Please help me understand this...

points envy

Earning My Ears
My family and I are booked at our home resort for jersey week 2014. There is still availability for us to treat my in-laws for the same week. However, we'll have to borrow 29 2015 points. Our worry is that the in-laws might not be healthy enough beyond jersey week 2014. So who cares about borrowing the points? But, what if we have to cancel the second reservation because of unforeseen reasons? What happens to the 29 points if cancelled prior to the 30 day window? And/or what happens to the 29 points if cancelled within the 30 day window? Happy holidays!

It depends when your use year is. If you cancelled prior to 30 days, you would have to use those points before your current UY is up. If you cancelled within 30 days, those days go into holding and have to be used in 60 days, or less if your UY is closer than 60 days. When is your UY?

It depends when your use year is. If you cancelled prior to 30 days, you would have to use those points before your current UY is up. If you cancelled within 30 days, those days go into holding and have to be used in 60 days, or less if your UY is closer than 60 days. When is your UY?

Good point... Use year is June. What needs to happen from November to June?

Good point... Use year is June. What needs to happen from November to June?

If you are going during Jersey week, then you would be in your June 2014 UY. Your borrowed 2015 points would then become June 2014 UY points, technically. If you cancel the reservation prior to 30 days before, your borrowed points go right back into your current June 2014 UY, so you would have to use them by May 31, 2015. If you cancel the reservation within the 30 days, your points go into holding and you would have to use them within 60 days.

Keep in mind that if you cancel their reservation within 30 days, ALL the points (current and borrowed) that were used for that reservation will be placed into holding and have to be used within 60 days. If you cancel prior to 30 days, your current year's points (2014) that you used for the trip will go right back into your June 2014 UY(and still be able to be banked if needed by January 31, 2015) and it would only be your borrowed points that would expire May 31, 2015. Hope I explained it right...it can be confusing! :)

... If you cancel the reservation within the 30 days, your points go into holding and you would have to use them within 60 days.

Keep in mind that if you cancel their reservation within 30 days, ALL the points (current and borrowed) that were used for that reservation will be placed into holding and have to be used within 60 days. ...

The borrowed points would be returned to the 2014 Use Year and would need to be used prior to May 31, 2015. If the reservation is canceled within 30 days of arrival, the points can only be used to make a reservation within 60 days of arrival - but still won't expire until May 31, 2015. The borrowed points cannot be banked.

If all the points are from the same home resort then member services should be able to adjust the points (if cancelled 31 or more days out so not in holding) to be a part of your reservation and take current use years from yours so they could be banked.

The borrowed points would be returned to the 2014 Use Year and would need to be used prior to May 31, 2015. If the reservation is canceled within 30 days of arrival, the points can only be used to make a reservation within 60 days of arrival - but still won't expire until May 31, 2015. The borrowed points cannot be banked.

Thanks for the clarification! ;) So you just have to make a NEW reservation within 60 days, not actually go on vacation in 60 days, if I'm reading correctly? Those points would still expire May 31, 2015. But in the instance that she cancels within 30 days and they do go into holding, even her current year's points would have to be used by May 31, 2015, correct?

Thanks for the clarification! ;) So you just have to make a NEW reservation within 60 days, not actually go on vacation in 60 days, if I'm reading correctly? Those points would still expire May 31, 2015. But in the instance that she cancels within 30 days and they do go into holding, even her current year's points would have to be used by May 31, 2015, correct?

Right - if you cancel within 30 days, the points expire at the end of your UY (5/31/15), but can only be used to book a reservation 60 days before checkin. All the points used for the canceled reservation (borrowed or not) would be in holding and thus subject to these rules.

Of course if you cancel on the day you were supposed to checkin, the points are lost.

In addition to the above, be aware of the following if those points are all for your home resort, which is assumed since you would be making the reservation now. If you cancel more than 30 days out, and you get someone at MS who knows what they are doing (so you may have to call more than once until you get someone who does), you will be allowed to replace June 2014 points used in your own reservation with those borrowed points from June 2015. Thus, you could end up with June 2014 points that could be banked.

So you just have to make a NEW reservation within 60 days, not actually go on vacation in 60 days, if I'm reading correctly?
You have to make a new reservation within 60 days of check-in for the new reservation, not within 60 days from the date the points go into the holding account. The OP would have until 5/31/15 to use the holding points but the stay could not be booked more than 60 days in advance of check-in. For example, the OP could cancel in November 2014 (putting the points in holding) and then on March 10, 2015 book a stay with a check-in date no later than May 9, 2015.

You could make this easier, and just put yourself as the lead in one room, and your spouse as the lead in the other. Then if you have to cancel a room, cancel the one with bankable points, and use the second reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter