Please Help... Terrible Child Tantrums

mjaclyn

Currently in Wonderland
My little son who is just turning two this month has terrible tantrums. It usually happens when he's overtired or can't take his nap for some reason (probably occurs a couple of times a week). He'll cry uncontrollably, throw himself around on the floor, slap himself in the face and sometimes bang his head against the floor. I am SO worried about him. I didn't have this problem with DD 4 when she was his age. Yes, she had her moments but she never hit herself or threw herself around. I'm scared that he's going to really hurt himself. There have been a couple of times that he'll cry so hard that he'll throw up. He doesn't respond to anyone trying to comfort him and to be honest, I don't want him to think that it's okay to behave this way. I really don't know if something is actually wrong with him or if this is just the start of the terrible twos. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

My little son who is just turning two this month has terrible tantrums. It usually happens when he's overtired or can't take his nap for some reason (probably occurs a couple of times a week). He'll cry uncontrollably, throw himself around on the floor, slap himself in the face and sometimes bang his head against the floor. I am SO worried about him. I didn't have this problem with DD 4 when she was his age. Yes, she had her moments but she never hit herself or threw herself around. I'm scared that he's going to really hurt himself. There have been a couple of times that he'll cry so hard that he'll throw up. He doesn't respond to anyone trying to comfort him and to be honest, I don't want him to think that it's okay to behave this way. I really don't know if something is actually wrong with him or if this is just the start of the terrible twos. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

I did not have this type of experience with my DD9 at that age, but if I had I think I would have scheduled an appointment with my pediatrician. Especially if this a recent sudden start up of events. It could be a lot of things....sleep, diet (possibly a food allergy?), maybe something has happened to him he can't verbalize? I would definitely seek out a professionals advice on this one. Good luck, and hope things get better for you soon. :goodvibes

Just asking so we can create a clearer picture...when he does this how do you react?

It's really hard to say as this type of thing can obviously be different for different children. But if he's always been mild-mannered and this seems to be a new thing, I'd do like Donaldswife says and take him to the pediatrician.

I have a 4 yr old who has episodes like those you describe. She hurts others as well herself during her rages. But hers are assosiated with PTSD related to things that happened in her past. :sad1:

It very well could be that he's just hitting "that age", but it can't hurt to just have him evaluated and see if it's something more.

Good luck! I know how heartbreaking and frustrating it is to have to deal with these episodes. :guilty:

Sorry, but many kids have low threshholds and need their naps.
My son was that way, until Kindergarten.

Address that, meet your little one's needs, and see what happens.
Then, if necessary (and I don't think it will be) come back and ask for more specific suggestions.

He has had these tantrums for a few months but they used to be few and far between. It seems like they escalated when we took his pacifier away at the beginning of March. We had gone to California to visit my in-laws and he lost all three of his pacifiers that we brought there. He went probably 3 or 4 days in Cali without it (and was fine) so once we got home, I didn't want to give it back to him and have to start all over again. He cried for about a week at night and during naps until he got used to it. Then at the beginning of April we switched him to a 'big boy' room because he was getting too big for his crib. We made the whole room into a Cars room with a car bed, new paint, little chair his size, etc and he LOVED it. From night one he has had no problems at all going to sleep. During the day is a completely different story. He used to take naps like clockwork every day from 10am to 12pm. When we went to California that changed because of the time difference and the day we flew home was daylight savings so we lost another hour. I've tried laying in bed with him, bringing him for a ride in the car, warm milk... it's incredibly difficult to get him to take a nap during the day now without his pacifier. That is usually when the tantrums start. He is obviously overtired...yawning, rubbing his eyes and then his sister will take his toy or something minor will happen and he goes off the deep end. It will also happen if he falls asleep while I'm laying in his bed and then he wakes up and sees that I'm not there. Today he was so tired that he drank his bottle and fell asleep in his bed, but about 30 minutes later woke up and cried hysterically. If I come in and try to comfort him he pushes me away and will throw himself on the ground and slap himself in the face. If I hold him he thrashes around, kicks, screams and cries. If I talk to him sternly and tell him that he can't act this way he cries harder. If I leave the room to let him 'cry it out' he reaches out to me like he wants me there but then pushes me away again. I'm pretty sure that these episodes are from being so tired and not napping enough, but what worries me is how uncontrollable he is during these outbursts. I'm terrified that if this happens in public people will think he has some kind of problem with abuse. He has had absolutely nothing but love and attention his entire life. My husband and I do discipline our children but unless something they do can potentially hurt them (like trying to touch the stove when it's on or running from me in the parking lot..which yes, I will slap their hand or behind for) we have always used time outs and taking toys/privileges away. I am a stay at home mom and do not leave my kids with anyone I wouldn't trust with my life so I know he's not being hurt by anyone. He doesn't go to daycare or preschool so I have him pretty much all the time. I will talk to my pediatrician about this and see what he has to say as well.

** Just wanted to add... After trying to comfort him with no result, I left him in his room crying for about 15 minutes. When I went back in there he was still crying but I picked him up and hugged him, then cuddled with him on his bed. He calmed down and fell asleep immediately. It breaks my heart when he acts like that, I feel so helpless... **

Have you tried distraction techniques? While I know it is unnerving for you to be faced with a irate toddler, remaining calm is your best defense.

I would start reading a book while he wails, even if he does it through the whole book. I would pick up another book if he is still going and so on.

Eventually he will stop and want to listen. Repeat this every time.

Hopefully he gets the message that his tantrums are not going to send mommy into freak out mode and hopefully they will decrease in length to the point where instead of doing the tantrum before nap time he is listening to you read a book.

Anyway, that is just off the top of my head. There may be other things that are better than reading to use as distraction, just use the same principal.

He needs to learn to calm himself and is struggling right now. You have to remain perfectly calm during these tantrums to help him through.

He will get better you just have to live through this part.:goodvibes:hug:

He has had these tantrums for a few months but they used to be few and far between. It seems like they escalated when we took his pacifier away at the beginning of March. We had gone to California to visit my in-laws and he lost all three of his pacifiers that we brought there. He went probably 3 or 4 days in Cali without it (and was fine) so once we got home, I didn't want to give it back to him and have to start all over again. He cried for about a week at night and during naps until he got used to it. Then at the beginning of April we switched him to a 'big boy' room because he was getting too big for his crib. We made the whole room into a Cars room with a car bed, new paint, little chair his size, etc and he LOVED it. From night one he has had no problems at all going to sleep. During the day is a completely different story. He used to take naps like clockwork every day from 10am to 12pm. When we went to California that changed because of the time difference and the day we flew home was daylight savings so we lost another hour. I've tried laying in bed with him, bringing him for a ride in the car, warm milk... it's incredibly difficult to get him to take a nap during the day now without his pacifier. That is usually when the tantrums start. He is obviously overtired...yawning, rubbing his eyes and then his sister will take his toy or something minor will happen and he goes off the deep end. It will also happen if he falls asleep while I'm laying in his bed and then he wakes up and sees that I'm not there. Today he was so tired that he drank his bottle and fell asleep in his bed, but about 30 minutes later woke up and cried hysterically. If I come in and try to comfort him he pushes me away and will throw himself on the ground and slap himself in the face. If I hold him he thrashes around, kicks, screams and cries. If I talk to him sternly and tell him that he can't act this way he cries harder. If I leave the room to let him 'cry it out' he reaches out to me like he wants me there but then pushes me away again. I'm pretty sure that these episodes are from being so tired and not napping enough, but what worries me is how uncontrollable he is during these outbursts. I'm terrified that if this happens in public people will think he has some kind of problem with abuse. He has had absolutely nothing but love and attention his entire life. My husband and I do discipline our children but unless something they do can potentially hurt them (like trying to touch the stove when it's on or running from me in the parking lot..which yes, I will slap their hand or behind for) we have always used time outs and taking toys/privileges away. I am a stay at home mom and do not leave my kids with anyone I wouldn't trust with my life so I know he's not being hurt by anyone. He doesn't go to daycare or preschool so I have him pretty much all the time. I will talk to my pediatrician about this and see what he has to say as well.

Please do not take this the wrong way because I am not trying to be "destructive" but - if he's "too old" for a pacifier then he's too old for a bottle too - kwim? Clearly though if he still is using a bottle it is because he "needs" something from it beyond nutrition. Nothing wrong with that - every kid is different. I had one off the bottle at 9 months with no pacifier after 6 months, 1 off the bottle at 18 months and no pacifier after 6 months and one off the bottle at 2 and who still sucks her thumb at 10...

As much as we as parents want to get rid of bottles and pacifiers - every kid is different. Some need that soothing item for a bit longer than we would like.

From what you are saying this honestly does not sound like a behavioral issue. He is having problems coping and soothing himself. Some battles are not worth fighting and sometimes raising kids is a 2 steps forward 1 step back type of thing. There have been a lot of changes in 1 month. Big trip, no soothing item, new room, time change etc. That's a lot for a little guy to handle. I'd give the pacifier back and give see if that changes anything. Then I'd make the next goal to get the bottle away. When that is done then I'd go back to working on the pacifier.

Give him his pacifier and make sure he gets his scheduled naps and it seems your problem will be solved :confused3. My threshold for getting rid of pacifiers was by 3 yrs, a 2 yr old is still a baby in many ways. I wouldn't let him walk around with one, but having one at naptime still won't hurt anyone.

It sounds to me that there have been way too many changes and distractions happening for his little brain to process right now:

Trips to California to be with people he doesn't see all the time, staying in unfamiliar places with unfamiliar food and sights and sounds, travel, no pacifiers, new room with what sounds like visually stimulating decoration... plus not enough sleep.

Lots of adults would be grumpy and short-tempered if they had all those changes on their dockets.

Your son needs:
1. Time to adjust
2. Structure
3. NAPS
4. Time to adjust
5. Pacifiers back for a while

My son was having more and more violent "tantrums", they came seemingly out of the blue. He was getting violent with me (in retrospect he had quieter tantrums involving biting me (sidenote: being bit on the skin over the shoulder blade is a torture no one should experience) or scratching my face up but that's "all" he was doing in those moments).

I finally, a couple months after he turned 3, watched him go from a happy serene boy to a freaking out, kicking biting head-butting monster, 20 minutes after eating a DumDum lollipop. Once I got him under control (he's tall and I'm short so that just involved my holding him and keeping him from hurting me) he fell fast asleep, which I realized he'd done every other time before.

That day was my "aha" moment, and I thought it was b/c of HFCS. I started doing some reading and found that there are MANY kids and adults out there who cannot handle the stuff. I found out a few months later, when I had the opportunity to read an ingredient list, that there's no HFCS in DumDums, but rather plain old Corn Syrup.

So that meant he can't have corn syrup and I noticed with some other foods (breads! things like that) that HFCS is off limits as well. At Disneyland when he had a freakout after eating a Dole Whip, I found the ingredient list, and realized that now even corn syrup *solids* were off the list.

It might be food dyes, too, but since most foods without those 3 things also don't have food dyes in them, it's hard to tell. And no one really wants to experiment. Though there was an egg-dying moment when he had a big tantrum, after constantly licking his fingers (he was under 2) while doing the eggs...BUT he was also getting over a nasty nasty cold, and we'd just gotten home from a trip so he was extra tired, and I can't be sure about what caused that problem.

When DS doesn't have those things, he's absolutely fine. Sure he gets angry, but it's NOTHING like what it was when he was eating foods with those ingredients (like Uncrustables, which have corn syrup AND HFCS....those sandwiches, it turns out, were the cause of BAD zoo trips and one nasty evening to a great day at Disneyland, sigh).

Some people have violent reactions to gluten...some even have such reactions to dairy!

It's worth it, VERY worth it, to notice what he has been eating or drinking, before these tantrums. if you can see a common factor, that knowledge will be good. If you eliminate that food or an ingredient and the tantrums go away, you'll know. If they don't go away, then you'll also know. :)

It's worth it! Best of luck to you!

(oh, and it's not something mystical with the corn syrup, at least in my family...it really seems to be a blood sugar thing...DH monitors his blood sugar, and when he has something with one of those big 3, his glucose level spikes HIGH and FAST, then crashes...when DH has one of those ingredients, he passes out entirely, and osmetimes picks a fight with me before doing so. DS has a violent reaction and then falls asleep. These things do NOT happen with other sugars...cane sugar, cane syrup, tapioca syrup, brown rice syrup...those sugars do NOT do it to them...it's only the corn-based stuff.

Oh, also know that sometimes plain old CORN can do it to a person...we are lucky that it's not all corn for DH and DS, because we love corn and it would have been sad to say goodbye to it. Not to mention, when we're out and he's having pancakes and there's no safe syrup, he has powdered sugar on them...and powdered sugar is cut with corn starch to make it flow...xanthan gum is also corn, as is dextrose...there are countless products made from corn, even Febreze!, so to have an overall problem with corn is nearly as difficult as having a problem with gluten....)

My son was exactly like that. There was nothing wrong with him, we had him tested repeatedly. However, at 10 he still exhibits some similar behaviors. Obviously not to the toddler extreme but he still gets sulky, moody and stomps around when he is mad or upset.

I think a few things. Too many changes all at once. Not ready to leave the pacifier. I agree with the pp who said if he is still using a bottle, he might still need the pacifier. My nearly 3.5 year old just got rid of hers. She'd take it back if I offered.

He clearly needs naps and routine. If he is skipping a few times a week I'm thinking there isn't really a set routine. My DS needed structure and routine.

Lastly, ignore. The more I intervened the worse he got.

It really sounds to me like he wants desparately to sleep but is having a hard time soothing himself and settling down. It's understandable that you want him to give up the pacifier, but I think I would let him have it only for sleeping. At around that age, my boys were allowed to have theirs in their beds only. If they tried walking around the house with them, I would take them away. They would usually suck on them for a few minutes until they fell asleep. The next morning I would find them on the floor. All they needed were those few minutes of comfort so they could fall asleep. Since he gets so over-tired and reacts in such an extreme manner, I would let him have the pacifier for sleeping. After things settle down and he gets into a regular sleep pattern, he may decide he doesn't need it anymore.

It sounds to me that there have been way too many changes and distractions happening for his little brain to process right now:

Trips to California to be with people he doesn't see all the time, staying in unfamiliar places with unfamiliar food and sights and sounds, travel, no pacifiers, new room with what sounds like visually stimulating decoration... plus not enough sleep.

Lots of adults would be grumpy and short-tempered if they had all those changes on their dockets.

Your son needs:
1. Time to adjust
2. Structure
3. NAPS
4. Time to adjust
5. Pacifiers back for a while

Bingo

And AMEN!!! :worship:

Your son has not developed any methods to self soothe and to get himself unwound to settle in and nap. There have also been a ton of changes in his life.

If it were me,

I would return the pacifier - I have no issues with them, both my kids had them to age 4 when they could be reasoned with (and bribed) to give them up.

I would not sleep with him, that IMO is setting yourself up for many long days to come.

If giving the paci back is not an option for you then you need a new nap time routine that includes an exit by you when he is still awake. A favorite book, lullabye and lovey and then off to nap by himself.

Bottle - I'd much rather deal with a paci than a bottle

Tantrums in general - don't give in, put him to bed, let him have a fit in his room and don't be surprised to find him asleep in a corner.

Naptime is not something he is ready to give up, send him off to bed, let him take a book but make it clear that getting out of bed is not an option and then depart.

Thanks for the advice everybody. Here's a couple of answers to your comments/questions:

Yes, I definitely wanted to get rid of the bottle first and planned on doing it when we returned from California. However, when he went a number of days without the pacifier I felt that he had already begun the 'transition' of leaving the paci so I decided to go with that first. I was going to let him have it until he was about 2 1/2, but his pediatric dentist said that once a child turns 2 years old a paci can start to have bad effects on his mouth and teeth. I was also concerned about him talking. He is constantly very verbal but he does not speak very clearly yet. Children his age should be saying about 50 words clearly and he only says about half that. I thought that if we scrapped the pacifier he would have more opportunity to express himself and his speech would improve (which it has). I am absolutely going to get rid of the bottle but I wanted to space it out a little more because I feel like he's gone through a lot of change recently.

I also want to say again that the problem with him not sleeping is only at nap time. He goes to bed all on his own at night, no one lays with him in bed. He sleeps all night from 7:30pm to 6:00am without waking up. I actually just started laying in his bed a couple of weeks ago when he came down with a bad case of Croup and wasn't sleeping well. I had never slept with my kids before then and now I'm regretting it.

I also spoke with his pediatrician today. He told me that boys between 18 and 24 months often have these kinds of tantrums and that if we ignore them (as much as possible) he will realize that he is not receiving attention when he acts that way and will eventually stop. Of course I'm sure they will also get much better once his nap routine is back on track.

I think for now what I'm going to do is use the same bedtime routine for naps as we do for bedtime (without the bath). A quiet story, bottle and tucking him in should let him wind down. I would consider going back to the pacifier just for naps, but honestly getting rid of it was extremely difficult and I'd really hate to go down that road again.

I had this problem with my oldest DS when he was around 20 months. It lasted for probably 6 months. I should say that since this time my son has been diagnosed with sensory issues so...maybe that had something to do with it.

Anyway, I have a bit of a short temper. Not a hitting temper, but I'll yell, raise my voice, etc...Yelling at my 2 year old isn't a shining point in my life but we're only human right?

So getting upset wasn't working, yelling wasn't working. You are not going to win against a 2 year old who isn't capable of rational thought. What worked for me was changing MY approach.

It wasn't easy but I just started ignoring him. I'd leave him alone by walking out of the room. If he was throwing himself I'd calmly carry him to his room and leave him there. If we were in public I'd ignore him or just stop everything and leave if possible. These things worked. My son still gets upset, but he only escalates if I start to escalate.

I've had a lot of guilt about this because for six months if I could just have controlled my tones and reactions he probably wouldn't have had so many tantrums. My younger DS is entering the "terrible twos" and he also will start with tantrums but I just pretend I don't hear them and within a few minutes he's moved on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter