Please help me understand the risk...

ldietiker

Disney dreaming...
While I'm not a brand new owner, I haven't been able to book that many stays either. This morning, I realized (quite by accident) that my 11-month booking window just opened up for a possible trip in January 2013... and rooms are available and we have enough points! :banana: Even better - it's in California where we'd be able to escape northern weather and visit family.

However, there are also major issues: (a) I'm on the job market and do not know which university I will be at (although it's most likely in the north east), and the dates I pick now might end up being in conflict with the university calendar, (b) I was not planning for this trip and when we get around to really thinking about it, we might prefer to do something else, and/or (c) while I'm confident I'll have a job, since I don't know where yet, I can not clearly predict what financial state my family will be at that point.

So, if I book now while the room is available by borrowing 2013 points (because we have June use-year), but change my mind later, what do I lose? I'm guessing that the points will expire if we don't use them by May 31, 2013 (correct?). So later, if I later cancel, I would need to try to book for a different time between Jan and May, either in CA or in WDW to use the points (correct?)

If this is correct, is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks!!

You are correct about the borrowed points expiring May 31, 2013. You will be able to bank any 2012 points used as long as you cancel before 30 days out.

As well, you would be able to use the borrowed points anytime between June 1, 2012 and May 31, 2013. You could cancel the Jan 2013 vacation and book September 2012 using the borrowed points for example.

Just to clarify since you mentioned you are a new owner and UY sometimes can be confusing - but you've used all your 2012 points? If so and you need to borrow to make the reservation then you are correct that the points need to be used by May 31, 2013. If you had 2012 points that you could use then you could still bank them into your 2013 UY if you cancelled 30 days or more out and you wouldn't have to use them by May 2013.

Another thing that should be able to be done is if you have another reservation using 2012 points and you need to cancel the Jan reservation but it was prior to your stay in 2012 then MS could probably substitute the 2013 points for 2012 points to free up bankable points. That isn't an option though if it would circumvent any home priority booking but if you own at just one property that isn't a problem.

I believe that you must cancel 31 days or more, not 30, to avoid having points going into holding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter