Please share your Christmas menu

Oh how I wish I could just do appetizers for Christmas Eve. I lust after all the delicious sounding hot apps recipes... We always host the extended family of 20+ and hubby HAS to have to his turkey since we don't cook on Thanksgiving. We added a spiral Honey baked ham a few years ago as well.

So, it will be pretty standard fare: Stuffing, Mashed Potatoes, sweet potatoes, GBC, but I also make Chicken flavored rice and a pea and carrot dish.
I am still toying around with appetizers. Hubby bought a cheese board this year (without asking me), shaped like a slice of Swiss cheese and including some tools. Problem is, it really does not have much surface space, but he bought about 8 kinds of cheese to put on it, LOL. Not enough room, not to mention adding crackers.

I got a crab mousse recipe from a friend I will try, make some veggie dip, some deviled eggs, celery with cream cheese and olives, that's about it I think.

Thinking of trying the Boursin potatoes too, I love Boursin cheese.

I would so much prefer to just make hot appetizers, but cant fit them in the oven with the turkey, grrrrr

This week I made 8 pounds of those candied pecans!! People love them as part of my Christmas treat gifts! They're really pretty simple:

1 pound of pecan halves
1 Tablespoon of water
1 Egg white
1 cup of Sugar
3/4 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon

Mix the cinnamon and sugar in a large bowl
Beat the egg whites in water in another large bowl until frothy
Put the pecans in the egg mixture, then the sugar mixture, coating well
Bake at 250 degrees for an hour - stirring every 15 minutes
I do it on a jelly roll pan lined with parchment paper
I also stir them a couple of times after they come out of the oven and are cooling

The baked brie is even easier, and there are tons of ways to do it. The simplest is just to take a small wheel of brie (8 oz) and completely wrap it in crescent roll dough (1 can.) Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Let it sit for 10 minutes before serving. Have some extra crackers for serving with it - although the crescent dough takes care of most of that.

You can make it even more yummy by putting some brown sugar and pecans on top before wrapping it. I usually toast some chopped pecans in a little butter in a frying pan, then add some brown sugar to the pan. (I don't know exact amounts - it's a very forgiving process though.) Pour the pecan mixture on top of the brie, and then wrap it in the crescents and bake as above.

Both of these recipes are huge hits at every gathering!!!

Well, which one? LOL

Today we had dinner and gifts with Older ds and his family. So, the kids exchanged gifts between themselves and the grandkids and we had for dinner:

fried turkey (done in dh's new oil less fryer---YUM)
dressing and gravy
homemade cranberry sauce
broccoli and cauliflower with cheese sauce (a mixture of cream cheese, cheddar and mozzarella)

YDS will have his kids on Christmas eve this year and wants to have it here and they will all stay here the night before. So, that morning before the girls open their gifts we will have cinnamon rolls, fried ham and biscuits, and fruit salad.

Christmas morning it will be me, dh and dd and I am sure ds will come over. And we will have ham, gingerbread, and biscuits with milk gravy (dd's request) and maybe monkey bread.

All I know right now is Christmas Day breakfast. We'll make monkey bread first thing in the morning, then later have a brunch (or "second breakfast" of egg nog French toast, hash brown casserole, bacon, and eggs. Sometime either Christmas Day or Christmas Eve will be tamales.

Sent from me.

We have Christmas Eve here with my side of the family. We will have

Sushi
Pierogies (SIL is Hungarian)
Crab cakes
Salad
Bread
Lobster
Shrimp
Scallops
All in a lemon butter sauce
Baked sole and basa in lemon and butter
Yule log
Assorted home baked cookies
Home made egg nog
Good sparkling wine

For Christmas Day I am roasting a filet of beef to take to my mil's. We will also have pasta in white sauce and red sauce, roasted root vegis and other sides. Probably roasted peppers, salad if I could guess. Cookies and some sort of cake for dessert. Italian nougat and fruit too.

Christmas morning is always cinnamon rolls. Has been since dh and I met.

We are italian. It's a feast. Love it though.

My family is mostly vegan, so we have rather non-traditional Christmas dinners. Each year we figure out a theme and prepare a buffet of dishes (mostly prepped by me and my daughter) to serve. This year, we decided to do Canadian foods. We will have 15 for dinner, including my six grandchildren who are 6 months, 18 months, four years, six years, eight years and 12 years.

Our menu will be:
Wild rice salad
Green salad with pears, cranberries and walnuts with mustard dressing
Mushroom soup
Lentil Tortiere
Mashed Yukon Gold potatoes with mushroom gravy
Steamed Brussels sprouts and Broccoli with vegan "cheese" sauce
Garlic-herb Bannock
Berry crumble
Nanaimo Bars
Butter Tarts

TP

This year it will be appetizers before church on Christmas Eve....shrimp cocktail, spinach dip w/Hawaiian bread bowl, cheese ball & crackers, meat & cheese tray, veggie tray, maybe cream cheese pickles & deviled eggs.

After church, a big dinner of boneless pork & beef roasts, mashed potatoes & gravy, sweet corn, candied carrots, dinner rolls, lefse, and relish tray. Dessert will be all types of Scandinavian goodies (krumkake, rosettes, kringle, etc.), and the cookies and candies that we all make and take to the party.

All I know right now is Christmas Day breakfast. We'll make monkey bread first thing in the morning, then later have a brunch (or "second breakfast" of egg nog French toast, hash brown casserole, bacon, and eggs. Sometime either Christmas Day or Christmas Eve will be tamales.

Sent from me.

Ooh, egg nog French toast and hash brown casserole sounds yummy!

We decided this year we were tired of the tried and true turkey/ham so we are going off the beaten path. We have 12 people including my ex husband and my sister and her son with girlfriend in addition to my 4 kids, dil and 2 grandkids.
Since we go to my DS/DIL with grandkids early, she is making a ham the night before and slicing, people are bringing bacon, eggs, croissants.

After presents and parades and playing with new toys,
Everyone is bringing some items for tacos

We figured it was like a taco bar, put the cooked meat in the crockpot and people can just put a tortilla on the griddle and make their own. Simple, no hassle trying to get everything done on time.

Everyone is bringing some kind of dessert of their choice. I'm making cookies, my sister made my mom's fruitcake (which isn't really a fruitcake, it's really a brown sugar boiled loaf with raisins, currants and nuts) but it's the memory, my daughter is bringing an apple/carmel pie she bought to bake at Apple Hill.

Christmas Morning:
Cinnamon Rolls

Christmas Meal:
Ham (We're halving this and eating the rest on New Years Day)
Mashed Potatoes
Corn
Salad
Rolls

Dessert:
Pillsbury Funfetti Holiday Cake and Ice Cream
Probably cookies I still have cookie dough in the fridge from a couple weeks ago and need to finish them off.

There are only 3 of us and if we had any more food we would be eating leftovers for days!

I love this! Thank you for sharing. I think maybe I will start this but on a different day.

For Christmas eve we have sloppy joes and Ballreich potato chips. Costs a small fortune to have them shipped but it is an old family tradition.

Christmas breakfast is whatever we decide that morning and overnight cinnamon rolls.
Christmas dinner has been a prime rib pasta w/ a horseradish sauce. It is really good but I am thinking of something else this year. Though DH is not liking me changing it.

I would love the recipe for the pasta with horseradish sauce. We are having prime rib and that sound so good.

Well, which one? LOL

Today we had dinner and gifts with Older ds and his family. So, the kids exchanged gifts between themselves and the grandkids and we had for dinner:

fried turkey (done in dh's new oil less fryer---YUM)
dressing and gravy
homemade cranberry sauce
broccoli and cauliflower with cheese sauce (a mixture of cream cheese, cheddar and .

I wanted to get DH a fryer. Could you tell me what brand your DH has? I like the idea of oil-less! :goodvibes

I forgot to add my menu. :lmao:

We usually go to my SILs but this year, they're coming to us. We're having:

Ham
Scalloped potatoes
Pineapple stuffing(first time trying this)
Green bean casserole
Broccoli roasted in the oven
Corn
Spinach cranberry feta salad
Sweet potato biscuits

Way to many side dishes and desserts to list but I will say that I will be doing the traditional Turkey AND Ham. The would be a revolution in my household if that were not the case! However I really admire those who take a chance on something different !

I am making dinner on the 26th. We are having ham, hash brown casserole, fresh green beans and balsamic roasted carrots. Pretty original, but it's something everyone will eat. :)

Thank you all for your ideas! We had our first (of two) Christmas dinners tonight and everything was great! Here was our menu:

Breakfast:
-Cheese quiche with fruit salad

Apps:
We kept it simple with a cheese/meat/cracker tray & a veggie platter

Meal
-Mozzarella, tomato, & basil salad:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...mozzarella-and-tomato-salad-recipe/index.html
-Pot roast (used brisket instead of chuck roast and we ended up putting it in the crockpot. We also added root vegetables during the final hour of cooking):
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/pot-roast-recipe2/index.html
-Mashed potatoes
-Steamed green beans
-Wheat rolls

Dessert:
-Tuxedo chocolate mousse cake from Costco-OMG, it was heavenly!!!

We still have Christmas morning/dinner to plan, for just my DH, me, & our 15 months old DD. I'm thinking of picking up a quiche or mini frittatas from Whole Foods (love their quiche!!) for breakfast. Lunch/dinner I'm thinking of making a non-meat casserole (possibly seafood).

I forgot to add my menu. :lmao:

We usually go to my SILs but this year, they're coming to us. We're having:

Ham
Scalloped potatoes
Pineapple stuffing(first time trying this)
Green bean casserole
Broccoli roasted in the oven
Corn
Spinach cranberry feta salad
Sweet potato biscuits

Is your pineapple stuffing made with eggs, butter, sugar, white bread, and crushed pineapple? If so, I have been making this for 20+ years and it is a crowd favorite. It is my ticket into Easter dinner at my BFF's house. ;)

We also had an early Christmas dinner tonight.

ham
hash brown casserole
potato salad
deviled eggs
little smokies in a spicy bbq sauce
vegetable pizza
shrimp cocktail
hawaiian rolls
cheese and pepperoni plate
roasted vegetables
paska bread
nut roll
cookies
pies
soda
beer
wine

too much food but everyone got to take leftovers home and I don't have to cook tomorrow :goodvibes

I am having Christmas Eve at my house with my in-laws, and Christmas Day at my house with my family, cousins, aunts, etc.

Christmas Eve
Ham
green beans
spinach appetizer
overnight salad
hash brown casserole
fruit salad
peaches and cream cake
croissant bites
cookies
Luckily for me, my sister-in-law is bringing five of those things! She likes to make things.

Christmas Day
Roast Beef
Turkey
Unknown pasta dish
mashed potatoes
green beans
strawberry salad
oriental slaw
carrots
broccoli rice casserole
eclair cake
cookies
pecan pie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter