Please...look over what I will be tipping

MandyMommytoReaghan

Mouseketeer
:sunny: Hi Everyone! I am a list for things for our upcoming cruise. I am working on tips. I thought I would pay the recommended amount by DCL and then add with the international calling cards. Does this sound like a good idea?For those of you who have cruised, please look at the amount I plan on tipping and let me know if this is right. It will be a 3 night cruise with 5 persons.
Dining Room Server $11.00......x 5 persons $55.00
Dingin Room Assistant Server $8.00.....x5 persons $40.00
Dining Room Head Server $2.75........x5 persons $13.75
Stateroom Host/Hostess $10.75.......x5 persons $53.75......totaling $162.50.
Is this correct? Please let me know. Also, have you found it easier to pay with a credit card at guest services the night before you disembark or take cash for their tips? TIA :goodvibes

Looks good! It is so easy though to just go to Guest Services and have them tip the recommended amount to your stateroom account. If you feel a CM has gone above and beyond, you can have them tip additional from Guest Services or hand deliver something additional like the calling cards, cash, etc.

I don't know what the CMs prefer though. Anyone know if charging it to your room is worse for them because of taxes, etc?

I asked our server several cruises ago about cash vs. charging thru Guest Services. He said that it really doesn't make any difference. DCL does not withhold a handling charge or anything (I wanted to be sure he got the full amount). If you do the charge thing, he gets the slips on tip night and a check every 2 weeks. That is helpful because he doesn't have to worry about losing cash or whatever.

As far as the tax situation, that is totally up to the country they are from. The ship is registered in the Bahamas which imposes no taxes. They are on their own to be honest about whatever taxes their home country might impose while they are living and working out of their country. It seems that for most of them, this is no taxes.

As to the phone cards, most CMs now have cell phones, so the calling cards are not the great idea they were a few years ago. Most would appreciate a few dollars more rather than a calling card.

You have calculated the amounts correctly for the recommended. You might want to consider having a few dollar bills on hand to tip room service.

We find it easiest to charge the recommended tips. You can actually do this early in the cruise to avoid the last night crowds at Guest Services. Then, if you feel that someone deserves more, add a little cash to their envelope as well as the charge stub.

;) Thanks so much for your input! I think now instead of phone cards, a few more $$ might be better. I had not thought that they may have cell phones. I am going to definetly charge the night before at guest services. Hopefully not everyone will have my idea on that certain night to do the same thing. :goodvibes Thanks again for checking what I plan to tip. Have a great day!

You can also charge your tips at Guest Services any time during the cruise--you don't have to wait till the last evening (avoid the crowds.) Then, if you decide to increase the tips, you can always add a little cash.

hello i was just wondering is the recommanded tips for a 3, 4 0r 7 night cruise? Does it make a difference? thanks

This website link has been posted before but I thought I would post it again....it calculates the tips for the major cruise lines....you just fill in the variables and it caluclates the correct tips. The recommended tip amounts are pre programmed into the calaculator so it is accurate. You of course, can add to it if so desired!!!

http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/

It even can break down the exact demoniations needed for each envelope!!!

MJ

That tip caculater is amazing. Someone knew what they were doing when they made that. Thanks for the tip.

Frank

For a 7-night cruise, the tip amounts are different. If I remember correctly, they are as follows:

Head Server----- $6.75 per person
Server ----------$20.75 per person
Asst Server -----$18.75 per person
Stateroom Host -$20.25 per person

hello i was just wondering is the recommanded tips for a 3, 4 0r 7 night cruise? Does it make a difference? thanks
The following amounts are PER GUEST (including children) for THE ENTIRE cruise). This is from DCL's web site.

What about gratuities? (September 2004)
We'll make it easy. It is customary to give gratuities in recognition of service, which you will most likely be treated to in abundance aboard the ship. As a guideline, may we suggest the following:

Per Guest per cruise______3-Night____4-Night____7-Night
......Dining Room Server___11.00______14.75______25.75
Dining Room Asst. Server____8.00______10.75______18.75
.Dining Room Head Server____2.75_______3.75_______6.50
..Stateroom Host/Hostess___10.75______14.50______25.25

Dining Manager: Your Discretion
Room Service: Your Discretion
Palo: Gratuity Included (this is new - May 2005) (BUT many of us here are VERY, VERY suspect of this - I would tip over and above the "service charge" for Palo)
Vista Spa and Salon - Your Discretion
Babysitting: Gratuity NOT expected
Shore Excurisions: Optional; NOT included in shore excursion price (if you tip, you will want to have some cash with you tip your excursion operators)

How do I find the current tipping guide?
Go to the DCL web site and do a search. Be sure to search for "Gratuities" NOT tip. Then to FAQ and onto the topic "What about gratuities?"

cruzings said:
For a 7-night cruise, the tip amounts are different. If I remember correctly, they are as follows:

Head Server----- $6.75 per person
Server ----------$20.75 per person
Asst Server -----$18.75 per person
Stateroom Host -$20.25 per person

I believe these are old amounts.....according to jrabbit's recent post....the tip calculator is correct.

What do people tip the dining manager? Do people tip the dining manager? Do they only tip the dining manager if s/he provides some sort of extra service?

Kungaloosh!
Morticia.

Question- Is there only 1 head server or matre de?
If so, at 6.75 a passanger x 1750 = $11,812 per week in tips?
Is it just me or is he making a decent living?
:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

rbork said:
Question- Is there only 1 head server or matre de?
If so, at 6.75 a passanger x 1750 = $11,812 per week in tips?
Is it just me or is he making a decent living?
:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:
I believe that there are 2 head servers per restaurant(3). With a "maximum" capacity of the ship being around 2500 guests and there are 3 restaurants therefor about 415 guests per head server (@ $6.50 / person / week works out to be about $2,700 - and yeah, that still looks like a lot, BUT not everyone tips and my guess is that the head server gets skipped even more often than the regular servers)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter