Please Put Epcot Out Of Its Misery!

I'm in the minority here.
I have absolutely no interest in seeing Soarin'.

I loved the Seas before (I'm a huge sucker for a thousand leagues under the sea) But it was good they got rid of the movie... I do agree though, that they seem to be having a hard time keeping the tanks full and interesting.

Captain EO was a welcome change, seeing the same movie for 10 years? at least made me completely bored.

I'm fond of the fact disney is willing to put frontliners in a ride.. Ellen is good and progressive thought for many, although the cellphone she uses in the ride is laughable these days. And I love Eric Idle so going through imagination with figment is a pure pleasure for me!

I'm in the minority here.
I have absolutely no interest in seeing Soarin'.

High 5! :thumbsup2 I can't see Soarin' due to my allergies in the first place, but it looks really, REALLY boring. You wait 100 minutes to see a 5 minute film?!?! :confused3

I totally agree with this and your original post. In my opinion, Disney needs to focus less on building more DVCs and put some more money into Epcot.

Also laughable are those so "above" Universal and refuse to compare. Oh well, let 'em go on Ellen's Energy Adventure for the 15th time, I'll be having fun checking out Hogwarts!
But that's the thing ... you're not comparing Epcot to "Universal Studios" -- you're comparing it to "Hogwarts". Walk out of WWoHP for a second and look at the REST of IOA and Universal. They're just as much in need of an update, rehab, and refresh as parts of Epcot. But because Universal has Harry Potter, people forgive them everything else. People go to WWoHP because it's the new part. It's the flashy, themed, "most Disney-like" part. The rest of the park is what they do when they're done at Hogsmeade. If they even decide to GO to the rest of the park.

Universal isn't putting money into any other part of IOA right now, and is building one new ride (Despicable Me) at US. They've closed Jaws (thank you!) and haven't announced anything there yet. Nevermind that Jurassic Park, Seuss Island, Superhero Island, Barney-land (really ... Barney? Is he even on TV any more?), Feivel's Playland (do kids know who HE is?) and several other areas are in sore need of something new.

If you don't want to spend time at Future World, don't. There's certainly more than enough other stuff to see, ride and watch. But don't give Universal a pass simply because they have Harry Potter. Wander through the REST of IOA and US, and then judge its level of upkeep against all of WDW. Then you can make a more apples to apples comparison.

:earsboy:

The only rides I ride at Epcot are Test Track, Spaceship Earth, and Living With the Land. My thoughts:

GET RID OF THE HORRID (temporary) THING CALLED TEST TRACK ALL STARS. They said it would be better then staring at the wall, but TBH I'd rather look at the wall.

Make something useful for Wonders of Life. The building creeps me out for one, and who wants to learn about health at Disney? I know Body Wars and Cranium Command can still be in operation with the flick of a switch, but the pavillion is a pile of junk now. Body Wars for one made people disgusted and some even barfing, plus The Making of Me led to abortions (I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. UPDATE: Thanks to ZehnJahren for correcting me). It's time to put this building out of it's event headquaters and into a new pavillion. IMO making it a pavillion about computers and technology presented by Microsoft would be cool!

Close Mission Space. This ride has had problems from soft opening. Unless you go for the super tame Green Team, you're gonna have a headache for the rest of the day. Make Horizons 2.0 or something like that.

Turn Ellen's Energy Adventure into The Big Bang Theroy. As someone said on another page, retheme Ellen into The Big Bang Theroy. Perhaps Sheldon's Energy Adventure?

Retheme Soarin to Florida. I still haven't been on Soarin thanks to the scents (might affect my allergies), but retheme it to Florida, and for pete's sake TURN IT INTO HD!!!!

Put Imagination out of it's misery. Bring back the original Imagination and Imageworks, and put something with Phineas and Ferb in Captain EO.

Add more rides to WS. Sure, the WS atmosphere is great, but I need more rides and not the 2 lousy boat rides.

You have great suggestions! :cheer2:

I think Soarin' is an awesome ride, despite poor quality of the film. All they would have to do is re-shoot the existing film in HD, or create a new film.

I address "HD" below, but yes, a new film would be fun.

Retheme Soarin to Florida. I still haven't been on Soarin thanks to the scents (might affect my allergies), but retheme it to Florida, and for pete's sake TURN IT INTO HD!!!!

Omnimax film (Soarin's visual format) is of much, much higher quality than "HD."
Today's digital projectors and HD "digital movie" images are no match for high-speed large-format film images, when projected to such an immense size as the Soarin' screen.

- Soarin' is still a great ride, but the quality of the movie is starting to age. Perhaps its time to make it a digital theater, then the quality of the prints shouldn't be an issue.

It would be so very (comparatively) inexpensive to thread up fresh and clean new prints of the film every few months.
(And, clean the dome screens.)
The Soarin' images would look as pristine and clear as the day the show opened.

I can't see Soarin' due to my allergies in the first place, but it looks really, REALLY boring. You wait 100 minutes to see a 5 minute film?!?! :confused3

And, THAT's why Disney is not too worried about making any
"updates/changes/imprpvements" to Soarin'

It is staggeringly popular, just as it sits.

Watching that musical performance outside of Test Track was the last straw. Epcot needs help, STAT! The evidence is overwhelming:

- Soarin' is still good, but it's a shell of what it was. A grainy film on a dirty screen does not compel me to stand in line for an hour. In this age of HD and digital, there's no excuse why this film has to look like garbage

Why are you waiting an hour for Soarin'? It's a wonderful ride, the film should be changed up.

- The whole Test Track refurb fiasco, punctuated by the hastily thrown-together Test Track singers - somewhere Up With People is laughing hysterically

How is it a fiasco? It may seem like it was hastily thrown together but I heard about the refurb like a month or two ago. Sure it wasn't formally announced by Disney, but it was not hastily thrown together.

- Ellen's Energy Adventure is now the best place to catch an air-conditioned nap in all of WDW

It's a good edu-tainment ride, which is what Epcot is about. I think it is time for a refurb/redo or something yet but it's not horrible.

- Habit Heroes shut down in less than a month - wait, you mean mocking kids isn't what we do here at WDW?

Okay, did you actually go into Habit Heroes? Did ya see the attraction? From what I heard they weren't mocking kids. It was just some overreacting parents, complaining to WDW about it. Much like other parts of innoventions, they are trying to educate. Get kids off the couch, and being healthy. I bet you it was the parents who let video games and TV babysit their children. I heard there was potential there and it needed to be worked on maybe, but I don't think it was a horrible idea.

-
- The Imagination Pavilion is a complete waste of space

- Body Wars Pavilion is still empty

Once again I'll agree with this, Imagination pavilion needs work. Captian EO, goes. Change up Journey into imagination. It wasn't a bad ride but not great. We all know the original version is best.

The ONLY thing that has been consistently interesting and worth-while at Epcot over the last few years has been the World Showcase. When your park has the name "Future World", you shouldn't ever be outdated.

Either Epcot needs a complete makeover, or it should be plowed under and become a giant World Showcase. Add in some countries like Russia, Australia, Brazil, etc. That's at least more interesting than watching Alex Trebek banter with Bill Nye the Science Guy.

Epcot - time to step up. Universal has Harry Potter. You have Figment and the Test Track Five. Think about it:furious:

Okay, over reacting a bit much here? Work is needed, but WDI can't just flip a switch to overhaul everything. Incase you forgot they are in the middle of the BIGGEST expansion in recent MK History. New Fantasy land has taken years and years to do. They need money for that and right now their focus is that. The TT refurb is a step in the right direction to getting Future world back in the right direction but it's going to take time.

You didn't say it but I'm surprised you didn't say let's throw horizons back in there, it almost sounds close to a rant like that and anyone who thinks it, we need to move on. Horizons is GONE. Move on.

The comparison of WWoHP to Epcot, is completely insane! Don't get me wrong I love Harry Potter and I've been to WWoHP at IoA. Your comparing apples to oranges. Your comparing an entertainment experience of a book/movie franchise to an edutainment theme park. Your argument confuses and baffles me.

We've just scratched the surface at World Showcase - frankly, I think of it more for adults. Our kids have no interest in shopping and eating around the world - so except for Maelstrom and The Three Cabbaleros, we'll save it for an adult trip.

Epcot has been my girls 2nd favorite parks (after MK) since they were 2 and 5. They would never dream of missing it. Here's what they love about World Showcase:
  • getting their passport stamped at each country
  • seeing the acrobats in China
  • watching the juggler in Italy
  • doing the Kimpossible (soon to be P&F) missions
  • Listening to the music in many countries
  • characters like Mary Poppins, Aladdin, Beast, Marie, and the princesses
  • watching the pick a pearl in Japan
  • the clock and the train in Germany
  • watching the candy artist in Japan
  • Biergarten
  • the drums at the outpost
  • the phone booth in the UK
  • Gran Fiesta and Maelstrom
  • Akershus

We hardly ever have time to do everything, especially with all the stuff in FW to do too.

I agree with a lot in this post, it's sad to watch Epcot fall to the state it is.

I love Epcot for World Showcase and the variety of foods and experiencing people and cultures that you don't normally have so much access to.

But future world needs a lot of love and I don't think Disney has it as close to the top of the priority list as I would like.

Personally, I've never understood how Disney didn't come up with some way to keep "Body Wars" operational. Especially now with "Test Track" being down for so long, I would LOVE if they would re-open "Body Wars" to soak up some of the crowds who'd normally be waiting in line for that ride, so the wait for "Soarin'" doesn't get too ridiculous (like how they re-opened "Horizons" back when "Ellen's Energy Adventure" and the original "Test Track" were being constructed). Didn't "Body Wars" officially stop operating back in 2007? That wasn't too long ago, perhaps it's still in-tact?

Epcot's always been my favorite of the parks. I was there in 2010 for the first time since 2000, which meant this was my first time experiencing "Mission: Space", "Soarin'", the current "Imagination" pavilion (when I was there in 2000 I rode the thankfully short-lived "Journey Into YOUR Imagination" version), "The Seas With Nemo & Friends", and my second time doing "Test Track" (which was brand-spankin' new last time I was there). I had a great time, but I will admit that it just didn't have the same "feel" as I remembered. I hate to admit it, but I agree with whatever previous poster said that Epcot may be their favorite park based solely on the nostalgia factor, as opposed to anything they actually have there currently.

Exactly! Does anyone really think people come to Epcot to watch Ellen dream about Alex Trebek?!?

Soarin' should be WAY more spectacular than it already is. The potential is almost unthinkable. But therein lies Future World's problem - potential is not being translated into reality. I'm telling you - turn the Imagination Pavilion into Phineas and Ferb's back yard! Get rid of Michael Jackson!

What I wouldn't touch - the Seas. Perfect for what it's supposed to be.

World Showcase is almost perfect, but too small. There's plenty of room to expand behind what is there now. How about adding a few more countries and then adding a coaster/peoplemover type thing that travels around the whole lagoon?

I cannot stand the characters of Phineas and Ferb! So, what would be wonderful to you is abhorrent to me. Disney can't please everyone, and while I wish they would get rid of Capt. EO, please do not replace it with obnoxious little twerps! I do like your idea of a people mover in WS. That would be awesome!

What I find extremely laughable is the fact that someone said Mission Space was better in the 80's!! When it first opened in 2003 LOL!! And noone else seemed to notice that!!
Besides that yes EPCOT as well as other parks need updating. However what to upgrade and what to leave alone for nostalgia is a fine line. The thing is when a ride is up and running we complain it needs to be fixed, when a ride is down for refurb we complain because we wanted to ride it on that visit. How Can Disney WIN? I think right now while they are focused on improving Most of Magic Kingdom, not just the new addition we should be thankful I am sure it is a never ending battle for Disney to keep up with all the maintenance and compaired to other "parks" I think they do a great job!! After Magic Kingdom Im sure another park will get an overhaul, lets hope its EPCOT. EPCOT has alot of potential and unused areas, Im sure someone somewhere is working on this whether we know it or not.

I agree with most of this post. It seems Disney can't win. They can't move fast enough. They don't make the right decisions. But, as I said before, with so many opinions, any decision they make will be the wrong one for one group or another. I do love the idea of Big Bang characters taking over Ellen's attraction. (If the same writers for the show wrote the script.)

jhaig said:
World Showcase is almost perfect, but too small. There's plenty of room to expand behind what is there now. How about adding a few more countries and then adding a coaster/peoplemover type thing that travels around the whole lagoon?
I'm not so sure about that. There's parking and storage behind Mexico/Norway/China; there's a road behind the south end of World Showcase - Germany, Italy, United States, etc. - close enough that you can see the backs of the pavilions from the buses, especially in winter; and Yacht & Beach Clubs behind England and Canada.

Yes, there's room for expansion - but not "a lot of" room.

CentralFloridian99 said:
Make something useful for Wonders of Life. The building creeps me out for one, and who wants to learn about health at Disney? I know Body Wars and Cranium Command can still be in operation with the flick of a switch,
As far as I know, not any longer. Everything's been disassembled. Flicking switches won't make a difference.

But Cranium Command would be more entertaining (and appropriate?) in Imagination than Captain EO.

I don't like the idea of a TTA-type thing in WS. I think it would not be visually appealing.

Why go back to Disney World if you find so many things wrong with it? The reason why they don't update more is because people will probably complain and throw tantrums when they do update stuff.

Watching that musical performance outside of Test Track was the last straw. Epcot needs help, STAT! The evidence is overwhelming:

- Soarin' is still good, but it's a shell of what it was. A grainy film on a dirty screen does not compel me to stand in line for an hour. In this age of HD and digital, there's no excuse why this film has to look like garbage

- The whole Test Track refurb fiasco, punctuated by the hastily thrown-together Test Track singers - somewhere Up With People is laughing hysterically

- Mission Space, while still cool, makes people vomit

- Ellen's Energy Adventure is now the best place to catch an air-conditioned nap in all of WDW

- Habit Heroes shut down in less than a month - wait, you mean mocking kids isn't what we do here at WDW?

- The Imagination Pavilion is a complete waste of space

- Body Wars Pavilion is still empty

- When you ask you kids what they enjoyed most at Future World, and they say Living With the Land, it's time to re-evaluate things

The ONLY thing that has been consistently interesting and worth-while at Epcot over the last few years has been the World Showcase. When your park has the name "Future World", you shouldn't ever be outdated.

Either Epcot needs a complete makeover, or it should be plowed under and become a giant World Showcase. Add in some countries like Russia, Australia, Brazil, etc. That's at least more interesting than watching Alex Trebek banter with Bill Nye the Science Guy.

Epcot - time to step up. Universal has Harry Potter. You have Figment and the Test Track Five. Think about it:furious:

I still enjoy Epcot, but you make a very persuasive argument. I agree that it could use some work. It's definitely NOT the future anymore and hasn't been for a long time.

I never understood the fascination with Test Track. Don't get me wrong... its cool but it comes off like a lame thrill ride. I love Space Ship Earth. For some reason that never gets old to me.:goodvibes

I think if the old Journey to Imagination Ride and Imageworks were around, kids would have a lot more to look forward to. That pavilion was always packed with kids having a great time. It was a great way to spend an hour. Even the jumping fountains are tired and look very unsanitary. Back in the 80's and 90's, kids were all over them, getting splashed and having a great time.

And there was no reason to get rid of everything in the Wonders of Life. Okay, the Cranium Command would be really old now - who even remembers Hans and Franz :lmao: But the hypothalumus is still part of our family vernacular - "blink blink breathe breathe" - whenever we want to describe something that is boring or just going through the motions.

Body Wars - same as Star Tours - not based on a movie, would still be really popular. All the sports stuff, demonstrations, Sport Goofy cartoons, and yes, The Making of Me - all good content.

Oh yeah, Kitchen Kabaret was always busy and a lot of fun. Why couldn't that still be there? Why do we need that Circle of Life movie, I never see anyone in there but tour groups.

Future World is still probably my most favorite place to be at night in all of WDW. The music, the lights, the overall feel is wonderful but it's probably just as much nostalgia as it is reality. Oh, how I miss the Future World that once was. Don't blow it up, just fix it. Take it back to the experience it once was, when it was mostly all kid and family attractions.

Op, I gotta go with you on this.
Tons of empty space simply going to waste.

Love Soarin but you are absolutely right. In todays age of digital technology why are we looking at a screen that's cracking. Heck, the company owns it's own movie division.

And I will not even begin to mention that God awful, waste of time and energy that is Captain EO. That is such an insult to paying guest.

Interestingly enough, I just had a coworker return from wdw yesterday. they went over spring break here in Jersey. They had a great time but the one adjective they used to describe Epcot was OLD. She said her and her dh felt that the park was "outdated".... they enjoyed world showcase but with 2 kids they just felt all the attractions were old.

Agreed, I was tempted to start a post on this myself before I saw yours

Given Test Track will be closed for the summer season we'll probably be giving the park a miss this summer. its a sweet park I suppose but without a "major" attraction (IMHO) I dont think the kids will be interested. Theres certainly not enough of a draw for me.

It'll be interesting to see how it hits park attendance. I remember when a Disney mate of mine told me about the time a few years ago when they decided to cancel certain weekday EPCOT fireworks shows. He said they predicted people would hop across to MK for those instead. However what happened was a massive drop in revenue (merch and food) as people just decided to go back their hotels.

I just think Disney shoud have thought this through and planned for something new at EPCOT before closing TT for the summer season.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter