please I dont want this to get political just venting

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is the Associated Press biased? Or Reuters? I thought both were generally considered as hard news reporting with a lack of bias?
AP and Reuters (and a few other actual journalistic organizations) do actual hard news reporting. So do a few of the newspapers, especially regarding local news. Our own Miami Herald did an incredible job with their Jeffrey Epstein investigative reporting, and blew the whole sleazy thing up. But you will often see both reporter bias and editorial bias with any of them.

I personally distrust all news media (and all politicians), and the further they are either left or right the more I distrust them.

I read a wide variety of sources, but not the nut-case sites on either side. I look at Fox News, MSNBC, and CNN only for comic relief.

For political news, I actually like Politico (which does some hard news reporting) and Real Clear Politics better than traditional news sources. Politico is liberal, but presents both sides; RCP is conservative, but presents both sides. And both sites seem pretty honest to me.

YMMV.

Not necessarily WI, but when polling places are closed, and people have to wait hours on line (up to 6 vote), work certainly affects people's ability to vote. and this happens in different parts of the country every Election Day

Oh. So you are saying that there aren’t as many polling places as there were? Was that for this time or has that been happening?

Oh. So you are saying that there aren’t as many polling places as there were? Was that for this time or has that been happening?

What happened in WI is that they reconsidered the polling places depending on layout. They scrambled to find a lot of mostly large high school gyms where it was easy to have one entrance and one exit such that people didn't need to walk by each other. I thought that Milwaukee was reduced to maybe 5 polling places where there would normally be over 100.

So, do you have evidence that this did not happen as filmed? If it did, there would have been a big uproar about the dishonesty of "film editing" by both the polling station and/or other media. There was none. It was instead, buried and not reported on by other outlets.
Project Veritas, the group who made this video, is known to make deceptive videos. Maybe there was no “uproar” because it’s already known that the group participates in misleading stories. It was covered, by the way. Here’s an article from The Atlantic that discusses this video: https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...fes-latest-target-eric-holders-ballot/329579/

What, exactly, does the video prove?

What happened in WI is that they reconsidered the polling places depending on layout. They scrambled to find a lot of mostly large high school gyms where it was easy to have one entrance and one exit such that people didn't need to walk by each other. I thought that Milwaukee was reduced to maybe 5 polling places where there would normally be over 100.

Ok I get it. Thanks. So they changed the places to be able to conform to social distancing. But it caused a back up and that in turn makes it hard for working folks to vote.

Not really directed anywhere but just sort of incredulous: And so why can't this be done outside? Every town has some sort of central square where street fairs and all are held or at the very least high school/ college/ pro sports stadiums with a track . THEY already manage crowd control - it's not possible that voting can't be moved to these secure yet open space venues which can carefully control traffic flow and tons of parking. Maybe instead of 1 day do it 4 -6 and have odd address/even address days like the gas lines in the 70's.

It's not like anyone is rushing there in the next month so the space can decontaminate of its own accord.

Not really directed anywhere but just sort of incredulous: And so why can't this be done outside? Every town has some sort of central square where street fairs and all are held or at the very least high school/ college/ pro sports stadiums with a track .
LOL No, they don't.

And so why can't this be done outside? Every town has some sort of central square where street fairs and all are held or at the very least high school/ college/ pro sports stadiums with a track . THEY already manage crowd control - it's not possible that voting can't be moved to these secure yet open space venues which can carefully control traffic flow. Maybe instead of 1 day do it 4 -6 and have odd address/even address days like the gas lines in the 70's
Why can’t you just do the mail-in so people can do this at their convenience and not have to reconfigure their schedules? I remember waiting several hours in the gas lines my parents were assigned. That would be pretty backwards. Aaaaand going outside to vote in Wisconsin in November isn’t that appealing.

Ok I get it. Thanks. So they changed the places to be able to conform to social distancing. But it caused a back up and that in turn makes it hard for working folks to vote.
They had far fewer polling places, which I reported up thread... Milwaukee usually has 180, vs 5 this time. Milwaukee's population is just under 600K!!!

They had far fewer polling places, which I reported up thread... Milwaukee usually has 180, vs 5 this time. Milwaukee's population is just under 600K!!!

Yeah I get the problem. I mean I also see why they did it if they couldn’t cancel or postpone. But I see why it was a problem.

Yeah I get the problem. I mean I also see why they did it if they couldn’t cancel or postpone. But I see why it was a problem.
Closed polling places leading to long lines isn't specific to the pandemic in WI though. Hundreds of polling places have closed in the past few years, leading to hours-long lines on a normal voting day.

Not really directed anywhere but just sort of incredulous: And so why can't this be done outside? Every town has some sort of central square where street fairs and all are held or at the very least high school/ college/ pro sports stadiums with a track . THEY already manage crowd control - it's not possible that voting can't be moved to these secure yet open space venues which can carefully control traffic flow and tons of parking. Maybe instead of 1 day do it 4 -6 and have odd address/even address days like the gas lines in the 70's.

It's not like anyone is rushing there in the next month so the space can decontaminate of its own accord.
Regardless of whether an area has an outdoor space or not you would have to battle the weather which already impacts people going to the polls when they are inside. Population is another thing. I think people tend to think it's all small towns out there but it's not (speaking towards your odd/even address aspect).

A few pertinent details:

The Governor and the Senate/House are NOT the same party. Governor is Dem, Sen/House both Republican.

The Governor stated many times pre-election, with confirmation from legal, that changing the date would result in nothing more than a court fight. There was no possible way the WI State Supreme Court was going to let this go through.

However, up until the DAY BEFORE the election, we (the voters of WI) were going to be allowed a later date for the by-mail ballots to be collected and counted (almost a week more). This had come from an appellate court that said there was no mechanism to change the date of the election, but the court did allow the extended timeline for absentee ballots. The Republican Senate/House fought the Democratic Governor's executive order to delay the election until June in the WI Supreme Court. This new struck down the DAY BEFORE the election. Also the day before the US Supreme Court struck down the extension date for the absentee ballots. This was HUGELY important because our various state offices had been inundated with absentee ballots because of Covid 19. I'm talking hundreds of thousands more than is usual. WI citizens did not want to vote in person!

In addition to that mess, there were thousands of poll workers not willing to work. Without poll workers you can't have as many polling places. And all those hundreds of thousands of people who had applied for the absentee ballots, who had their absentee ballots, but no longer trusted the system because of the back-and-forth that been going on for weeks, wanted to vote on election day rather than take a chance that their ballot wouldn't be received in time to be counted. Myself included. So, we all showed up at the polls... the greatly reduced number of polls...

The Governor called a special session the weekend before the election, but it was immediately gaveled closed. He tried to work with the other side and they would not even discuss the matter. And his legal team was correct - him signing an executive order would simply get thrown out in court. The appellate court had already said there was no mechanism to change the date.

So, as I said - a cluster. But this can not be put on the Governor's head. The only way this election could have been delayed is if the Republican Senate and House would have agreed to the change. They wouldn't even attend the special session.

Closed polling places leading to long lines isn't specific to the pandemic in WI though. Hundreds of polling places have closed in the past few years, leading to hours-long lines on a normal voting day.

So this has been going on for some time. Any reasons given as to why?

No way am I voting outside in Wisconsin. It was nice this April on election day, but there was snow on the ground in November and last April on election day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter