time at the pool. Arcade is also small, old and dirty.

4. When compared to the Disney Kids Clubs as well as South Seas Island Resort in Captiva, we found the kids club at Tradewinds fell short. One night they just sat the kids down at the poolside movie even though there were specific themed night with activities and crafts. The staff in the kids club were teenagers and not that engaged with the kids.

5. There is a trampoline type bungee and it broke while my son was mid-air. He got bruised and cut. They did bring ice and asked if we wanted them to arrrange medical care. However, when I asked for my money back since my daughter was in line after him they said they could not return the money and we'd have to wait until they could process a credit. Three weeks and several emails later I finally got a refund.

6. Small parking lot nearest our room. If we went out to eat in the evening had to park in a remote lot and walk.

7. Inflatables in ocean not up every day. Even on sunny, clear days.

8. Smoking is allowed. People in rooms on either side of us would sit outside in the chairs in the walkway and smoke. We couldn't enjoy sitting outside when they were out. A lot of smoke at the pools and had to move several times when people next to me smoked.

We really enjoyed the beach and spent most of our days on the beach. Could have spent much less at a different hotel and done the same thing. We've also been to Captiva Island South Seas Resort and my kids and I all felt it was much better than Tradewinds with better activities and facilities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter