Please help - single mom with young kids

Jackiet123

Earning My Ears
I'm planning on visiting last week in January for 3 nights 2 days before heading to see family at the beach area.

I have 5 year olds boy/girl. I know we will do magic kingdom one day and the other day likely Hollywood studios (although they want sea world).

Can someone help me plan? I'm new to single mom travel and anxious about this. I'm overwhelmed. Can someone recommend which rides for this age? The girl is only 40 inches, the boy is 47 inches but we can't leave her back so this adds to ride issues.

So what rides/attractions would you see in one day? Likely wed 1/28 for magic kingdom. Also, which rides do I need to be mindful about that are two seaters. Thanks!

We are staying off property in downtown disney so I will attempt 30 days out fast pass. Which ones should I do?

Thanks

I like this site for planning- **************.net. I know there is a fast pass thread on this board that should help.

I would also check out easywdw.com for their touring plans. And also touringplans.com they have plans for small children in the free section.

Don't stress about doing every ride, just have fun. I took my two kids (age 4 and 6) this year while their dad was deployed and we had a blast. My older one is tall enough to go on a lot of big rides and is a thrill ride junkie. However the most adventurous my younger one is, is riding Dumbo or the Magic Carpets. We simply did rides that they were both comfortable with. It will be very busy when you go, if you have tickets ahead of time, get your FP+ lined up now for must do rides or character meet and greets. It is very doable, but take it at your kids' pace :) Have fun!

Hi!
Given the ages of your children, I would really suggest MK for both days. There really is so much to see and do between the attractions, parades, characters and fireworks. I think your son and daughter would have more than enough to do!!

Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh and Dumbo are tame rides - and great for that age. If your kids are thrill riders, you can definitely try Seven Dwarf Mine Train and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

Have a great trip!

I'm planning on visiting last week in January for 3 nights 2 days before heading to see family at the beach area.

I have 5 year olds boy/girl. I know we will do magic kingdom one day and the other day likely Hollywood studios (although they want sea world).

Can someone help me plan? I'm new to single mom travel and anxious about this. I'm overwhelmed. Can someone recommend which rides for this age? The girl is only 40 inches, the boy is 47 inches but we can't leave her back so this adds to ride issues.

So what rides/attractions would you see in one day? Likely wed 1/28 for magic kingdom. Also, which rides do I need to be mindful about that are two seaters. Thanks!

We are staying off property in downtown disney so I will attempt 30 days out fast pass. Which ones should I do?

Thanks

Hi!
Given the ages of your children, I would really suggest MK for both days. There really is so much to see and do between the attractions, parades, characters and fireworks. I think your son and daughter would have more than enough to do!!

Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh and Dumbo are tame rides - and great for that age. If your kids are thrill riders, you can definitely try Seven Dwarf Mine Train and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

Have a great trip!

I agree. There just isn't enough for young kids at DHS, and it will take more than a day to do it all at the MK.

With only two days and having two five year olds I also would second going to MK for two days. However, if one or both of the kids are huge Disney Junior Fans, then I would do Hollywood studios.

If they are big Dis Jr. fans then I would consider doing a character meal at Hollywood and Vine at Hollywood Studios. We did last January and my 5 year old LOVED it. It is Jake, Sofia, Doc Mcstuffins, and Handy Manny.

At 5 my dd still liked the Disney jr puppet show at HS but she wasn't real thrilled with it even though she really loves the shows on TV. She liked Toy story so definitely get a fp+ for that if you can. They would like star tours and running around on the playground, and maybe the puppet show though my dd thought it was boring.

Other than that there really isn't going to be a whole lot at Hollywood Studios for their age, whereas you can fill in two full days easily at MK. My last trip was to all the parks with a 5 year old so if you have any questions about a particular ride feel free to pm. Josh on easywdw.com has excellent ride reviews of each ride though that tells you scary factor and anything you could want to know.

Have fun!

Another vote for magic kingdom both days, unless your kids are big Star Wars fans and want to do Jedi training.

7DMT and BTMRR are two seater roller coasters. Your son, at 47", may be able to ride behind you but they will definitely make you ride with your daughter who is only 40". She won't be able to ride Space Mountain- I think it's 44".

My sister took her 2 children twice while a single mom, and she just planned ahead to make sure that she knew which rides were available height-wise for her younger son who was 5 the first time they went. It did cut down on the rides that the older daughter (8) got to do, but that was something she knew ahead of time and made sure her daughter knew which rides just weren't do-able this trip. She was an uber planner, and her trips went off without a hitch....

Another vote for magic kingdom both days, unless your kids are big Star Wars fans and want to do Jedi training.

7DMT and BTMRR are two seater roller coasters. Your son, at 47", may be able to ride behind you but they will definitely make you ride with your daughter who is only 40". She won't be able to ride Space Mountain- I think it's 44".

Just a minor correction...BTMRR can fit 3 in a row.

Everyone has given you great advice but I would like to repeat that two days in MK would probably be your best bet for kids that age.

I'm sure you'll have a great trip no matter what.

I would do Magic Kingdom both days.

Keep in mind, there are a few rides where they will not allow 3 to sit in a row, and they will not allow a 5 year old to ride alone. Mine Train and Barnstormer are the two I can think of right off the top of my head. I got to the loading area of barnstormer with my 4 year old twins and was told we could not ride unless I came up with another adult to ride with one of my girls :rolleyes: Just a warning so you don't have to drag 2 crying kids down the exit ramp like I did. That was not fun :sad2:

Magic Kingdom has more that would interest 5 year olds, so that is where I would focus the two days. You can easily spend 2 days there and still not see or do everything!

Thanks for the tips. My kids are coming out of the jake, Sophia, and doc craze so maybe I will skip Hollywood studios. They've never been into toy story either.

Great tips on riding with the kids and knowing ahead of time. Mine would be screaming down exit ramp as well!!

I haven't been to Epcot in years but I remember being bored in 6th grade there so thinking my kindergarten age kids would be. Is that not the case?

Two days magic kingdom sounds much more fun. I don't feel as rushed. I will let the kids set the pace more then.

Thanks for the tips. My kids are coming out of the jake, Sophia, and doc craze so maybe I will skip Hollywood studios. They've never been into toy story either.

Great tips on riding with the kids and knowing ahead of time. Mine would be screaming down exit ramp as well!!

I haven't been to Epcot in years but I remember being bored in 6th grade there so thinking my kindergarten age kids would be. Is that not the case?

Two days magic kingdom sounds much more fun. I don't feel as rushed. I will let the kids set the pace more then.

Then I would totally skip DHS! You could divide MK into sections so you're not running all over the park all day. Make sure to see the afternoon parade, it's great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter