please talk to me about len's like im a 2 yr old

twoeeyy

DIS Veteran
i know Nothing at all about cameras. I bought my 16 yr old a canon rebel xs back in october. for xmas i bought her 50m f/1.8 - she did not ask for this I just bought it for her. she seems to like it.

now she wants to buy herself either a fish eye ( first choice ) or a wide angle lens. I bought her a telefoto for xmas and she did not want it.

she honestly does not know much about lens's but she ' thinks ' that she want a fish eye or a wide angle lens.

All I am looking for is model #'s or lens specifics as what to buy. I have looked on-line but I have no-idea what they are even talking about !! haha

Thanks in advance.

It would probably be best to know what price range you are looking for, or what exactly your daughter is looking for in a lens. If you are looking for an ultra-wide, Sigma makes one that is 10-20mm (which is wider than both the kit lens that probably came with her camera, as well as the 50mm f/1.8).

Here is the link to this one on Amazon.com. Just make sure if you are going to buy a non-manufacturer brand, you get one that is a Canon mount, not a Nikon, Pentax, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-10-20mm...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1230421194&sr=8-1

Don't know a good recommendation for a Canon mount fisheye, but I would say that if you know less about lenses than your daughter but she might have the time/patience/ability to do a little more research, your money might be better spent by either A. having her pick out the lens (if you are going to purchase it) or B. just giving her a gift card to somewhere reputable like Amazon.com, Adorama or B&H nd let her buy what she wants.

Good luck and happy shopping!!! :thumbsup2

price range is in the 3 to 4 hundred range.

again she does not know real specifics, she is just starting to get into photography.

The Sigma 10-20 is a popular wide angle lens for a lot of people. It is in your price range and available with a Canon mount. I would guess the Canon equivalent would be much more.

Now being a two year old go to your room and take a nap! And no talking back or no cookies for you tonight!

What your willing to spend is going to make a big difference. As you get into the "specialty" lenses you also get into the big dollars.

Canon has a 15mm f/2.8 fisheye lens that runs for about $570.

Zenitar also has a fisheye lens in a Canon mount. Its a 16mm f/2.8 however, it is manual focus only and I belive you also have to set the f/stops manually on the lens as well. Its a lot less expensive than the Canon but there is a lot more work involved in getting the picture. You'd REALLY have to be INTO photography to go that route.

Sigma has an 8mm f/4 fisheye lens for a Canon, but that runs $660. They also have a 15mm f/2.8 fisheye for a Canon, but thats priced about the same as the Canon fisheye lens.

The wide angle lens from Sigma (10-20mm) is less expensive at about $425. Canon makes a great 10-22mm wide angle lens but that will run you over $600.

This photography hobby can get very expensive very quickly.

she was hoping to stay in the 3 to 4 hundred range but will increase to the 4 to 5 hundred range.

Thanks so far for all the advice. All I can say is thank god I only have one child. Hobbies are sooooo expensive !!!

You may want to try renting a fisheye first before spending the money. I loooooove fisheyes (I like them much better than ultra-wideangle "normal" rectilinear lenses like the Sigma 10-20mm) but they can be an acquired taste. There are several online places that will rent you lenses so you can try them before buying.

I am a big fan of the Zenitar 16mm however it will not be a "true" fisheye on a DSLR like the Rebel XS - you lose the edges (as compared to a 35mm film camera or full-frame digital camera) so you only get mild "fishiness".

I don't think Canon even makes a fisheye for their cropped-sensor DSLRs like the XS. Your best bet for true fishiness would probably be the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye zoom, which is over $500. Sigma also recently started making a 10mm fisheye. The Canon DSLR sensor is slightly smaller than most other cropped-sensor cameras (1.6 crop vs 1.5) so you won't get the full 180' fishiness with any of them, but it will be pretty close.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter