PLEASE HELP with banking points!

Boardwalk529

Mouseketeer
hi, everyone. I am a new member (5/12) and am still trying to learn how things work. I had a vacation booked for January 2013 in which I used the remainder of my 2012 pts and borrowed some from 2013 to complete (I have a March use year). I somehow just learned after cancelling 2 nights that the points were returned to my 2012 year, and it's too late to bank these points (it says I can bank 0%). Now, since March is my use year, do I have to book a vacation with these points by March for them to not go to waste, or do I have to COMPLETE A VACATION with these points by March? I really hope this makes sense. I thought it would be too confusing to discuss over the phone. Please help! I'm hoping I don't have to travel a second time by March!

You need to complete a vacation on or before February 28, 2013. Note, that DVD has in the past allowed a once-in-your-life banking that is outside of allowed deadline, particularly for new owners who may not have been that familiar with rules; DVD is not required to do that but members have reported being able to do so in the past through Member Services.

We have a March UY. Any points left in the 2012 UY have to be USED before March 1, 2013. That's not what you wanted to hear, I know. MS has been known to give a 1 time special to each membership when it you are allowed to do something not normally allowed. I don't know if you have enough points at risk to ask for one of these special cases.

hi, everyone. I am a new member (5/12) and am still trying to learn how things work. I had a vacation booked for January 2013 in which I used the remainder of my 2012 pts and borrowed some from 2013 to complete (I have a March use year). I somehow just learned after cancelling 2 nights that the points were returned to my 2012 year, and it's too late to bank these points (it says I can bank 0%). Now, since March is my use year, do I have to book a vacation with these points by March for them to not go to waste, or do I have to COMPLETE A VACATION with these points by March? I really hope this makes sense. I thought it would be too confusing to discuss over the phone. Please help! I'm hoping I don't have to travel a second time by March!

Pretty sure you have to use these points by March 1. That means you would have to complete a vacation by then. You could call MS and explain your situation and hope they grant you an exception for banking if you can't travel before then. It depends on who you talk to, some CMs are more lenient than others, sometimes they get a supervisor to make an exception.

Good luck!

ughh that is DEFINITELY not what I wanted to hear. We'd be losing 33 points, which doesn't sound like a lot, but our contract is only 100. And I really don't want to fly down there twice in a 3 month period. I'll call and hope that they make an exception :sad1:

Good news...they let me bank them still! I was so relieved. The CM I spoke to was so nice about it and extremely helpful. I contacted a manager after to give a good word for him. Now I just have to study the rules a little more so this doesn't happen again!

Good news...they let me bank them still! I was so relieved. The CM I spoke to was so nice about it and extremely helpful. I contacted a manager after to give a good word for him. Now I just have to study the rules a little more so this doesn't happen again!

Great!

Wonderful news!! It would just make me sick to lose even 1 point but to lose 33 would be horrible. Glad you called!!

Sounds good. But you probably used your once in a lifetime get out of jail free card on those 33 points. Be real careful in the future.

Sounds good. But you probably used your once in a lifetime get out of jail free card on those 33 points. Be real careful in the future.

Agree. Personally I would have thought twice about using the once-in-a-lifetime exception on 33 points. Other alternatives would include changing the reservation to a more expensive resort, a more expensive view, larger room, renting the points, gifting them to a friend, etc.

Make sure you brush-up on the rules or it may be more than 33 points lost next time. Don't count on any Disney "pixie dust" to fix a future problem. Aside from this once-in-a-lifetime exception, Disney typically adheres rigidly to the DVC point management rules. They won't even bend the rules for an unexpected injury, illness or death in the family.

Agree. Personally I would have thought twice about using the once-in-a-lifetime exception on 33 points. Other alternatives would include changing the reservation to a more expensive resort, a more expensive view, larger room, renting the points, gifting them to a friend, etc.

Make sure you brush-up on the rules or it may be more than 33 points lost next time. Don't count on any Disney "pixie dust" to fix a future problem. Aside from this once-in-a-lifetime exception, Disney typically adheres rigidly to the DVC point management rules. They won't even bend the rules for an unexpected injury, illness or death in the family.

I see where you're coming from, but I'm still glad I did it. 33 points doesn't sound like a lot, but it's 1/3 of my contract. Our flights were already booked so I couldn't extended the trip, and there was no upgrading because we already had a boardwalk view. Also, the CM I spoke to made it seem like they don't always do this for people. I got the feeling that they only are mostly open to doing it for new members. Maybe this is a change, maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.

I see where you're coming from, but I'm still glad I did it. 33 points doesn't sound like a lot, but it's 1/3 of my contract. Our flights were already booked so I couldn't extended the trip, and there was no upgrading because we already had a boardwalk view. Also, the CM I spoke to made it seem like they don't always do this for people. I got the feeling that they only are mostly open to doing it for new members. Maybe this is a change, maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.

Like others stated above they will do this for you one time only whether you are a new member, or member of many years. It is commonly called "once in a lifetime exemption" and unfortunately, you will not get another one for any circumstance again.

Glad you are happy with how things turned out. Enjoy your trip!

Actually, if anyone reads this and can help, I'd really appreciate it. I just read over the guidelines, and I'm confused as to why I was unable to bank ANY of my points. Going by this guideline on ***********, with a March use year the deadlines are:

August 31: 100%

November 30: 50%

December 31: 25%

Jan. 1 – Feb. 28* 0%

So with it being November still, why was I unable to bank any? It should've been 50%, correct?

I am not sure where you got your information (it could be outdated). If you go onto the membership site under MY MEMBERSHIP then ACCOUNT HELP then BANKING DEADLINE you will see a link to a chart that shows when the banking deadline is. For March use year it is October 31st 2012.

I tried to copy and paste the chart but could not.

Actually, if anyone reads this and can help, I'd really appreciate it. I just read over the guidelines, and I'm confused as to why I was unable to bank ANY of my points. Going by this guideline on ***********, with a March use year the deadlines are:

Jan. 1 – Feb. 28* 0%

So with it being November still, why was I unable to bank any? It should've been 50%, correct?
This is very old information. The banking deadlines were changed several years ago. You may now bank 100% of your points for the first 8 months of your use year. There is no banking in the last 4 months of the use year. That means for a March use year, you need to complete your banking transactions by October 31st.

This is very old information. The banking deadlines were changed several years ago. You may now bank 100% of your points for the first 8 months of your use year. There is no banking in the last 4 months of the use year. That means for a March use year, you need to complete your banking transactions by October 31st.

And yet the old information does still exist on the member website. :sad2:

For whatever reason I can't get on the dvc website...it worked last night but won't load now. So, I just googled banking deadlines and that's what came up. I didn't realize the rules changed, but I like the present ones better.

Jan. 1 – Feb. 28* 0%

This looks so confusing.

Having been a member for 3 full years I have only heard about the old banking rules. The current ones are all I know and seem pretty straightforward. Some longtime members have expressed a preference for the old banking rules. Why? Am I missing something?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter