Please help me understand the DAS...

almburr

DIS Veteran
I don’t know if my Boyfriend would qualify for the DAS? He has C-PTSD. I don’t want to go into to much detail but was home bound for a few years and now is starting to go back out more into the public. He has a Service dog to help mitigate crowds. (Not a ESA). Crowds can be overwhelming at times. But he has me to be a blocker and navigator. He really wants to do Disney with me and see the excitement. I’m going to plan breaks and times where we can sit and people watch. Go back to room and recharge. We are planning a trip in one years time. So I am in planning mode now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No one here can tell you if will qualify for a DAS. I will say it sounds like you have a good plan. Breaks are essential. The biggest thing is to minimize expectations. Remember to take things slow and find quiet places to unwind. Best of luck to you both.

A DAS is only given when you can explain why you cannot wait in lines that are not mobility or stamina related.

You don't have to explain here because we can't guarantee he would or would not qualify for DAS, but you/he will need to explain at Guest Services about his challenges related to waiting in a standard queue environment. Not a long detailed story, just a few short bullet points; no need for diagnosis info.

The first post of this thread explains DAS at WDW: https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/

Feel free to come back and ask questions as your planning progresses.

Enjoy your vacation!

I don’t know if my Boyfriend would qualify for the DAS? He has C-PTSD. I don’t want to go into to much detail but was home bound for a few years and now is starting to go back out more into the public. He has a Service dog to help mitigate crowds. (Not a ESA). Crowds can be overwhelming at times. But he has me to be a blocker and navigator. He really wants to do Disney with me and see the excitement. I’m going to plan breaks and times where we can sit and people watch. Go back to room and recharge. We are planning a trip in one years time. So I am in planning mode now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The DAS lets you wait outside the line for the standby time and then go back to the line thought the FP line it is need-based not DX so you or him will need to go to GR and talk to the CM about his need for the line and why he can not be in the stander line for a long time.

taking breaks and going at a quieter time is a very good idea

He also has to consider what to do with the service dog on attractions - some have kennels the dog has to wait in, others don't.

He also has to consider what to do with the service dog on attractions - some have kennels the dog has to wait in, others don't.
Yes I knew about crates at some rides. He wants me to enjoy the rides that he can’t ride. But there is a chance that he will be getting her into some advanced training so she might not be going. That’s where I would come in and help more. I can see when he’s hitting threshold and when he needs to be redirected so he doesn’t disassociate.

I would highly suggest that you go at the slowest time of year possible. The crowds most of the year now are getting unbearable, even for those of us who do not have an issue with them. Have a fun trip.

I would highly suggest that you go at the slowest time of year possible. The crowds most of the year now are getting unbearable, even for those of us who do not have an issue with them. Have a fun trip.
Yes this I find the first week of September ( beside the Monday holiday) pretty good. I do not know how fair you are but the parks die down and I do mean die down before a hurricane hits and if your a FL resident and need to evacuate I have heard they give discounts on hotel room.

Yes this I find the first week of September ( beside the Monday holiday) pretty good. I do not know how fair you are but the parks die down and I do mean die down before a hurricane hits and if your a FL resident and need to evacuate I have heard they give discounts on hotel room.

When our kids were young, we would check in that Wed after labor day. It was dead. The cast members said that everyone checked out the day before from being there for the holiday weekend. We love that time of year, for crowd purposes. It is super hot though.

When our kids were young, we would check in that Wed after labor day. It was dead. The cast members said that everyone checked out the day before from being there for the holiday weekend. We love that time of year, for crowd purposes. It is super hot though.
Yes it can be supper hot the last few year have not been bad. I have gone this time a years now.

I will definitely be looking at the slower times. We have decided that he wants to try with out his SD. So he’s found an excellent trainer and we plan to send her for the week we are gone. We will go slow. If he’s not feeling up to a full day or even go to one of the parks we will stay back and chill. I’ve gotten better at noticing the changes and helping him.

I will definitely be looking at the slower times. We have decided that he wants to try with out his SD. So he’s found an excellent trainer and we plan to send her for the week we are gone. We will go slow. If he’s not feeling up to a full day or even go to one of the parks we will stay back and chill. I’ve gotten better at noticing the changes and helping him.

Don't feel bad about doing partial days. I do partial days now too and it really makes the stay more enjoyable. It is quality not quantity that counts.

Don't feel bad about doing partial days. I do partial days now too and it really makes the stay more enjoyable. It is quality not quantity that counts.
Yes. I want it to be enjoyable for both of us. I’m the type that could do the rope drop to closing type of person. But I know it will be very overwhelming at times for him. So if we lounge around the pool and just go for dinner, so be it.

Yes. I want it to be enjoyable for both of us. I’m the type that could do the rope drop to closing type of person. But I know it will be very overwhelming at times for him. So if we lounge around the pool and just go for dinner, so be it.

This is why when we go with our youngest child the resortwe choose is so important to us. We spend a lot of time at the resort and being comfortable and calm there helps make our time at the parks more enjoyable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter