• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please help this triplet mom!

debbiebon

Earning My Ears
I was soooo excited to hear that my parents wanted to take us all on a Disney Cruise - on the Fantasy!!! But they waited too long to book - and there's only one week they are willing to consider (due to my neice and nephew's spring break) . . . and now I'm panicked . . . and breaking out in hives thinking about the odds this works out for us or not. Any and all advice would be very welcomed! I am an experienced cruiser, but never with children! I have triplets who would be 2 months shy of 3 years old. Here's my dilemma . . . no cabins were available to accomodate 5 - so the TA talked my dad into booking one of my kids into their room and said we could just re-adjust on the ship and it will be fine. However, now we are booked into a 5A and I can't figure out how 3 almost 3 year olds would safely sleep. Is this possible? How would you do it? We really need connecting rooms with my parents - and again because the ship is so full, we couldn't get anything guaranteed. The TA put in our requests - but I logged in today with our reservation # and we are assigned cabins on 2 different levels - pretty much as far apart as you can get (1 in the front, one in the back). What are the odds they will move us around so we can at least be closer, if not connected. My brother and his wife are also travelling with us, but their kids are 9 and 12 so they aren't stressed, of course. Triplet 3 year olds will not be easy, but if we are a mile away from the rest of my family (and in a too small room), I'm not sure it's even do-able . . . help! Oh, and of course, we're in second seating and the kids will be too young for OC (and if it's $18/hr for 3 in the nursery, that's not going to happen - and I'm concerned they wouldn't be happy there anyway - sounds like it would be too baby-ish). Any info to tame my hives . . . or do you think it's a bust and we should wait until we can get the planets to allign more easily????????

I think you might enjoy your cruise better if you wait and get a room assignment that works for you, but that doesn't mean that you can't make this work. My Father took my entire family on a cruise and it took two years to get a date that worked for all so I understand the push to just go now that you have a date.

For sleeping, I've seen travel beds that are like pack-n-plays but for toddlers. You could bring them and store them under the bed in the daytime?

Wait for more replies from others, you will get a ton of good ideas.

Personally, I would wait until the planets realign, getting the safely to sleep is one issue the other is occupying them through the cruise without financially ruining you!

Just move the cruise back until the following year until you are happy with the solution. Otherwise it could be alot of money wasted.;)

Thanks for the replies thus far. I should mention . . . I was so excited and over-the-moon thinking about the trip . . . and the looks on my little ones' faces . . . they LOVE all things Disney - especially Mickey and the gang! It wasn't until I tried to work out the logistics in my head that I got overwhelmed and anxious. And I do think this seems like a better fit for their ages that a park-based trip. So if there is a way to do it, I really want to . . . but I want to be realistic too . . . and if it will likely be more stressful than it's worth, then I just need to face it, like it or not . . .

Also I don't think we'd have them in any of the clubs if they were older - it's our vacation with them (and we will have grandparents and aunt/uncle to help us out some and give us some breaks for things we might want to do for a little bit without kids . . . but I really have a hard time imagining being away from their wide-eyed, awed little faces during the trip anyway!!).

debbiebon said:
Thanks for the replies thus far. I should mention . . . I was so excited and over-the-moon thinking about the trip . . . and the looks on my little ones' faces . . . they LOVE all things Disney - especially Mickey and the gang! It wasn't until I tried to work out the logistics in my head that I got overwhelmed and anxious. And I do think this seems like a better fit for their ages that a park-based trip. So if there is a way to do it, I really want to . . . but I want to be realistic too . . . and if it will likely be more stressful than it's worth, then I just need to face it, like it or not . . .

Also I don't think we'd have them in any of the clubs if they were older - it's our vacation with them (and we will have grandparents and aunt/uncle to help us out some and give us some breaks for things we might want to do for a little bit without kids . . . but I really have a hard time imagining being away from their wide-eyed, awed little faces during the trip anyway!!).

Are they potty trained? The club let my niece (who was 2 months shy of 3) go there, because she was potty-trained. She didn't stay as long as the older ones in our group...but it was fun for her when she was there, and my brother then didn't have to pay for the nursery that was too "babyish" for her.

Our 3 grandkids traveled with our daughter and her DH on our last cruise. We were on one deck and they were 2 decks above us. At bedtime one of the kids (10, 8 and 4) would come and sleep in our room. There were a couple of nights that no one slept in our room. Kids don't usually have a problem sharing beds. They usually adapt much better than the parents do. I wouldn't worry about it. Have fun!

What a wonderful opportunity! Sorry it causing you stress!

On the sleeping arrangements, I would either plan on having two of them share the couch bed (at that age they could easily fit sleeping toe to toe) and having one on the upper bunk ( you can ask your stateroom host for extra bedrails), or have one sleep in bed with you (I know at that age my kids always ended up in bed with us!)

DCL does keep a waitlist for early dining, so have your TA add you to that.

Whether we had early or late seating we always had down time late in the afternoon, where we would all come to back to the room, have a snack and a nap (even when my kids outgrew their regular naps, they were so worn out they usually fell asleep for a bit, leaving them ready to enjoy the evening).

As far as the kids club go, as above, if they are potty trained they will most likely be allowed to stay. If you dont want to leave them, they do have open house times everyday where the parents take the kids and stay with them.

Hope you are able to work everything out and have a great cruise!!

The cruise is March 2013 - in your experience, is it likely people could have holds on cabins that they don't end up booking, or cancel trips before final payment and, perhaps, we might end up being able to secure connecting rooms (or at least closer rooms)? It's a very popular cruise as it's over spring break and VERY full, so I wondered if I dare hope something like that could happen . . .

Obviously you know your family best and know what will work and what won't, but maybe you could have them sleep on the floor. You could even use the mattress from the pack and play for a cushion. This would allow you to have peace of mind that they won't fall out, but of course they can also get up at anytime (not sure if they can or will be able to do this at home yet). Another idea would be to use one pack and play against the veranda door and another against the couch. The 3rd child could them sleep on the couch. A 3rd idea (and admittedly the most uncomfortable for the adults) would be to have the 3 kids sleep in the bed (with rails) and have mom & dad sleep on the couch and bunk.

I guess what I am thinking is that if you really want to go it is very doable as likely your triplets will be so tired that there will not be near the fuss at bedtime you may imagine, but if this is not the way you want to vacation then it is understandable.

One plus to cruising at this age is that it will be much cheaper than once they turn 3. I priced the difference on our upcoming cruise and it was $600 cheaper for DS since he was 2. Multiply that by 3 and you are saving a lot of money.

This year we did the Magic with a 4 year old and a 2 year old (birthday cruise for both). I think you can make this work if you bring on some of your own gear. Have one child sleep on the couch converted to a bed. Bring with you two inflatable toddler beds. They should fit on the floor side by side in front of the couch. Deflate them daily and re-inflate before bed. Ask for the room stewart to take the coffee table and the desk "chair" out of the room for space. Store the beds under the desk thingy.

Don't worry that family isn't close. You have wave phones and will meet up with each other. Maybe one child will even want a "sleepover" with the grandparents.

My girls didn't go to the OC. My big one wouldn't go without her younger sister. They are total BFFL! It was fine. We went to open houses. From time to time, my mother watched them so DH and I could do something for ourselves (Palo).

Late dinner might be a challenge. Do your kids still nap? Mine would not nap in the room but didn't have a problem napping a large, loud movie theater during Advengers 3-d! We always took them to the late show and they went to bed late. That is what vacation is about! You will be able to feed them in so many different places at so many different times that they won't be starving. They might even eat dinner early at the buffet and just have fruit and dessert at dinner service. You can ask your server to give you very speedy service in the MDRs too.

And I know about hives for real....I have Chronic Autoimmune Urticaria (basically, I'm allergic to myself and am always covered in hives unless I have many antihistamines and a very limited diet)!

I think it's possible to fit everyone in the room if you want/have to. Put two on the sofa bed (head at each end). The other one either on the bunk (if you are comfortable with it) or on the floor.

It's possible people will cancel before the PIF date. Keep checking or have your TA check regularly to have one of the staterooms moved closer.

The clubs seem to be a bit more relaxed about the kids being 3. If your children are potty trained and can use the toilet independantly and they have space in the club they allow them in.

If they can't go to the club you can stay and play with them during Open House hours.

Another thought if you don't want one triplet to actually stay with Grandma and Grandpa (they may think it's a great adventure) is to bring an air mattress at bedtime it slides up next to the couch bed (with 2 triplets on it) that way if someone falls off they land on the air mattress. Rotate the sleeping spots so everyone gets a turn everywhere. (which is what I'd to with G&G too)

Unfortunately, the couch converts only to a twin bed - it's not a pullout sofa - so you can only put them length-wise.

I really like all the ideas about inflatable mattresses/toddler bed - found several options I think could work well after searching - thanks for the suggestions! I'm thinking I could do one or two on the couch (if they'll be tired enough to leave each other alone!) and one (or two) on the floor on the inflatables. Probably bring 2 just in case! I also found a cabin that just came available (and snatched it up!) with the convertible couch and a murphy bed (no top bunk). Sooooo I guess I'm going to be lurking at 12:01 every night and hoping holds get let go and I can snap up what we need :)

Thanks for all the info - very helpful - keep it comin'

Another idea (I don't think it was mentioned).
If you have a room for 4 than there will be a sofa bed and a pull down bed (basically a bunk bed). You can get 2 bed rails for the queen size bed (just ask your room steward, they are free to use) and put all 3 girls in the queen bed. You could sleep in the pull down bed and DH can sleep on the sofa bed.

The sofa bed is not that wide so I don't think a 3 years old would fit width wise.

You could also ask for extra blankets from the room steward, those are free to use also and put 2-3 blankets doubled up on the floor as a matress for one of the girls.

We sailed on the Dream earlier this month with 3 kids in our room - 10, 9 & 4. We had the double bed for DH & I, the couch turns into a single, a single bunk pulls down from the ceiling and we also had a murphy bed come down from the wall. As far as the bunk goes, there is a rail on it, so that's somewhat safer. It's really up to your child - my 4y.o. rolls all over, so I didn't let him sleep up there. My middle child sleeps like a rock all night long, so I probably would have felt better about having him up there at a young age. I will second people's opinions about just bringing a sleeping bag maybe and putting someone on the floor if the kid will go for that.

As far as the late seating, that could be good or bad. We were originally assigned late seating but I switched us to early as I knew our 4 yo would not make it. Guess what? He STILL fell asleep at early dinner every night! So, if you could get the kids to conk out for a while in the room before dinner, they might be okay. If it's okay with the rest of your fam, have the TA go ahead and put in a request to be switched for early seating; they have a wait list. If the trip was booked through a TA, then the TA needs to be the one to call with any requests.

Finally, just so you know, kids who are not potty trained are not allowed in the pools - even in swim diapers. There is a splash play area on the deck next to the pools that non-potty trained kids can play in.

Oh, and they do nap now - I just hope they will in another 7 months or so! I think I've figured out that late dinner could work well. Have fun and play, etc until 3-ish and end that time with a substantial snack. Baths before a 4-ish nap so they'll be ready to get dressed for dinner later without a lot more work/time needed. While they nap, we could clean up (another reason connecting rooms would be awesome!!) and they'd probably be up 6-ish. We could get dressed, maybe make some shows and do a late dinner. Walk around a bit after dinner and get them to bed. May work out really well. I just hope they are still taking naps - not sure what to expect if they're not.

They aren't potty trained yet (26 months old now) - and very well could be, but I really don't want to feel pressured to make it happen, ready or not, to go on the trip. Not good for any of us that way. And I think I just might rather diapers than newly trained, accident prone toddlers. We'll just have to ride that one out and see where we are when we get there. That's not a big deal to me. I just wanted to make sure there's enough for them to do on the ship if they aren't potty trained - and aren't at OC or swimming.

THanks again - soooo much!!!

Oh, and they do nap now - I just hope they will in another 7 months or so! I think I've figured out that late dinner could work well. Have fun and play, etc until 3-ish and end that time with a substantial snack. Baths before a 4-ish nap so they'll be ready to get dressed for dinner later without a lot more work/time needed. While they nap, we could clean up (another reason connecting rooms would be awesome!!) and they'd probably be up 6-ish. We could get dressed, maybe make some shows and do a late dinner. Walk around a bit after dinner and get them to bed. May work out really well. I just hope they are still taking naps - not sure what to expect if they're not.

This is exactly how we made late dining work for us when DD was 3 years old on her first Disney cruise. We'd bring her back to the room sometime mid- to late-afternoon, get her bathed, and laid down for a nap. While she was napping, I'd order a snack from room service, then get showered up myself for the evening. Worked out just fine! Just be prepared the first night, our DD fell asleep at the dinner table.

As for sleeping arrangements, the sofa bed is definitely long enough to sleep two children toe-to-toe, unless your kids are exceptionally tall. ;)

Good luck and remember...it won't be like this for long. :goodvibes

So glad you are feeling better about it. I would also suggest being open to the kids club to allow you some time to rejuvinate and be an adult. I think that parents of triples have three extra reasons for needing some personal enjoyment time! I traveled on the Magic when my DD was 3.5. She LOVED the club. Disney, of course, makes it into a magical fun place that is right sized for little ones. Princesses "stopped by", they play acted on the stage, they ran around and also had quiet creative time. It was nothing like the "babysitter room" that I experienced on Royal Carib. The Disney castmembers gave me such a sense of comfort and I am a worrier by nature. I would love to cruise to some other destinations, but right now, the Disney clubs make our trip soooo much easier and enjoyable.

Oh and get your girls, if you have girls, princess dresses to wear ont he cruise. Mine wore hers ragged.

As a "MOM" (Mother of Multiples), I agree with a lot that has been said here. But having kids the exact same age is very different, especially with sleeping.
Have you ever heard of these?

http://www.amazon.com/Stay-Put-Infl...344877439&sr=8-2&keywords=inflatable+bed+rail

We had an older version and they were so appreciated on trips.

I am the biggest offender of this (so therefore, being a hypocrite when I say it, but.....) if you have grandparents to help, splitting up the girls at some points in the day or even at night might help. The rooms aren't big, and when my boys are together for too long in a small space, it isn't fun for anyone. But again, I am horrible about wanting them together all the time because it's so cute, I want one to watch out for the other, blah blah blah. So I get it if you just plow through and keep them together the whole time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter