Please review the Rose and Crown

PavelB

Mouseketeer
We really need to try some new places this summer. My son has talked me into trying the Rose and Crown. What do you order there? Is lunch or dinner best? For your info, we are a meat and potatoes kind of family. (I still can't talk them into Boma - oh well.)

We really enjoyed our meals there & are planning on going back this April.
Here are some of the dishes we ordered: Lamb Barley soup, fruit & cheese plate, fish & chips, Cottage pie & Guinness stew. The food was delicious & the service was great. My BIL LOVES to eat & he thought the Cottage Pie was very good. The desserts - Apple crisp, Guinness Cake & Toffee pudding - very good esp Guinness cake. Enjoy. :wizard:

We love the Rose and Crown. We've been there twice. I always get the bangers and mash. My son sticks to the fish and chips. Sorry cannot remember what the other family members eat but everyone enjoyed their meal. We are dining there again on our upcoming trip.

We'll give it a try. I think I'll order a few different things and we can try them all out. (I just have to make sure I have room for the desserts - they do sound good.)

The last time I went to WDW, our meal at R&C was the best one of the trip. We shared the Mushroom Medley appetizer, which consisted of different types of mushrooms in a cream sauce, over a flaky pastery. Very good (a little salty). DGF (ex) had the fish and chips, which you can't really mess up, and I had the Pie Sampler (which had a sample of Shepards Pie, Chicken and Leek Pie, and Sausage Pie) which was really good. For dessert we shared the Dessert Sampler, which was great. All capped off with a great view of Illuminations after dinner.
Very enjoyable. :thumbsup2

We like the Rose and Crown very much. I think we've eaten there on all of our recent trips. I do miss the "sampler" dinner they used to have. Our CM said she had no idea why they took it off the menu as it was very popular.

I know they have a steak entreè on their menu that comes with potatoes and Yorkshire pudding.

This is on our do not return list..although we may cave and give it another chance. Here were our issues
SLOOOOOOOOOOW service(we sat down and it took 30 minutes for any waiter to make an appearance in our area and then we had to go to the podium to get someone to our table.)
Wrong food(they brought someone else's food to our table-and tried to just drop and disappear- we again had to get their attention to take it away.
Bad food- When our food finally came it was cold. I got the fish and chips and it was so mushy and awful(the ones at the cart outside were much better and much cheaper)
Then our waiter left and someone else took his place and she never came over. at all. Again had to go to the podium to get our check.
No A/C if you sit outside during the summer it is like an oven. And when I requested inside I was told an extra 20 minute wait I said ok....then when 20 minutes was up they said another hour- so we took the outside seating big mistake.

Now why I am tempted to give them another chance. The day we went it was forth of july week and that particular day there was a terrible bombing incident in London. So I am assuming they all may have been concerned about family and I can't fault them for that.

We eat there everytime we're at WDW and have never been disappointed.

It's a must do!

Disney Ron

Are the fish and chips the same that they sell outside? There is a difference in the price so do you get more when you eat inside or get extra side items. We usually just go to the window but thought of maybe going inside the restaurant next time.

In my experience the fish and chips at the takeaway around the corner from the main restaurant was much better than what I ate inside. We used to go for the pie sampler, DW and DDs would get prime rib. Those items are gone and so are we. :earsboy:

I really like the Cottage Pie and the Lamb Stew is excellent also. We will definitely eat there again.

We had never tried R&C before last July. It turned out to be the best kept secret. We loved it so much we switched another ressie later in our trip and went back to R&C. This restaurant is great for the meat and potatoes type family (so is Biergarten - which we love as well).

I had the Bangors & Mash both times. It was so so good!!
DH had the Cottage pie the first time and the Guiness Stew the second time. He raved about his both times. We had soup both times as well. I loved the patoes and leaks and DH loved the Lamb Barley soup.

We have the R&C booked twice on our trip this July. I can't wait to go back for Bangors & Mashed.

Its a shame you can't talk your family into BOMA's. Its probably my favorite restaurant and very good for the Meat & Potatoe family. Everything is so unique and flavorful here.

java said:
This is on our do not return list..although we may cave and give it another chance. Here were our issues
SLOOOOOOOOOOW service.
Wrong food(they brought someone else's food to our table-and tried to just drop and disappeary.
Bad food- When our food finally came it was cold. I got the fish and chips and it was so mushy and awful(the ones at the cart outside were much better and much cheaper)

Our experience was very similar to that above. My DD's chicken breast from the kids menu was sooooo overcooked that we couldn't cut it. We requested another, it was only slightly better. It took us forever to get someones attention to get it replaced, finally DH took it and stood in the entry to the kitchen!

Our service was also very slow and we had a hard time finding a server to get things corrected - Although we found this to be a problem at a couple of restaurants that we visited, including LIberty Tree and Garden Grill

The fish and chips were cold, mushy and had no flavor, I agree with above that the CS were so much better.

However, the english toffee dessert was by far, hands down without a doubt the best thing I have ever put into my mouth!

I don't know if we would do it again. I think we will stick to CS

MamaCatNV

Rose n' Crown is a MUST for us every trip .. Lunch is our preferred meal. We have tried RC for dinner, but were very disappointed with service and menu; especially service. Lunch has always been wonderful! Cottage Pie is my fav; DH is fish and chips. We both love the beer! and sitting outside by the water in the sun!

We have eaten at Rose & Crown many times over the years and had many wonderful meals. We always start with the Mushroom Medley which is very good and the Barley Lamb soup. I had the fish and chips and my wife had the cottage pie on our last trip and they were both good.

We loved the Rose and Crown! We even have an ADR for August now.

We were originally planning on getting a drink there and then counter service, since it was a lunch but we figured it wouldn't hurt to ask if they had any tables for two. We got right in and it was one of our best decisions! It was relaxing, fun and delicious. The waitress was helpful, had a beautiful British accent complete with the dry British humor I am so fond of, and she even got us the recipe for the Chocolate Guinness Cake! (reminds me, I did promise DBF I'd make it sometime . . . .)

We were seated outside on the patio, which was nice.

Here's my entree- the Guiness Beef Stew. I'm not a huge beer lover, but this was delicious- tender beef and veggies in a flavorful gravy with creamy potatoes and a cheese crisp. Wow!

IMG_1372WM.JPG

Here's DBF's entree- the chicken pasties and garden peas. He loved this and wants to get it again next time.

IMG_1373WM.JPG

Here are our drinks- an English Rose (pink) for me and a Welsh Dragon (green) for DBF. Simply lovely!!!

IMG_1374WM.JPG

Rolls and butter (amazingly chewy and delicious for humid Florida weather!)

IMG_1376WM.JPG

DBF's Guinness Chocolate Cake (He still talks about this!!!)

IMG_1377WM.JPG

My Sticky Toffee Pudding. Warm, cakey pudding that tastes like the best caramel-toffee combination! The outside has a lacy crisp exterior and then the tender interior. It is just delicious. The sauce has a much stronger and more delicious flavoring than normal caramel sauce. I loved it!

IMG_1379WM.JPG

I love Rose and Crown! :cloud9:

Everyone, thank you for your input. It seems a little inconsistent but I am going to give it a try. I am definitely going to order the mushroom dish- and the toffee dessert!
By the way, one of the best things about a Disney vacation is all the fun I have planning the trip. It takes a week long vacation and stretches it out for months! (after a while my husband and sons stop listening to me completely)

PavelB said:
I am definitely going to order the toffee dessert!
Could you FedX me some? :teleport: She asks as she is wiping the drool off of the keyboard.....

Whenever at the R & G we always have a shandy at the bar. Nothing will cool you down faster and at the same time be delicious. For those that don't know a shandy is half Harp half sprite. Doesn't sound nearly as good as it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter