please read and help me out

What do you want to be when you grow up? :goodvibes And I'm not being sarcastic -- I'm in my 40s and people still ask me that! :laughing:

You need to stick with the job that will get you to the job you really want to be doing.

You mentioned screenwriting -- if that's your goal, then Disney is going to give you a better opportunity to move in that direction. Not because they make movies, but because the theme parks have more live, scripted entertainment. At Disney, you can start out as the "pool boy" (for lack of a better term ...) and work your way into other areas. Less of a likelihood with Hard Rock.

Here's an example .... you're handing out towels at WL for an hourly rate. During the busiest times of year -- Christmas, Easter, etc -- you grab some extra hours on the "Extra Hour Hotline". One of those assignments is working parade crowd control. So, you do that a couple of times and you meet some of the people who work on the parades. Maybe you audition to be a Character or a parade performer, if for no other reason than to meet a few more folks in Entertainment. Every time there's a big special event, you grab some extra hours, and now you're meeting more Entertainment CMs. A year or so in, maybe you go for a professional internship in Entertainment, or maybe you ask someone you've met along the way who they know in one of the Creative or Show Production areas who might let you shadow them for a day, or even just meet with you for a half-hour to talk about what it is you want to do. When you meet with them, you ask if there's any way you could maybe meet one of the Disney Show Directors, because they're the guys who actually write the live shows and you'd love to find out how they got THEIR jobs. Someone encourages you to submit a resume and a writing sample for the Show Director Bench, so that when they need scripts for special events or conventions, you could be considered. And you move up throughout the Entertainment or Convention ranks, meeting people and writing show treatments along the way. Ten or fifteen years from now, you're writing convention shows or scripting stage shows ... all of which started with a job handing out towels at WL.

It's not easy, but that kind of job growth is possible at Disney, if you spend the time and energy working at it.

I don't know that you can take a similar route working at Hard Rock. IMO, by sheer size and diversity of product, Disney will provide you with more opportunities than Hard Rock will. But it will be up to you to make the most of those opportunities. It's still all on you.

:earsboy:

I like this reply! :thumbsup2

I have a sister-in-law that has worked at Disney and hated it, but her dad was an engineer there for years and loved it. You have to go into it knowing it is not going to be a fairy-tale dream job, but it CAN open doors for you, and it looks really good on a resume. And if the hours are good and you can go to school while working there, EVEN BETTER!!

What is your degree in? Without a degree you won't move very far at Disney (or anywhere actually) I know this for a fact.

As far as living comfortable as what? possibly a supervisor of pool attendants? You aren't going to go further than that without a degree, especially now and in this economy.

Disney is also well known to not be high paying.

If you are using this as a job while in school I'm sure either would be good and I'd go on which is more flexible so I could schedule classes.

Hard Rock in a heartbeat.:thumbsup2 I have been going there since they opened and many employees are still there 10-12 years later. They really seem to love their jobs. As far as moving up within a company - you can do anything you put your mind to. Best of luck to you! :)

One is with tips and one without? I'd choose the one with tips.

I wouldn't worry too much about making a do not hire list just over turning down a job offer. The Florida tourist places are pretty used to employees moving between them.

Moving up within Disney is NOT easy. Even with a degree it takes a long time and there are never any guarantees. Disney is not high paying either as they figure they can get just about anyone to replace you when you leave.

One of the things I HATE is lets say you work full time and your days off are Wednesday and Thursdays every week.
Come November, you will be lucky and get Thanksgiving off. Lets say that Christmas Eve and Christmas Day fall the days of Wed and Thurs that December. Guess what? Those same people that were off for Thanksgiving, also get Christmas off to enjoy time with their family. Doesn't matter if you have kids, a sick Grandmother, if you are normally working on Thursdays, you WILL be working Thanksgiving.
I hate that there is no flexibility on that. And it doesn't matter what status you are for that rule either.

A few people I have worked with in the past have moved over to Universal and like the working conditions much better and have more flexibilty.

I vote neither. Neither will ever give you a dream job. You'll work your butt off in the hot summer sun, be completely under appreciated, and never make enough to cover the bills.

Go find yourself a real job if you want a comfortable living. This isn't South Beach or Vegas.

What a dumb thing to say! This is a real job and it is always much easier to move up if you actually have a foot in the door.

Where do you work again?

What is your degree in? Without a degree you won't move very far at Disney (or anywhere actually) I know this for a fact.

As far as living comfortable as what? possibly a supervisor of pool attendants? You aren't going to go further than that without a degree, especially now and in this economy.

Disney is also well known to not be high paying.

If you are using this as a job while in school I'm sure either would be good and I'd go on which is more flexible so I could schedule classes.

So in order to move up in any corporation (not Disney), you MUST have a degree? I know for a fact that this is not true. A former boss at a major corporation started fresh out of high school and made it to Director without a degree. My brother worked at a baby of the company (think divestiture) and climbed up the ladder without a degree.

Three of my former bosses made it to the top NCO position in the Army without a degree.

There are people without a degree that do well in their chosen careers.

So in order to move up in any corporation (not Disney), you MUST have a degree? I know for a fact that this is not true. A former boss at a major corporation started fresh out of high school and made it to Director without a degree. My brother worked at a baby of the company (think divestiture) and climbed up the ladder without a degree.

Three of my former bosses made it to the top NCO position in the Army without a degree.

There are people without a degree that do well in their chosen careers.

And how long ago did these people do this? Today the chances you will even be hired with out at least a AD or certificate program are slim.

Yes you used to be able to do it.

I do know that Disney wants you to have a degree. I know someone who was told by Disney they could go no higher because they didn't have their degree and if they were being hired today they never would have been.

What a dumb thing to say! This is a real job and it is always much easier to move up if you actually have a foot in the door.

Where do you work again?

Well said!

OP - I've never looked into working at either WDW or Universal, so I cannot help with your choice; however, don't let the comments (like the one declansdad quoted) stop you from choosing one of them!

Good luck to you.

And how long ago did these people do this? Today the chances you will even be hired with out at least a AD or certificate program are slim.

I do know that Disney wants you to have a degree. I know someone who was told by Disney they could go no higher because they didn't have their degree and if they were being hired today they never would have been.

You know someone?? Do you have any first hand knowledge?

The top NCO's within the last few years. My brother within the last five years, since he just retired. I am sure if dug back into the deep recesses in my mind, I could come up with more examples. I just don't agree with your blanket statement that a degree is now required. It is just not true. What about plumbers and electricians? They enjoy quite lucrative careers without a degree. In addition a good carpenter or cabinet maker (not talking production line one) enjoy good careers too.

I get frustrated with the attitude of in order to be successful you must have a degree.

also i like the hour for disney simply because i can get an education in buisness since i would be done by 1 everyday..

There's a possible answer for you.

It seems you have a plan.

It's always good to have a plan.

Take the job that allows you the time to get your education. The education will help you move up in whichever company.

Congratulations on being wanted by both!

Geez, by the comments on this you would think the op was asking for the best way to collect welfare, not a job selection. Some people just feel the need to be cruel to make themselves feel better.:sad2:

OP, go with your gut. Which interview were you the most comfortable with? I've read some things that Disney is very difficult to work for, but that is just some things that I read at a time that I was considering moving to FL. There are many companies that will only consider employees for open positions & even will assist you with furthering your education. Good Luck.

The top NCO's within the last few years. My brother within the last five years, since he just retired. I am sure if dug back into the deep recesses in my mind, I could come up with more examples. I just don't agree with your blanket statement that a degree is now required. It is just not true. What about plumbers and electricians? They enjoy quite lucrative careers without a degree. In addition a good carpenter or cabinet maker (not talking production line one) enjoy good careers too.

I get frustrated with the attitude of in order to be successful you must have a degree.

If you read my response You would have seen a I said at least an AD or certificate which is what a plumber or electrician needs. And especially in the electrician area they almost all have AD's. Factory workers where my DH works don't even get hired without some college, most at least an AD.

I agree not everyone needs a BS and we do need people to do trades BUT even the trades now need some training or college. And yes they make a good living but they had to continue their education past high school.

I think it is misleading to have someone believe they can start out handing out towels and in this day and age be able to rise to a high position in a company without going to school, Especially a big company like Disney.

OP- are you sure that your hours at Disney are fixed hours? The reason I ask is if its an hourly role at least in my experience working for the company I have always had a rotating schedule. My father also works for the company and is full time custodial, his hours rotate but when he bids gets preference of # of days, days, nights and preferred hours among those options, as well as preference for days off. Its then filled based on senority.

I am not full time and I have open availability so my days rotate even more then his do. So I would verify that they are guaranteeing you specific hours. I'm only going based on my own experience and my fathers experience so maybe that role is different.

In terms which I would choose, I have seen a person start on the college program, do an professional internship, get hired part time, go full time, and move into a management position in less then a year, others I have seen take much longer as it all depends on what role they are trying to move up to. So advancing at Disney is possible it just takes hard work, dedication, and patience.

I know someone who works at Universal and I don't hear him complain often about his job, but while laid back and seeming less busy might be a plus, I prefer it being busier, and more structured because I'm Type A personality.

One thing I would consider before I took either is how far they are from your home, and how much commuting to either would cost you, how much time would it take you to get there etc. That way you can judge which would be easiest to get to, will put less wear and tear on your car, cost less tolls, gas, etc wise.

I did see mention a comment about being prevented from being hired for turning down a position, its possible, Disney does have a system set up for rehires, so it might put a time limit on when you would be able to apply again, but it might not permanently prevent you from being rehired. If you take the job though, and you decide its not for you, make sure you leave the company professionally, give proper notice, leave on good terms, no points, no reprimands etc because if you are terminated or have blemishes on your record card that could prevent you from rehire.

Not sure what Universal's hiring/rehire policy is, so can't give you tips for that.

Good Luck deciding.

I was hired at a well known, Fortune 100 company two years ago and within a year was promoted to a supervisory role in one of their corporate offices. I don't have a degree. You don't "know for a fact".

I believe that a degree or some type of advanced training can open more doors. It certainly isn't strictly necessary everywhere though.

Just remember who is # 1 on Fortune 100 (or 500) lists;)

1. Wal-Mart Stores $219,812.0 (revenue in millions)
2. Exxon Mobil $191,581.0
3. General Motors $177,260.0
4. Ford Motor $162,412.0
5. Enron $138,718.0
6. General Electric $125,913.0
7. Citigroup $112,022.0
8. ChevronTexaco $99,699.0
9. Intl. Business Machines $85,866.0
10. Philip Morris $72,944.0
11. Verizon Communications $67,190.0
12. American Intl. Group $62,402.0
13. American Electric Power $61,257.0
14. Duke Energy $59,503.0
15. AT&T $59,142.0
16. Boeing $58,198.0
17. El Paso $57,475.0
18. Home Depot $53,553.0
19. Bank of America Corp. $52,641.0
20. Fannie Mae $50,803.0
21. J.P. Morgan Chase $50,429.0
22. Kroger $50,098.0
23. Cardinal Health $47,947.6
24. Merck $47,715.7
25. State Farm Insurance $46,705.2
26. CenterPoint Energy $46,225.8
27. SBC Communications $45,908.0
28. Hewlett-Packard $45,226.0
29. Morgan Stanley $43,727.0
30. Dynegy $42,242.0
31. McKesson $42,010.0
32. Sears Roebuck $41,078.0

I was hired at a well known, Fortune 100 company two years ago and within a year was promoted to a supervisory role in one of their corporate offices. I don't have a degree. You don't "know for a fact".

I do know for a fact at least for 1 person at Disney that they were told they could go no further since they did not have their degree and if they had been hired today they would not have been promoted to as high of a managerial position as they were. This was at Disney in Florida.

I'm not disputing you it does happen sometimes at other places, but not usually and who are you supervising? can you go higher? and do you have no additional training past hs?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter