Please help - thinking of buying a DVC!!!

Do you know if you own two or more contracts do you have to pay annual dues per contract, I heard of people who have 4 contracts. We have a nice agent he seems to be helping us a great deal, but their are so many questions and I draw a blank on the phone. He keeps trying to sell us AKV, but put us in the SSR, I wander if it is too late to make that another home resort. Thanks! Rob

Thank you all so much!!! We have a lot to think about!!! I am only hesitant because my husband is Military and we can get condo's near Disney for $370 for 7 nights and they are really great!

So he is leaning to no but I just love Disney resorts!!!:lovestruc

What branch of Service? I left Ft. Lewis, WA about 2 years ago, my last stop of a 13 year journey. I miss it but, I guess the VA is taking better care of me, I miss having a job and belonging to something. Good Luck! Rob

I did not know buying 2 160 pt. contracts was an option, it makes since but the down payment is more. I am lost on this stuff, my agent keeps telling me different months I can use certain points and they will match my points. I don't know if we are jumping the gun, but we have never been to WDW, but we are going to buy some sort of timeshare, just did not know thru who. This one makes the most since as far as vaction needs. I think! But with anything I am worried about the long commitment and if it pay off in the end, we don't live that far from WDW (about 500 miles) and we have a 3 year old girl that is love with all the Princess's as probably most little girls are, so this is more for her. But I have until 9 in the morning that is when I am going to make the down payment. Thanks! Rob

Sorry for interjecting my opinion here, but I think it's a bad idea to buy DVC when you've never been to WDW. Lots of people like WDW. Lots of people don't. You don't know yet whether your family will think it's the best place ever, or won't really care for it. Three years old is a very iffy age for WDW...what if you buy in, take her on her first trip, and she doesn't want to ride any rides, and is terrified of the characters? Happens all the time. Don't stick yourself with a very expensive, multi-decade commitment to something you don't even know if you'll like. You haven't even seen any of the resorts yet.

You mention a 9AM deadline....if you're trying to take advantage of a current promotion, there's no need to feel rushed. There is ALWAYS a promotion going on. Take your time, do the research. Take a trip to WDW and get a feel for the place before you buy. There may be a different 'deal' when you're ready to buy, but there will always be a deal.

What branch of Service? I left Ft. Lewis, WA about 2 years ago, my last stop of a 13 year journey. I miss it but, I guess the VA is taking better care of me, I miss having a job and belonging to something. Good Luck! Rob

We are in Port Angeles, WA my hubby is in the USCG!!! We were on the East Coast for 2 years and loved it. We are hoping for a southern station next!!! I want to be closer to WDW!!!!:banana:

Do you know if you own two or more contracts do you have to pay annual dues per contract, I heard of people who have 4 contracts. We have a nice agent he seems to be helping us a great deal, but their are so many questions and I draw a blank on the phone. He keeps trying to sell us AKV, but put us in the SSR, I wander if it is too late to make that another home resort. Thanks! Rob

You have to pay dues on your POINTS, whether they are in one contract or 20 contracts.

I bought DVC at OKW when I had never seen it. We had stayed at BCV, fell in love with Disney our first trip and then a few months later bought at OKW. OKW is our fav with AKV a close 2nd(Boma's breakfast rates very high for me)

A couple of clarifications I haven't seen anyone else explain.

The reason Disney is only selling at one place right now is that the others are sold out. Each place has a set maximumnumber of points to sell. Mathematically, this is the number of points that would fill each room every night of the year (although I think they hold a percentage out for management purposes). Think of it like a corporation that can sell 1,000,000 shares of stock - that's all that can be sold. When owners want to sell they can sell them directly (the resale market) with some approval of Disney or Disney can try to resell them. So sometimes they will have scattered points to sell.

The other thing - you can "bank" and "borrow" your points. If you own 300 points and can't use them in a given year, decide to do a non-Disney vacation, or whatever, you can bank them until the following year. If you want to do a really big thing - 2 weeks in Hawaii or a 15 day cruise, you can borrow from the next year.

We use our points in pieces - hubby and son spend long weekend in Florida each year during baseball spring training. Hubby and I usually take a week somewhere. Often family does a week in Hilton Head. We've done 3 cruises, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter